This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But...you can still sell rusty cans of paint

A guy comes in today trying to return 4 gallons of paint and a jug of sealer.
    It was all a special kind of granite finish paint in a colour that we never carried, but only special ordered.

The cans were all rusted on top. The jug of sealer was dusty and grimy.

The date code (which is when it's received into our store) on two of the price tickets was 2000.
    On the others, it was 2004. One of the cans had an expiry date of 2005.

The clerk asked him if he had a receipt.
    Of course not.

She said, "Well, sir, without a receipt, I can't take these back. Two of these are 6 years old, and the others are at least 2 years old. We've never carried this colour in stock and it would have had to be special ordered for you."

The guy said, "That's impossible. We've only been in our house for a year."

She then pointed out the date codes and the fact that the cans were rusty probably meant they weren't stored properly. She then explained that we have a 30-day return policy with a receipt.

The guy told her, "Shove them up your ass. I'm never shopping here again."
    Then he walked out, leaving her speechless and upset with a bunch of old cans of paint.

I told her that he was obviously trying to pull a fast one, and he knew it, or he wouldn't have walked away and left all of that stuff.

We think they were cleaning out their garage and wanted to get some cash back.

An hour or so later, the customer calls the contractor's desk and talks to a different guy. Apparently, he's bought a lot of stuff from us and he deals with them all the time. (He's also related to a couple of the employees.) He complained about the paint clerk.

He had called up the day before, and apparently, one of them had told him he could return all of the paint.

In the meantime, the clerk had already spoken to a manager and told her side of things. The clerk from the contractor's desk called a manager and was backing the customer.

As far as I know, management is backing the paint clerk on it.

I will find out for sure tomorrow.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Just as well she'd already told a manager. I wonder if the clerk from the contractor's desk has seen the cans? They're still there, judging by the story. Seems one show of them and a reminder of the store return policy, and the paint clerk is off the hook.

Comment

The paint clerk went back to talk to the other guy.
      She said our return policy was 30 days with a receipt, and even if the guy had purchased the paint a year ago,as he claimed, we don't do returns after a year.
      He just said, "Either way...," which we took to mean he didn't care about the policy and would do what he wanted with his customers.

We are actually having some real issues with this merger. I don't like having an "us" and "them" attitude, but their staff had a much more lax view of returns, etc., and we were pretty liberal as it was, so my returns desk gets filled with a lot of crap.

Luckily, we just happened to be having a store visit from some of the big shots from HO.
      One of them was a honcho from our paint plant, and he looked at the cans and said the product was probably no good, so I think that helped.

To keep a major customer, though, the managers may just cave and scrap the product. Unlikely, because that's stupid, but who knows?
      Last edited by Ree; 08-30-2006, 02:30 AM.
      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I have found that you can very often tell if a customer is trying to pull a scam by his attitude. Scammers act like jackasses. In fact, they frequently come out of the gate with a nasty demeanor.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

100% agree with this. I see it all the time. Too much for my liking.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
            OT: i love your avatar
            DILLIGAF

Comment

"I'm never shopping here again!"
              "Did you ever shop here to begin with?"
              "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
              -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

Working...
              X