Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The health teacher at my high school skipped the whole "reproductive system" chapter in our text book. At the end of the semester she told us she did it because she knew for certain that was the one chapter everyone in the class would read without having it assigned.

She was right of course.
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
      The health teacher at my high school skipped the whole "reproductive system" chapter in our text book. At the end of the semester she told us she did it because she knew for certain that was the one chapter everyone in the class would read without having it assigned.

She was right of course.
      I wish my health teacher was like that, he condescended to us about it.
      The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

That section of my 7th grade health class was a joke. It seemed to be all scare tactics "sex is bad, mmkay?" and not much else. Well, we did get a demo of the teacher putting a condom on a banana...and she got it wrong

I learned more from the anatomy class my mom was taking at the time.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
          I never provided my son with magazines like that, but I did have "the talk" with him two years ago, when he was 10....

I think I had a beer while I was talking with him. Times like that, I wished I kept stronger stuff in the house.
          Funny, as my father gave me that talk when I was 10. Of course, that was in 1980, when the internet didn't eductate kids about such things. In any case, I can't recall any time before or after that talk seeing my father so completely uncomfortable. Dad didn't drink much, but I am guessing that was one time he thought about maybe having one outside of a social situation. Despite that, he was frank, he was explicit, and he was educational. And I was just as uncomfortable as he was, thank you very much. Reason #459 that I am glad I am an uncle and not a father.

That being said, my mother gave said speech to both of my sisters at about the same age. (Dad got off light, me being Only Son.) To date: Me--Uncle only. Older sis (the SC): Married, no kids. (Best favor she ever did her kids was not have them.) Younger sis: married, inherited 3 stepkids in the process, but none of her own. Do the math. [If you are wondering how I am an uncle when neither sibling reproduced, I am the uncle to several of my friends' kids.]

Quoth South Texan View Post
          In my first high school (I went to 3), our health/sex ed teacher was female, but kind of creepy, because whenever she would be lecturing about sex, she would be in front of her desk, kind of sitting on it, but kind of grinding on it too. And yes, everyone noticed this.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Was she cute?

Rapscallion

Comment

If she was cute, do you think us boys would have been grossed out by it?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                It seemed to be all scare tactics "sex is bad, mmkay?" and not much else.
                That's one thing I give my parents for. They never told me "don't do it", or even "don't do it until you're married." They took a more realistic approach. They told me that some day I'd meet a girl that I really liked, and that we'd want to. And when that happened, they told me to make sure I was protected.

Of course, when that day did come, I didn't do that. It was kind of spur-of-the-moment, and all I could think about at that time was going for it. I consider myself quite lucky that nothing bad (pregnancy or worse) came out of it, since things went sour about a week later, and she and I ended up hating each other. Haven't seen her in almost 20 years now, and sometimes I still wonder if she thinks about me at all, or even remembers me. I guess you never forget your first.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

This is more related to buying magazines than Hustler or Playboy. I had a family come in, man, woman, 12-14 yr old daughter. They each had some things they'd picked out to buy. The wife and daughter handed me their things, and I rang them up. Then the husband hands me this stack of magazines, upside down so you can't see what they are, with kind of a mutter about not letting them see, and asks for his own bag. His stack was a copy of every gay magazine we have. What I found shocking about this is that he obviously doesn't want wife and daughter to see what he's buying, so why does he buy them while they're there?
                  Any fool can criticize, comdemn, and complain—and most do. ~ Dale Carnegie

Sarah: That's not fair!
                  Jareth: You say that so often. I wonder what your basis for comparison is...

Comment

Quoth Amalthea View Post
                    What I found shocking about this is that he obviously doesn't want wife and daughter to see what he's buying, so why does he buy them while they're there?
                    Because, unconsciously, he wants to be found out. He wife is either completely clueless, or she suspects something.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Back when I was still living in the States, my bestfriend's mom gave him some pot and a bottle of whiskey for his birthday present. We were 15.

Of course, back then, being teenagers and all, I kind of envied him
                      -It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.
                      -I see the strongest and smartest men who have ever lived. And these men are pumping gas and waiting tables.-Fight Club

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                        I never provided my son with magazines like that, but I did have "the talk" with him two years ago, when he was 10. I had been dreading it for quite some time, but I knew it had to be done. I wasn't sure how to start it off, so I started by asking him what he already knew. He already knew about "sex", and that it was how women got pregnant, but he didn't know the mechanics. He looked somewhat shocked when I told him.

I think I had a beer while I was talking with him. Times like that, I wished I kept stronger stuff in the house.
                        Bill Engvall has a joke like that.

"Tell me what you know, and ill fill in the rest."
                        20 minutes later im sitting there with a pad and pencil.
                        http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
                        Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Quoth symposes View Post
                          Bill Engvall has a joke like that.

"Tell me what you know, and ill fill in the rest."
                          20 minutes later im sitting there with a pad and pencil.
                          Speaking of jokes, I just remembered sort of a follow-up to the night I had "the talk" with my son.

He told me that later that night, he was thinking back to what we talked about, and then he just started laughing hysterically, because some of the jokes he heard on TV shows suddenly made sense. Specifically, it was the one episode of Family Guy, where Peter and Lois are thinking about having another baby, during the scene where Brian and Peter are trying to put a crib together.

Brian (Reading instructions): "OK, 'Insert Rod Support A into Slot B'."

Peter: "That's what..."

Brian: "If you say 'That's what she said' one more time, I'm going to pop you!"
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                          X