This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First weekend at the new job.

It has been a long time since I have actually posted something that happened at work. I haven't worked outside of my home since 11/23/06. It feels good to be back working even though this job is far from being classified as real work.

As I explained here, I started my new job yesterday. It's not a hard job which is good for me and all of my health issues. I mostly do general policing of the mess others leave, which isn't hard, or at least wasn't on my first two days. I make change as the owner will not install a change machine. One of my duties is laundering service, which basically entails someone dropping off their laundry and I wash and dry them. It's only a once or twice a day thing. This costs roughly double what it would cost for you to come in and do it yourself. (you do it, 2.50 total to wash and dry one load. I do it and the cost goes to 4.50 per load if you supply the detergent and 5.00 if you want us to use ours [Tide Scent Free]) If you want the items folded and or hung, that costs an additional 2.00 per load. So play along kiddies, full wash and fold service with our detergent would be 7.00 per load and 6.50 if you bring your own.

The Bold And The Entitled

This woman came in, leaving her freshly washed, black Lexus RS350 parked at the curb right under the "NO STOPPING OR PARKING" sign which is about 75 feet from the front door of the laundromat and walked in empty-handed.

SC: another local entitlement whore
    ME: Humble new laundry guy.

SC: I have 3 loads of laundry out in my car for wash and fold service.
    ME: Great. I have plenty of time. Will you be using your own or our detergent?
    SC: I have my own.
    ME: Wonderful. I'll get things ready while you bring them in.
    SC: That's your job. The back door is unlocked.
    ME: Sorry ma'am, but I'm not allowed to leave the store. (True. I'm not allowed to go out of the building except when I'm having a smoky treat and then only right outside the door.
    SC: Jules (the guy I replaced) always did it for me. It's OK, I'll keep the dryers from escaping while you get them.
    ME: I'm sorry Ma'am, but maybe him not doing what he was told is the reason he's not here anymore. Since this is my second day, I'm not going to do anything I was told not to. I'm sorry.

My failure to move must have signaled to her that I was serious.

SC: You're serious? I have to bring my own laundry in?
    ME: If you want them cleaned, yes.

SC huffs but returns to her "car" and brings in her laundry, her froo-froo expensive organic detergent and bleach all in one load. I got her name and told her they would be ready at about 7pm. Luckily, I had them finished at 6:30 or so because at 6:35 she returned.

SC pays and then starts looking through her stuff and bitches about how I folded her delicates.

My Friend, What's His Name? Does It All The Time

The other problem (both of these were today as I worked with my friend yesterday as a kind of orientation) was a woman who swore that the owner (her friend) always did her wash and dry service for just the cost of the washer/dryer. She failed horribly when she couldn't tell me what her friend's (my boss and really my friend) name was.

Overall, it was fun, but because I've not worked in a long time, I'm as tired as if I ran a marathon.
    This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
    The other problem (both of these were today as I worked with my friend yesterday as a kind of orientation) was a woman who swore that the owner (her friend) always did her wash and dry service for just the cost of the washer/dryer. She failed horribly when she couldn't tell me what her friend's (my boss and really my friend) name was.

Overall, it was fun, but because I've not worked in a long time, I'm as tired as if I ran a marathon.
    You don't understand their friendship, it trancends material things like money, names, or being able to pick them out of a lineup.
    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

I love my friend, 'what's his name'. *snerk* Yeah, critical fail, lady.
      I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Good luck at the new job. When I was in high school, my dad owned a laundromat that offered the 'drop off' service you're describing. Granted, this was 20 years ago, but just a word of warning: be prepared for the kind of things you will find in the pockets and WEAR GLOVES.

I've found some truly appalling things: Drugs, condoms, notes from apparent affairs, needles, dog crap (yes, in a pants pocket - WTF) - just to name a few.

The vast majority of the people were decent, but the ones that cracked me up were the ones that we'd find drugs in their pocket, hand it to them, and they'd not even be embarassed or appalled. In fact, they'd come back the next week like it was nothing!
        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Oh, we don't even look into the pockets. (There is even a sign to that effect but we all know they don't read them) If they're stupid enough to not empty them before they bring them to the laundromat, that's their fault. We have a drawer full of crap that has been left in the washers/dryers. You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) at the stuff in the drawer. Pill cases or prescription bottles, scissors, tools like screwdrivers and pliers, cards of one sort or another (mostly membership or prescription cards), CD's and DVD's, pens and pencils, car keys, etc. The weirdest thing in there that I noticed was a digital camera. Any change left in pockets that falls out during washing or drying becomes the property of the person finding it. I made 37ยข on Saturday!!!
          Last edited by bigjimaz; 01-07-2008, 09:35 PM.
          This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

After finding dog crap in someones pocket, I tended to become rather numb to any other 'surprises' left after that.

When we first started doing 'drop-off'. We didn't check the pockets either. But then a pen or something would go through the cycle and be a huge mess to clean up, so we started doing it. This was well before the days of people being so litigious, so we never posted a sign, we just started emptying pockets before we threw them in.
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

We had to clean out pockets when I worked for a dry cleaner. Pens melt in the dry cleaning machine and make one heck of a mess. And always in the white loads Lipstick did the same thing

Comment

Ye gods, I'm having flashbacks to the 8 friggin' months I worked at a dry cleaners (I got paid more than the craft store but it was deadly dull).

Most people were pretty good about emptying their pockets but the incident that sticks out in my mind had nothing to do with clothes. It was the guy telling me that the definition of chimera as something that does not exist predated chimera the monster. Admittedly, he did come back a couple days later & admitted that I was right. So he wasn't completely sucky.
                I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Working...
                X