This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ripped off again!"

I was called up to the service desk last night to try and find a light bulb for a customer. Technically that's not my department, but it wasn't that big a deal. I took the customer's old bulb and went off to check our meager selection.

We didn't have it, and once I saw that, I remembered that we had cleaaranced out the last of those bulbs a few months ago. So I went back up and told the customer.

SC: But I just got this here three weeks ago, and the guy said I'd have no problem with bulbs!

Me: Well, I do know that these are readily available. Home Depot has them, and I'm pretty sure Target does, too. So no, you shouldn't have any trouble.

SC: But I bought it HERE!

(Yes, but we don't carry parts for every single thing we sell or have sold).

Me: Well I'm sorry, but we don't have that bulb.

SC: So in other words, I've been ripped off by Staples again?

Me: Ma'am, you CAN get this bulb, just not here, unfortunately.

SC: So....yes, then?

Me: I'm not going to say that.

SC: Why not? Why not admit the truth?

*I turn my back and walk away*

Me (thinking): Because it's not the truth, it's just your opinion.

The bulb you need is readily available elsewhere. Had it been some ultra exotic bulb that no one carried, then you'd have a case, but it's not. And here's a news flash: there are LOTS of things we don't carry, even though we sell the associated products. Every now and then I go through a sudden slew of people looking for replacement laptop power supplies. We have *three* Targus "universal" (but not truly universal) replacements, and 99% of the time the customer either doesn't know their model number or their model number isn't listed as being compatible. Then I get the same question:

"WHy don't you carry it?! I bought the laptop HERE!"

What I want to say is:

"Well how the hell did you manage to lose the first one, dumbass?"

That's just one example. And this is hardly unique to my company. Go buy your freaking bulb at Home Depot, and while you're at it, pick up a ball peen hammer so I can belt you over the head with it.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

How is not having a light bulb for sale ripping her off? Wow, some people.
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
      SC: So in other words, I've been ripped off by Staples again?
      I'm intrigued by her use of the word "again". Personally, if I've been ripped off once by a store, I don't go back.

Of course, she's playing pretty fast and loose with the definition of rip-off.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Who goes to Staples for light bulbs?
        The icon is a bunny with a spiked collar from some carpet ad.

Comment

Quoth napoleana View Post
          Thats what I was just thinking

Comment

I hope she never buys a car, otherwise she'll be back at the showroom a few days later.
            "What do you mean I can't fill up the tank here. I bought the car here. I've been ripped of by Ford again"
            Last edited by the lawsmeister; 01-10-2008, 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling
            Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

So she's getting ripped off because she has to travel all the to *gasp* Home Depot or Target to buy a light bulb?

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I'm from the same geographic area, and I highly doubt she'll have to cross miles of stormy oceans, blistering deserts or icy wastes to get between any given local Staples and the nearest Home Depot or Target.
              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth the lawsmeister View Post
                I hope she never buys a car, otherwise she'll be back at the showroom a few days later.
                "What do you mean I can't fill up the tank here. I bought the car here. I've been ripped of by Ford again"
                Don't joke about things like that--I know a guy who thought that the dealership would replace a burnt out bulb for his headlight (he's a very special boy).

And yeah--I never even *knew* that Staples sold lightbulbs... Not my first pick of a store for that kind of product.

Comment

Quoth Listerfiend View Post
                  Don't joke about things like that--I know a guy who thought that the dealership would replace a burnt out bulb for his headlight (he's a very special boy).

The dealership I work at would. That's what our service department does, among other things.
                  I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Quoth napoleana View Post
                    Well, she bought the lamp from us, so she made the not-entirely-unreasonable assumption that we'd have the replacement bulbs. Of course, upon finding out we did not, she became an SC and copped an attitude with me.

Quoth Dips View Post
                    I'm from the same geographic area, and I highly doubt she'll have to cross miles of stormy oceans, blistering deserts or icy wastes to get between any given local Staples and the nearest Home Depot or Target.
                    You are correct. Both stores are along the same road as we are. In fact, I would dare say that there should be AT LEAST 5 places within 5 minutes of us that have the bulb, if not more (Home Depot, Target, Sears, Wal-Mart, and a local hardware store).

A HUGE rip-off. How inconvenient for this woman.
                    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post

The dealership I work at would. That's what our service department does, among other things.
                      My dealer will too...for probably 2-3 times what it would cost to get my daddy to do it do it myself...
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Listerfiend View Post
                        I had my car dealer replace a burnt out headlight on my car, fully expecting to pay for it. I was surprised when they said it was covered under the warrenty.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                        X