Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are people so uppity when it comes to putting their bags behind the counter?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, many thoughts after making it through the entire thread. Quite a long one, and interesting to see the differing views. Of course, now I'm going to be lengthy trying to fit all my thoughts into my response.

I'll start with saying this: while I understand not wanting to leave your things for fear of theft or leaving medical supplies, I also feel like this is an instance where an ounce of preparation solves all those issues. My dad is diabetic, but he keeps his supplies in a small pouch that he'd be allowed to hang onto. And I have never been into a store that would ask you to leave your purse, unless the purse was the size of a tote bag - and when I carry a purse that big, the important/stealable stuff is usually in a small wallet/bag inside of it, so I could just pull that out. I usually carry too much stuff (a book, gum, lip gloss, hand lotion, a bottle o' pills, etc) in my purse, but I wouldn't be terribly worried about anything other than my actual wallet disappearing. (I keep my keys and phone in my pockets, generally)

Personally, I don't take offense at any policy that, as at least one poster put it so well, cannot assume I'm not a shoplifter. I am not a shoplifter, and I know that, so I have nothing to worry about. Store policy is store policy, and as many have said, if it really bothers them that much, they may as well go elsewhere for a better experience. Again, personally, I just don't see the point in being bothered by it - but I tend to not be real concerned with other people's opinions/false assumptions.

I know some people have said that they much prefer stores having LP, as opposed to asking you leave your bags, as it seems "lazy" or "invasive." In my eyes, it seems more effective - I can't possibly put anything in my bag, therefore no one will have any reason to go into it, whereas if I did something "suspicious" I'd have to deal with LP. Also, chances are LP isn't going to see everything that people do - and at least taking big bags out of the equation means the size/quantity of things being stolen will decrease.

Finally, I agree with people who've mentioned that it would be helpful if lockers were provided, or security/cameras were present to keep an eye on the bags. It also would help if tickets were used, so you couldn't claim your bag without having your ticket, or at the very least, identifying the contents - that would at least reduce any theft by non-employees. Much the same way I won't use a coat check if I don't get a little ticket and see that my coat is being put somewhere safe, I would be a lot happier about leaving my bag if I felt it would be safe, and not out in the open for anyone to rifle through. While I'm sure it's possible and I'm pretty sure I've seen stores where they simply put up signs stating that they're not responsible/liable for your stuff but ask you too leave it anyways, I think the policy itself would go over much better if the owner took a few simple steps to make it feel safe and well thought out.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

The place I work at checks my jacket, purse and anything else I have on me when I leave. I don't get offended because although I know I would never steal anything, THEY DON'T. If you can't trust your own employees, why should the customers be trusted, either ? I think this whole "I'll take my business elsewhere" attitude reeks of the same SCness that we all complain about. Does this mean that we're really no different than the people we disparage on this board ?
      Last edited by ShootMePlease; 01-12-2008, 09:33 PM.
      Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Hmm, I have a problem with these policies since I carry around a backpack because I have medical equipment and medicines I need to take with me everywhere I go. My psp, games and nice headphones ( easily $500 worth of stuff) also go with me because I have the attention span of a fruit fly on crack in a kaliediscope.

If I need my meds, or someone does steal my bag (hell mistakes happen too) the store has no way of insuring what's in my bag,nor will they. So I'd rather not take a chance, and think leaving is the best policy.

Edit: I carry meds for 3 different conditions in addition to an unfoldable cane (for when I am out and get to a point where I'm gimping too much to walk normal) so a small pouch is not gonna work.

Edit2: I have no problem opening my bag so they can check and make sure that I haven't stuffed a bunch of merch into my it.
        Last edited by aniwahya; 01-12-2008, 10:55 PM.
        The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury. - Marcus Aurelius
        If you're slower than me, stupider than me, and you taste good...you're dinner - Anthony Bourdain

Memento mori.

Comment

I don't particularly like that policy, either. I know you can't tell who a shoplifter is just by looking at them, but isn't the mere attitude of assuming that everybody that comes in the store with a bag is suspect bad customer relations? That's insulting potential customers before they even set foot in your door.

That being said, if I'm asked for my shopping bags, I'd like as not leave and maybe come back later. However, heaven help any store that tries to separate me from my purse! Most places won't try to take a woman's purse (Usually because of threat of bloodshed! ). Most airlines have been limiting carry-ons to one only, excluding purses/handbags. Generally, women's purses/handbags are seen on par with men's wallets.

As for university bookstores. I've been in NMSU's, UNM's, and CNM's. They do require that you leave your backpack or bookbag in a cubby (CNM actually does have lockers that lock), but they have never made anyone leave their purse out there.
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
            ...What sometimes annoys me is when I leave a store and they insist on checking my receipt...
            Unless you're shopping at a membership-based store (like Costco or Sam's Club) you don't have to stop. You're free to ignore the checker and walk straight out. That's what I do. If you set off the alarm it's a different story. If they have reason to suspect you're shoplifting and you refuse to let them search you're bag their only options are; to let you go, or try placing you under citizen's arrest and call the police. Loss prevention agents are very reluctant to do the latter since they lack the liability protection real cops do. A false arrest can lead to their termination and a big lawsuit for the company.
            Mon aéroglisseur est plein des anguilles!"

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
              The only other logical reason I could see for lugging around a bookbag or something of that nature is if you're walking or riding a bike rather than driving. Then again, that's just my way of thinking.
              Which is precisely the sort of thing I and most of my friends tend to do. Well, I use a mobility scooter because of my health issues, but it's the same principle. I don't HAVE a lockable, opaque car boot to shove things into.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I think this whole "I'll take my business elsewhere" attitude reeks of the same SCness that we all complain about.
                How is shopping elsewhere being a SC? What, we're REQUIRED to shop at stores we don't like? Let's me be blunt: FUCK THAT!

I'll shop at stores that I like. I'm a good customer. I pay for everything. I'm polite. I wait my turn in line.

To even imply that I'm an SC because of this ... geez, get a damned clue.
                "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                  To even imply that I'm an SC because of this ... geez, get a damned clue.
                  This is a *general* warning to the thread, as there's multiple points where it's started to get heated, this quote is just the latest incident.

We respect the opinions of the other members of this thread, and we don't insult them. You can disagree, but you do it respectfully. If this thread flares up again, it will be locked and told to head to Fratching, as we've ranged far beyond SCs and their reactions to bag check policies.
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I cannot relate to this thread personally, however, at the Deb shop, we had a lot of customers who, for whatever reason, always wanted us to give them a bag. That always flared a red flag. We were told under no circumstances to give customers a bag unless they were buying something. That pissed a lot of people off.

I can understand if someone didn't get a large enough bag at the last store they went to and wanted a bigger one that we might have, but on the same note, we could give one to them and then have to give one to everyone else who asked for one. And giving big bags to hordes of unsupervised pre-teen girls and teenaged customers is like giving dynamite to a psycho.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
                      Personally, I get offended when the SC throws a fit about it.
                      Ditto on this, We don't know you personally so the merchandise is safe. It's a very useful security technique so that we know it's against the law to force citizens to empty their items from the bag when the podium goes off. Yet this is the most legal way to do so. I appreciate your firmness with the policy, they shouldn't be in the store if they refuse to hand in anything they carry.
                      Providing Excellent customer service and Filtering out nonsense people.

Comment

I just figure it like this, I have nothing to hide. So, the LP people or whoever can watch me shop all day long if they like. If they really want to know what I'm doing or why, they can come up and ask me if I want help. If they want to check my bag as I'm walking out the door, they can do so. In fact, most of the time, I'll show the greeter my receipt and what I have in my bag just to save them the trouble. Like I said, I know I'm honest. They don't know me, so I don't expect them to just let it go in case I might be offended. I have nothing to hide, so if they want to know, they can ask. I'm more than happy to tell them what I'm doing and show them that I'm not stealing from them. That's just my two cents worth of opinion. I don't care enough to get up in arms over it.
                        The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

On a side note my pharmacist at Sam's Club was mocking how full of medical crap my backpack is tonight. I honestly couldn't shoplift if I wanted too, and he thinks it's funny. ><

On a side note, it seems silly that people distrust backpacks moreso than purses since it would be far easier for my mom to stick something in her purse than for me to swing my backpack around to be able to put something into it. Ironic if ya ask me.
                          The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury. - Marcus Aurelius
                          If you're slower than me, stupider than me, and you taste good...you're dinner - Anthony Bourdain

Memento mori.

Comment

Working...
                          X