This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Tigress View Post
    If I couldn't fix it, I would try to be helpful, tell them what they needed, and where they could get the best deal. That was always a fun exchange.

"Your X is dead. You can get another one at Y for $Z. Let me know when you have it, and I'll set it up for you."
    "You mean I have to spend MONEY on this?! You can't just fix it?!"
    "There's nothing to fix. Your X is FRIED. You need a new one."
    "Well, you obviously don't know what you're talking about then, Ms. College. You're just wasting your time over there if you can't fix my computer! Hmph!"

Never a word of thanks or compensation for the time I took out of studying to fix their crap out of familial loyalty. I'm glad I live at least an hour away from all of them.
    That's why I no longer offer free tech support to family members. I got tired of getting screamed at when their outdated POS didn't work anymore, or having to explain why it's necessary to update one's virus and spyware defs. Nearly all of the "dire emergency" calls from my various idiot relatives could be easily taken care of.... if they'd read the freaking manual!
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I'm a translator and I get this every time.

If it's not a big project, like, say, half a pages and you're a really close friend, I would do it for free. If it is a big project, like more than 3 pages, it's going to cost you.
      My friends used to guilt me into doing their translations for free.
      "But I NEED this! Come on, we're friends aren't we?"
      "But I can't afford your fee!"
      "Friends don't take advantage of friends like that!" -Excuse me, YOU want ME to do WORK for YOU, but if I want to be paid, I'M taking advantage of YOU?-

They're usually quick to find out that if it will cost me more than a little time and effort, it will cost them more than a little money. Of course, I do give discount for friends, but if you look in Webster's, discounts and freebies are not the same thing.
      With one exception, though. My mother, my brother and my boyfriend. I'll translate however many they want for free.
      -It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.
      -I see the strongest and smartest men who have ever lived. And these men are pumping gas and waiting tables.-Fight Club

Comment

Working...
      X