This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Crash = fun stuff (long)

I have been out of work for a few months and accepted a seasonal position at a major department store, things have been going well until today that is.

well today the entire computer system crashes we could do simple transactions such as sales when there was cash or a credit card involved (it wouldn't take debit however) but giftcards/exchange cards were out of the question since the computer couldn't look up how much they were worth and there was no work around.

Returns were a pain in the butt because even with a receipt the computers couldn't retrieve the transaction and would take the merchandise as not having a receipt, this was sort of easy to work around, we can change the prices so they get back what they paid, but that needed a manager approval, and we needed a manager override so they can get their money back in the form they paid since without a receipt they could only get store credit. And gift receipts were out of the question since they don't contain the information on how much was paid and there is really no way to look it up otherwise.

And finally whenever somebody used the store credit card it would automatically pop up to the call for authorization screen, this was pretty easy to get around since there was a number we could plug in that would work every time.

So you can imagine the crap we got today. first of all the people who would challenge me when I said the system was down asking questions like "well why is it down?" "can't you fix it?" or my favorite "well what are you gonna do for me?". Or the people that would huff and puff and go "this is absolutely ridiculous" or some variation thereof or the best one "really well, (competitor)'s computers are working)

but the best was this one woman who wanted to return a $150 jacket, I had to change the price from the $50 it was going to give her which needed a manager approval and she paid with her store credit card which would need his override. At the time he was helping another person with a similar situation and there was another cashier in another section that needed his override so it would be a minute. I explain this to the woman and apologize for the inconvenience and she huffs and puffs and waits for about a minute before asking if the main customer service center could help her and the following ensued.

Me: "well probably not since all the managers are on the floor right now running from register to register overriding and approving pretty much every transaction"

Her: *sigh* "well this is ridiculous he should be here by now it's not that busy"

Me: "It'll just be a few more seconds sometimes the overrides take a minute because he has to do more than one per transaction"

Her: "well i'm just going to go there, i'm sure THEY can help me"

about a minute later he comes by and I tell him what happened and just then we hear him paged to customer service to which he says that she now has to wait longer because there are 3 transactions ahead of that one.

There was more but I just realized this is a lot longer than I intended it to be...so I'll say fortunately by 1:30 everything was up and back to normal.
    Last edited by Millahtyme1983; 01-07-2008, 11:17 PM. Reason: rewording a few things

Some people need 'Patience is a virtue' tattooed to their arm so that they learn that just simply waiting a few extra minutes will probably save you a huge amount of time later.
    Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Comment

Reading this kind of stuff makes my day. Not that I'm happy you had a bad day or anything, but I love to see it when an impatient, entitled SC is made to wait longer due to their need to be an asshat.
      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

This is when my old manager would have given people her auth code and then changed it after the system was back up.

I like B&N's gift receipts...they just have a letter code to tell you the price. Each number 0-9 has a corresponding letter, you hit the appropriate button, type in the letters and it translates. So if the connection is down it doesn't matter. Plus if you can remember the code you can figure it out in your head.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Millahtyme1983 View Post
          Her: "well i'm just going to go there, i'm sure THEY can help me"
          Of course they can. Magically, their computers work, even when the servers are down. [/sarcasm] Numbskull.
          I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

It's just completly out of the question. The problem was all your fault, because we all know that computers don't just never ever ever break down. Just like cars, toasters, washing machines and so on.

So the logical conclusion is it was all your fault. Perfect logic!

Some people
            http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
            Melody Gardot

Comment

Working...
            X