This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We don't do cash back!

Ok, so admittedly at my store we have a weird little system where we only have 1 button to push whether it's for credit or debit. After that, it's up to the computer to decide whether or not to do debit or credit. It has a mind of it's own. I have a debit card, and out of the 50 times I've bought things there with it, it asked for my PIN once, all the other times it made me sign for it.
    Well today I had a lady come in the store and buy some glue sticks or something like that and she says

SC: ATM
    Me: *Pushes button that says "charge"*

The order goes through and it prints out the receipt with a slip for her to sign, and I hand it to her

SC: I said ATM
    Me: It comes out of the same account it doesn't matter whether or not it's atm or credit.
    SC: Yes, but I said that I wanted ATM, and you gave me credit
    Me: Yes, but that's because I only have 1 button to push. After that the system has a mind of it's own. It's really not up to me.
    SC: Yes, but that is not the issue here. I wanted to get cash back from my purchase.
    Me: We don't do cash back here anyways so it wouldn't have mattered
    SC: That is not the issue here! You should tell me this before I swipe my card.
    Me: We aren't required at all to tell you whether or not we give cash back.
    SC: That isn't the issue here! I wanted ATM, and you gave me credit.
    Me: Ma'am it comes out of the same account
    SC: That isn't the issue here! You should have told me.
    Me: Ok, ma'am, next time you buy something here I'll let you know.
    SC: Good that's what I wanted to hear. *signs slip*

as she's walking away I hear her say under her breath "Now I have to go somewhere else to get my cash." WE DON'T DO CASH BACK ANYWAYS LADY! WERE YOU LISTENING TO ANYTHING I SAID!?!?

Quoth tonydanza View Post
    WE DON'T DO CASH BACK ANYWAYS LADY! WERE YOU LISTENING TO ANYTHING I SAID!?!?
    Remember, SCs only hear what they want to hear. If you say something they don't like, they mentally hold their hands over their ears and sing, "La la la la I can't hear you la la la la".
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Is it so hard for her to go to an ATM machine and withdrawl the money there? The damn machines at the register are called DEBIT anyway. Stupid woman.

Comment

Well by saying ATM I mean debit. Many people call debit cards "ATM" cards. It was my mistake for describing that way in the story.

Comment

Thats not the issue here, it's that she's annoying

Comment

Me: It comes out of the same account it doesn't matter whether or not it's atm or credit.
            It actually does make a difference around where I live. Using a debit/credit card as debit is just like using my ATM card at a different bank than the one I bank with. So I get charged a convenience fee. Using it as a credit card doesn't cost me anything.

Comment

some places charge you no matter what you choose; as for the cash back, it's HER job to ask, not assume, that she can get it in the first place. he can't read her pathetic excuse for a mind, so her assumption is wrong-she wants the cash, she asks, not assumes.
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

We don't do cashback either, in spite of the fact that the machine asks you if you want it. Why the owner doesn't get the damn thing reprogrammed is beyond me.

One day this guy comes in and wants cash back and of course, I have to tell him that we don't do it. His response: "But my daughter works here!"

My answer: "That's nice, but we still don't do cashback."

Yes, that's right, I refused to give him money just to piss him off.
                The customer is always right until I decide he isn't.

Comment

Quoth tonydanza View Post
                  "Now I have to go somewhere else to get my cash."
                  Imagine that! It's called a bank and they DO give cash back! WOW!
                  The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

Quoth Hempress View Post
                    It actually does make a difference around where I live. Using a debit/credit card as debit is just like using my ATM card at a different bank than the one I bank with. So I get charged a convenience fee. Using it as a credit card doesn't cost me anything.
                    Yeah it depends on the card really. I have a credit card that gives me cash back if I run it as a credit. I can run it as a debit too, but no money back for me Customers don't get it though, that we don't have control over which way the card is going to "swing" . We push one button. Thats it. A button that tells the computer that its an EFT transaction and after that, we have no control. Its up to the customer/card/bank whatever. And just because it doesn't go through the way they want, doesn't mean they should be rude to the clerk. Call your bank.
                    But still, at least here (so far) its a free transaction on the customers end. I have to pay an ATM fee if I use a bank ATM. But if I do cash back on debit at a store, it doesnt cost anything. Of course, it does cost the store, and many customers don't realize that. I imagine its only a matter of time before stores start charging for cash back on debit. And wont our beloved customers love that one!

<secretly waiting for the day.......>
                    WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

Quoth batmoody View Post
                      Yeah it depends on the card really. I have a credit card that gives me cash back if I run it as a credit.
                      eek most credit cards around here make you bend over if you want a cash advance. the interest rate is higher AND interest starts the moment of the advance rather than only on an outstanding monthly balance
                      DILLIGAF

Comment

My first retail job didn't do cash back or accept ATM cards. The grocery store I work at does cash back on debit cards, a certain credit card, and if the customer is familiar in the check system, they can get cash back when writing a check.
                        My Fanfic Page
                        My Fiction Page
                        My Social Group
                        My Pet Social Group
                        My You Tube Channel

Comment

Quoth batmoody View Post
                          But if I do cash back on debit at a store, it doesnt cost anything. Of course, it does cost the store, and many customers don't realize that.
                          I didn't realize that the cashback feature cost the retailer...how does that work and why would the retailer be charged?
                          The customer is always right until I decide he isn't.

Comment

Quoth Legal Eagle View Post
                            Thats not the issue here, it's that she's annoying
                            Damn, somebody beat me to it!

Comment

Quoth Canadian In Maine View Post
                              I didn't realize that the cashback feature cost the retailer...how does that work and why would the retailer be charged?
                              I don't know of the amount a retailer is charged, but big stores are quite happy to eat the cost to keep people coming back inside, since they generally spend far more than they would cost the place. As for being charged, the retailer is providing a service, and they're making the card companies do work to maintain those accounts. The store is also spending more on wages, training, and interest on their overdrafts by having the cash out of the system.

I may have missed something.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                              X