This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The customer is always... WRONG!

Ever had a customer use that fabled phrase, "The customer is always right" in an attempt to get their own way? What were they asking and did they get it in the end?

I've heard that several times, however the time that sticks in my mind is when a guy asked for his parking money back... and he'd only spent 32p. In my supermarket, you have to spend £10 to get 1 hour's parking (60p) refunded. Maybe in Never Never land you spend 32p and get 60p back, but not here. Anyway, he threw a huge temper tantrum like a 2 year old, shouting "The customer is always right!" and demanding I give him his parking refund.

I refused to give way, however a queue was building up and I wanted this loony out of my hair, so I sent him to customer services. They refused him too; he stomped out of the doors swearing he'd never ever come back.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

DID he ever come back?

They usually do, you know...
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

If he did, I didn't know about it.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

I notice the only people who say "The customer is always right" tend to be impotent, tiny little people who act like jerks.

I wonder if it isn't the only time they can feel like they wield any sort of power or importance. Pathetic.

Comment

Well, I did nickname the guy "Peanut Dick" in my head. Could well be...
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

I never had a customer that had the audacity to say that god-awful phrase, but my grandmother did once. I was complaining about the customers at my job, and she said, "Well, you know the customer is always right."

I couldn't believe that someone I loved said something I hated so much. I was too blindsided to come up with a valid argument, and just said, "No, they're not."

Looking back now, I should have cited some examples, and asked her if those customers were right. Like the guy who came in and made racist comments to one of the black guys who worked there. Or the guy who got on my case about the prices going up. Or the old bat who snapped at me because her favorite brand of soap was discontinued. Or even the guy who wanted a discount on something simply because he "didn't feel like paying that much."

Maybe she came from a simpler time, when customers were respectful and made reasonable requests, but times change. And in the almost 20 years since then, I've only seen people get worse.
            Last edited by MadMike; 08-31-2006, 08:28 PM. Reason: Because I can't spell
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I tag-teamed someone in the local bakery one lunchtime.

She jokingly said the dreaded phrase. One of the women behind the counter made sure - in good nature - that it was not the case. The customer slowly turned around as she heard me laughing for all I was worth.

Rapscallion

Comment

He spent 32p and wanted 60p back. Which means that, in his assessment, you are supposed to pay him 28p.

Since you are paying him, that make YOU the customer.

And, of course, the customer is always rrr[sorry, my fingers can't just type those horrible words.]
                The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

I hate that phrase and whoever thinks that has obviously never worked retail or anything else. I've had it said to me once and did I care? No. Really, the customer will never be right at all. I also agree with Kinkoid, it's very true.
                  The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

The phrase was actually on one of my job applications.

"The customer is always.....what do you think of this phrase?" or something similar.

I still remember responding something along the lines that The customer always THINKS they are right, but they do not always have complete or correct information to base that opinion on. It is part of my job to help them understand the actual situation and help them as much as I can within the corporate or common sense limitations.

I got the job, and worked there for 4 years - running into many a SC during that time.

Comment

WAY too much. Usually when someone wants to return a game about a year after it's been discontinued (which means at least half again as long since they bought it) So I tell the CSR to scan it in and regardless of what comes up, I tell them the UPC isn't in our system and that it gets purged every 6 months. (bald faced lie, we have stuff in there from when I was in junior high, but the price is adjusted to absurd levels prevent this. The system blocks a transaction regarding the item anyway.) when they realize that the situation is out of our hands, they give up.

It's even better if they have a receipt. We changed the printers from a tri-color paper dot matrix to thermals about 2.5 years ago. When a customer comes up wanting a return and show us that receipt, (after laughing) the conversation is usually similar to this:

SC: I want a refund!
                      Me: <looking at the receipt>No. That item was purchaced over 2 and a half years ago.
                      SC: I only bought it last week!
                      Me: We haven't used that type of paper in at least 2.5 years. No chance you bought it last week.
                      SC: I want a refund! (insert dreaded phrase) I'll sue!
                      Me: Be my guest. the courts see that receipt as a legally binding contract. Your word and that phrase mean nothing.
                      SC: <Tears up receipt> Now what are you going to do when I sue smart guy?
                      Me: Contact head office and have them find the corporate copy of the receipt that we sent to them and have them turn it over to the legal department when requested.
                      SC: And how will they know?
                      Me: Because I saw the invoice number and memorized it before I told you no.
                      SC: Well I'll just use another receipt!
                      Me: and you'll face fraud charges in court as the item was discontinued 2 years ago and a new, more recent receipt cannot be printed. Any other receipt won't have the right item on it. And fraud is a federal crime. That means immediate jail. Have fun!
                      SC <leaves in a huff>
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                      X