Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had a slightly different problem at my first retail job. We were majorly understaffed. The owner was more than happy to hire new staff...except, she refused to advertise in newspapers that we were looking for help. She put a sign in the window saying "Help wanted", but that was it.

This might have worked, except most of the people the sign attracted were high school kids with a stack of resumes going store-to-store. And most of the shifts we needed covered were during school hours.

The stories about this got to be infamous, the most prominent being about an ex-employee who nearly got her head bitten off for not knowing any better and placing an ad. I once asked the owner about it. She looked me like I was from another planet, and said, "Well, you wouldn't want to hire someone from a newspaper, would you? They'd live too far away."

I lived nearly an hour away. I was late to work exactly once during my time as an employee.

Also, if you follow her logic, nobody in this town reads newspapers.

The positive side to this was that an employee quitting meant plenty of overtime for the rest of us.

Until the owner, in her infinite wisdom, decided that paying so much time-and-a-half was costing her store too much money, and decided that we would no longer be allowed to work overtime.

One location of the store closed shortly after I left. The other followed a few months later.

Comment

My department is understaffed right now because our GOOD seasonal hires all got transferred to other departments. Scheduling so that we can actually accomplish anything now is tough, to say the least.
      "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
      X