This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah, election season...

Don't worry--it's not a political rant. Heck, the first part of the tale of this week doesn't even have anything to do with the elections. It's just that election years bring out the crazies in even greater abundance than normal, and they all want to tell the newspaper their 'inside scoop'.

I got called into work early on Monday morning, because cold/flu season took a major toll on staffing. So I'm already awake and working five hours before I would normally have been conscious.

First call of the day was about the magazine we distribute with our Sunday paper. It's not our magazine--we just have a contract with them to print and distribute it. They pre-print months in advance, but since it's ninety-percent fluff pieces, that's not a problem.

Except, of course, when they decide to do an interview with Benazir Bhutto, and the magazine was printed a few weeks before her assassination, with the headline, "I am the one the terrorists fear" or something to that effect. So we've got this incredible interview with an amazing woman--several weeks after her death. This is not the sort of thing you want, and the readership was irate--the small-type page 2 notice of the contractual obligations that led to this situation was ignored by most people, and really seemed a bit... feeble in comparison to the severity of the situation. Personally, I would've put an insert in with the magazine, and maybe a front-page article explaining the situation; but I'm not in charge, I just answer the phones here.

Rule of thumb on the phone desk is, if your first call of the day is a complaint, you can count on half your calls that day being about the same issue. This was, indeed, the case. Some callers were calm but irritated, others barking a stream of irate (though not quite profane) language. I let them blow off some steam, give 'em a brief explanation about pre-printing, and then send them up to our Public Editor for further explanation, and so he can log their comments.

Call 2, OTOH, was... something else.

A woman's voice on the line, a bit elderly, but quite strong:

"Hello. I am the Secret President of the United States through a special agreement with George W. Bush. And I need you to understand that I do not endorse Senator Hillary Clinton for President. Because that woman has been stealing from me. She breaks into my room, and took the notes that I've been taking down every day as I read your paper. You understand, she had to destroy the evidence. And she also took $500 and my jewelry."

There was more, but I was simply too flabbergasted to get it all down.

So, today, I get in, and discover that I'm once again needed to cover the phones in the afternoon, since the morning person was sick and the afternoon person came in early, and is thus leaving early.

First call was an elderly gentleman, speaking slowly and over-enunciating his words:

"I want you to take this question down. Can a known mentally sick man from Canada campaign to become our first woman president to the United States of America before the eyes of our world?"

He insists that he has photographic proof that Hillary Clinton is actually a Canadian man, and that he has shown these photos to almost every psychiatrist in Canada.

Then he goes on to explain, in great and painful detail, how each of the other candidates are also Canadian criminals in the U.S. under assumed names. While Hillary is supposedly a mentally ill transvestite, the rest are apparently all murderers--that's how they get into the conspiracy, they kill a family, sometimes their own, you see. Oh, wait--Obama isn't Canadian--he's just going to turn us over to the Arabs.

He furthermore informed me that it was my legal obligation to inform the U.S. of this treasonous plot.

I hope this qualifies; I mean, I'd hate to be conquered by a Canadian coup, even if it did mean we'd get a decent health-care system.

What is it about newspaper desks that attract the insane to call in with their various confessions? You & MystyGlyttyr should get together for coffee sometime and swap stories.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

I saw that article in that fluff magazine- I didn't spot the notice of the contractual obligations, though, so I was confused!
      My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

Quoth Saydrah View Post
        I saw that article in that fluff magazine- I didn't spot the notice of the contractual obligations, though, so I was confused!
        Heh. Well, see, it breaks down like this:

The magazine pre-prints months in advance at multiple locations around the country. When she was assassinated, they decided to not do any sort of alteration or change, even to the cover.

This left the distributing newspapers with a choice: They could violate the distribution contract (which generally includes pre-set penalties) or distribute the magazine normally; if they chose to distribute it, they could then decide for themselves what sort of notification to use.

I heard one paper put an announcement on the front page; some didn't distribute the magazine; ours went with a standard announcement on our clarifications/corrections space on page 2; still others, I think, did nothing at all.

Comment

Quoth Freemage View Post

Then he goes on to explain, in great and painful detail, how each of the other candidates are also Canadian criminals in the U.S. under assumed names. While Hillary is supposedly a mentally ill transvestite, the rest are apparently all murderers--that's how they get into the conspiracy, they kill a family, sometimes their own, you see. Oh, wait--Obama isn't Canadian--he's just going to turn us over to the Arabs.

He furthermore informed me that it was my legal obligation to inform the U.S. of this treasonous plot.

I hope this qualifies; I mean, I'd hate to be conquered by a Canadian coup, even if it did mean we'd get a decent health-care system.

His name wasn't really Lord Palpatine was it?
          Your neck is 7 and a half feet wide and 4 and a half feet tall. Your shoulders are also around 4 and a half feet wide. Your butt is 4 feet wide and your arms are around 3 feet long-gravekeeper

Comment

I got one of those just yesterday! *Just* as crazy as yours.

After 30 seconds I sensed either a smear campaign/rigged 'poll' or some tinfoil-hat whacko kind of survey. I hung up on the lady (talking at 100 Mph, btw.) and forgot about it until just now.

And idea who's behind all this??

Comment

Quoth Freemage View Post
              Except, of course, when they decide to do an interview with Benazir Bhutto, and the magazine was printed a few weeks before her assassination, with the headline, "I am the one the terrorists fear" or something to that effect. So we've got this incredible interview with an amazing woman--several weeks after her death.
              yeah, when i saw that magazine, i ws kinda confused...not to be mean or anything, but how can terrorists be afraid of something dead? i didn't read the articule though, so i thought it was going to be about the relative that replaced her or something.

i didn't realize they printed it that far ahead of time.

Comment

Because the Canadian government is so adept at running health care.

Comment

Were all of the candidates murderers? Or, just the Democrats? I gotta know ... it'll affect my vote!
                  "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Working...
                  X