This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Posture Moll View Post
    Holy jumpin'! I'd emigrate if it were that high here in Canada.
    LOL then don't get me started on income taxes

Comment

6% over here.

Comment

Washington is 8.9% on goods, 9.4% on food, like restaurants and coffee. Bye bye money.

JF
        First Lesson I learned from working in a bookstore:
        People who can read are made of the same rudeness as those who cannot.

Comment

Thats really funny that you mention that cause I'm back in MD at store #3 and was working returns today. A guy wanted to switch something out for something else of the same price or maybe the first one didn't work (I really don't remember) So I return the one for a store credit and apply that to the purchase of the new one. I theory he should now owe me nothing but the computer said he owed me 5 cents. I ended up telling the computer he gave me the 5 cents cause he only had his credit card but it took us a few minutes to figure out that the 5 cents came from the new higher taxes.

P.S. Is this new tax the whole state or just the county you/I live in?

Comment

Here in New York we've paid 8.125% tax for years, so I don't know what this woman is complaining about with 6%. Besides, it's just one cent on the dollar, it's not like you're getting prison raped at the register.

Some people just need to shut up and stop complaining about tiny things like this, but then I remember that this website is entirely dedicated to people complaining about stupid things (though unlike our customers we don't get to vent right there and then).

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
              I remember a year and a half ago when the NJ sales tax went from 6% to 7%. Everyone was screaming bloody murder, except me.

I have no idea why...In WI before I moved out here it was 5.6%.
              Sales tax went up so they could bring property taxes down. In 2007 there was a bit of a tax rebate for homeowners, I recall. There was another vote on it last fall, whether to revert it or keep the change, and the change stuck.

I've lived all over the place...in Alabama, the tax varied from county to county, because some places would stick an extra quarter percent on that would go to county projects. When I first got to NJ and discovered there was no tax on clothes, I admit it was a pleasant surprise.
              It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
                Sales tax went up so they could bring property taxes down.
                Oh, I know that.

I was merely wondering to myself, I guess, why I didn't join the screaming, since I've been paying the highest sales tax of my short life.

(If I actually spent money at Shea Stadium, that would be a different story.)
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Wait!!!.....
                  They don't charge Sales Tax in PA???

Comment

Hey that explains why all the MD tags were in that outlet shopping mall in PA. I didn't realize. Well, don't I feel silly, now.
                    I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Quoth PhotoChick View Post
                      P.S. Is this new tax the whole state or just the county you/I live in?

I live in Anne Arundel. As far as I know, it's the whole state. A lot of people are really p.o.'d, but something had to give...and my tuition didn't go up!
                      "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

In my area it's 8.25% and has been for a very long time...BUT, Texas has no State Income Tax! (yet)
                        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                        X