Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "commision" is that they get to keep the job. Management morons think it's more effective to harrass people into shopping elsewhere than to accept no as an answer.

Comment

I really do hate that. I worked at a movie theatre for less than a month. The big thing at the time was real butter on you popcorn. I was great at it. I could make people double butter.

MG=Movie Goer
      Me=..Me

MG= Can I get the 1?
      Me= Coke to drink?
      MG= Can I get Orange drink?
      Me= Of course you can.
      MG=Awesome
      Me= We have real butter if you want.
      MG= That sounds nice
      Me= Yeah, it's really good if you layer it. You get your layer on the top, of course. Then we put a layer halfway through the bag to you get butter near the end too.
      MG= Yeah I'll get that.

Most people didn't seem to realize, though we had a giant sign, that it was $0.50 for each layer of butter.

However we were also supposed to get them to upsize their combos. I just couldn't do that. Either I forgot, or I felt bad after getting them to pay an extra dollar for butter.

So I got canned.
      Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
      Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Eh, but

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post

Most people didn't seem to realize, though we had a giant sign, that it was $0.50 for each layer of butter.

However we were also supposed to get them to upsize their combos. I just couldn't do that. Either I forgot, or I felt bad after getting them to pay an extra dollar for butter.

So I got canned.
        Let me guess, they made 75 cents on the extra butter you sold people on, but only 50 cents when up-sizing the popcorn. They canned you and can't figure out why they are making a few hundred dollars less each month since you left.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
          Let me guess, they made 75 cents on the extra butter you sold people on, but only 50 cents when up-sizing the popcorn. They canned you and can't figure out why they are making a few hundred dollars less each month since you left.
          Actually they made 1.00 on my butter sales, and upsizing was 0.25. So they probably lost A lot when I left.

Plus i could convince people to get combos, even if that was more costly. ^.^
          Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
          Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

We have to push combos, but it actually means saving the customer money:

Small drink + small popcorn = £6.05

Medium Combo = £6.00 Customer gets almost twice as much popcorn and more drink for less.

I assume the cinema chain gets bulk discount, so the more popcorn we sell, the cheaper it becomes, but still it seems kind of stupid.

And no-one has ever gotten in trouble for not upselling.
            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth TheSnakeLady View Post
              "I don't think I need it. I mean, Nintendo makes great stuff.
              Yeah, Nintendo is the only company I'm willing to buy in the first generation. Gunsage, I thought EB and Gamestop were the same company now?

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
              The only one that does is Publix
              My store will do it, but you gotta ask, though I'll offer for people who will obviously have trouble with their order.
              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                The "commision" is that they get to keep the job. Management morons think it's more effective to harrass people into shopping elsewhere than to accept no as an answer.
                That's exactly what it is, and it's why I can't bring myself to tell off cashiers and salespeople trying to upsell me or get me to sign up for a credit card or an extended warranty. Even if they're getting really pushy.

I just give them a simple polite but firm "No thank you."

They're just doing their job; what they were told to do. And for all I know that cashier or salesperson could've just been hauled into an office by management and told "You're not making your numbers. Either start (upselling, selling extended warranties, getting credit card signups) or you're fired."

It sucks but it's free money for corporate so they push it so hard, and the only way they may rethink it is if customers start to let them know how bothered they feel when they're shopping.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Kaylyn View Post
                  These poor peons have no incentive other than, "Hey, you get to keep your sucky minimum wage for another week if you do this!"....

I want to see the corporate suits spend a week working in the stores by their own rules with all this offering crap. If it ever actually happens, though, I'd probably just die of shock...
                  Amen.
                  We get our hours cut back as "punishment" for not selling enough--it's fabulous when you get 5 hours a week and have to sell as much in those five hours as someone else does in 20--or you get less hours, on and on the cycle goes...

ETA: my manager got shopped the one time he was actually working in the store annnnnnd......

he failed it.

not just mildly failed it---bombed it. 27 out of 100.
                  What happened?
                  All the hourly's got their hours sliced and we got written up for "not passing the shop"

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    That's exactly what it is, and it's why I can't bring myself to tell off cashiers and salespeople trying to upsell me or get me to sign up for a credit card or an extended warranty. Even if they're getting really pushy.

I just give them a simple polite but firm "No thank you."

They're just doing their job; what they were told to do. And for all I know that cashier or salesperson could've just been hauled into an office by management and told "You're not making your numbers. Either start (upselling, selling extended warranties, getting credit card signups) or you're fired."

It sucks but it's free money for corporate so they push it so hard, and the only way they may rethink it is if customers start to let them know how bothered they feel when they're shopping.
                    Yeah, when I worked for a company that did that we got a nice letter from one of the managers saying "why is nobody upselling so-and-so special, if you don't upsell more you'll all have your hours cut"... then it was pointed out that in the first two weeks we'd upsold enough to run out of stock and he hadn't reordered!

"Would you like two of these for $5? You would? Well tough! We're sold out!"

Comment

I guess I don't buy enough to get hounded for extended warranties, because normally when I decline they drop it, or tell me I can buy it later (my favorite jewelry store).

But what I hate is the store credit cards. Now I have a lot of credit cards,

2 Visa (1 for online), Discover, Lowes, Boscov's, Victoria's Secret, but nowhere near as many as my parents, or my grandmother, etc. But everytime I go into a department store I get asked if I want a credit card for that store "You can save 10% if you sign up"

Yes I can save 10% today. Then I have another card that I won't use very much, and then it adds another creditor to my credit report, which makes my score look lower. I'm 23 and my score is well over 700, I like having good credit, so please leave me alone. If I wanted a card I'd apply for it on my own, and if I have one I'd be using it if I wanted to. I'll pay for my things the way I want to.

By the by, I've been to stores that ask if we need help out, but it's rare anymore.

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
                        Actually they made 1.00 on my butter sales, and upsizing was 0.25. So they probably lost A lot when I left.
                        No, they charged 1.00 for the butter. That's not what they made on it. And to be honest, the margins on butter are amazingly low. Apparently at my first theatre, they'd make about 5 cents on a large popcorn's worth of butter (different number of shots of butter for different sizes). And that's if the concession attendant pumped properly, which almost no one did.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

This is why I am so happy in a support call center, as opposed to the one I was in previously, which was sales. I was terrible at upsell/cross-sell, which was their name for it. The only time I upsold was if, by buying an extra $5 battery, they got free shipping. Meaning, they'd be paying $15 either way, but they'd either get 2 batteries and pay for shipping, or 3 batteries for the same cost.
                          "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I tend to avoid Radio Shack unless I absolutely have to go there for that very reason (well, that, and they're WAY overpriced)--unfortunately, today was one of those days. I needed a tape recorder for school, and my store was sold out. The guy there WAS very helpful, telling me exactly where they were and price checking the one with no tag for me. But, as I was expecting, he tried to sell me the tapes to go with and batteries. He looked rather deflated when I told him sorry, but I could get my employee discount on them next door.
                            It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Working...
                            X