Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I can figure out how to work a cell phone and my computer just fine... But the damn remote for Dish Network... That one confuses me to no end. Now, keep in mind I grew up without a cable box or anything similar so I'm pretty much used to your basic TV remote. I'm so afraid that I'll break something on the Dish Network that I have my bf use the remote most of the time. I have, however, figured out how to turn the Dish on, change the channel, and turn on the channel guide option. I'm not that old, either. I'm only 25!
    Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

Quoth DSLWill View Post
      The point i was trying to illistrate was that the older generation should just learn to trust the younger generation beacuse...

how else are they going to learn about these things that i feel are simple and i admit take for granted.
      And a point I'm going to make:

I trust you to know your equipment. I don't necessarily trust you to know or understand what I want.

When I was a child, you used a TV by turning it on with one button, turning a dial to change channels, and turning another dial to change the volume. Installing a new TV was easy - take it home, plug in the power cord, plug in the antenna cord.

Using the phone was just as easy: ten numbers, one handset. I even grew up before touchpad phones - there weren't even # or * 'numbers'.

Now, I have a hearing and an attention disorder, both of which mean I don't actually get much benefit out of the fancy things TVs and 'home theatres' can do nowadays. The only modern TV feature I actually use is closed captioning! All I want in a TV is four features: on/off, channel change, volume change, and closed captioning.

Similarly, all I want in a phone is sending and receiving phone calls - and some sort of answering machine. That's handy. Couldn't care less if it's 'voicemail' or 'answering machine' or whatever.

It's not an inability to learn these things - I'm a programmer by trade, and dual-boot linux/windows. I've contributed to open source software, too.

It's that I just don't care about the extra features, and don't want to have to waste time and effort learning another set of ways to use a basic tool: especially when I'll apparently be expected to unlearn this set and learn yet ANOTHER (groan) in only a few short years.

And many young people these days don't seem willing to understand that.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I have a lady in her late 80s teaching me how to weld. Claims she was the model for Rosie the Riveter. She once gave me a lecture about underestimating the elderly. Later, a situation presented itself where I had to tell her to never underestimate the young.

(You should see her tattoos!)

What I learned when I worked in a nursing home, you have to give the oldtimers some time to process the info sometimes. Have to let it percolate a bit, her coming back to you, repeating what you had told her was your hint that the info was finished cooking in her brain and she was ready to be served up a hot piping new fangled phone.
        ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth GolfCart34 View Post
          Ok, I can figure out how to work a cell phone and my computer just fine... But the damn remote for Dish Network... That one confuses me to no end. Now, keep in mind I grew up without a cable box or anything similar so I'm pretty much used to your basic TV remote. I'm so afraid that I'll break something on the Dish Network that I have my bf use the remote most of the time. I have, however, figured out how to turn the Dish on, change the channel, and turn on the channel guide option. I'm not that old, either. I'm only 25!
          I hate Dish's remote. It is hard to figure out. My last job, we had Dish Network. Now mind you I would rather it off most of the time and I ever hardly used it. My buddy(1/2 of the owners along with his father) and his wife would tease me about it. I am not the one that turns it on/off.

I am 26 and I want to use a simple phone, well it has to have voice mail.
          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth DSLWill View Post
            *ok people, the phones now all have a display, you dont need to use them. also, you CANT buy a phone that is less then 2.5GHZ reception.
            I don't want to nit-pick but I sell cordless phones with a frequency of 1.8GHz, then theres WDECT with is 2.4GHz. I'm sure the 2.5GHz you refer to are in fact the 2.4GHz phones.

Oh and Uniden still have their base model that doesn't have a screen.

Nit Pick over.
            SC:What makes you think you can tell me how to do this?
            ME:Because I finished Pre-school, Elementary School, High School
            and College first time. Now: Red wire is positive.

Comment

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post
              (You should see her tattoos!)
              Perhaps later.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
              X