This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
    Dang, the day gas gets up to $5 a gallon here is the day I sell my car.

I REFUSE to put more than $30 in my tank per trip to the gas station. at $5 a gallon, that would get me less than half a tank. Screw that.
    Heh. I filled up the other day, and because my tank was below the empty line, it needed pretty much a full tank. It cost me just under $50. I have a small truck, not a full-sized one.

I tend to fill up 1.5 times a week lately.

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Our gas is hovering right around the $3/gallon mark right now. Right now it's a little more the 2 weeks between refills. It's a 15 mile round trip to the CNM Westside Campus; 10 mile round trip to work, but the morning part is with morning rush hour traffic; then usual misc. other driving around on the weekends.

Things are close enough to me that, if the weather's not bad or I'm not getting anything heavy, I'll walk. The farthest from is Wal-Mart (about 1 mile). Everything else, Cost-Plus, Sunflower Market, Coldstone, B&N, Borders, etc., are almost literally across the street.
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

The cheapest place for gas near me is Wawa and they were 2.91 when I passed by tonight. Usually I fill my tank for around $30; my tank is (I think) 14 gallons but I try to fill it before it gets real low so it's usually around 11.

SC: $1.50 a load now? I get it done for $1.00 a load when I go to my mom’s to visit.
        ME: Really? My mom doesn’t charge me anything.
        Hehe, my mom doesn't charge me anything AND she feeds me!

I forget what the price was in my dorm, but my sophomore or junior year they installed card readers so you could charge it to your student ID. Which meant my parents paid for it . Before that I kept a film can filled with quarters with my laundry supplies. My senior year I lived in senior housing and each apartment had it's own washer/dryer so we didn't have to pay for it anymore.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Well I don't know what you all gripe about. it's 27 cents a gallon here
          I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
            The lowest I remember gas was about a year after I started to drive...for some reason, the price dropped to 84 cents per gallon. I had a Dodge Neon at the time, a standard too, and I got pretty good mileage out of it since 95% of my driving was highway. (I MISS my Neon!) I could fill the entire tank for under $10. There were days where I'd ask my parents for the car for the afternoon and just drive...
            That happened one time not too long after I started driving. All of the stations in town started dropping like a rock. For my mom's car (Cavalier), my car (an older Cavalier) and dad's pickup (an S-10) I spent no more than 35 dollars, if that.

Now, just for my truck it is around 30 dollars for about a half tank. My wife's Impala is about the same (which sucks as she has a bigger engine, but better mileage).
            Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

Wait, you said (US?)$1,35/litre. We pay about €1,40-1,45/litre here... So talk about prices. I've got a 75l tank in my Saab so it's like €100 per tank... Think about it. US$ 130-150 (what's the course today?) per tank of fuel. Scary, isn't it? And the mileage (or we here measure it in liters/100 km and it's like 9,5 l/100km) is something between 22 and 26 miles per gallon (correct me if I'm wrong, please).

Ok Ok, I admit. The prices skyrocketed New Year when it became obligatory to add 2% ethanol in the fuel, but they were like €1,30-1,35 per litre before it too. Every time I refill I die a bit inside...
              A man can be stupid and not know it, but not if he is married.

Comment

Quoth pacman View Post
                Wait, you said (US?)$1,35/litre. We pay about €1,40-1,45/litre here... So talk about prices. I've got a 75l tank in my Saab so it's like €100 per tank... Think about it. US$ 130-150 (what's the course today?) per tank of fuel. Scary, isn't it?
                Ooh! Time to break out my Google-fu! This is more for curiosity's sake than anything.

1.35 aud per liter in usd per gallon
                1.35 (Australian dollars per liter) = 4.76842644 U.S. dollars per US gallon
                1.45 eur per liter in usd per gallon
                1.45 (Euros per liter) = 8.41056039 U.S. dollars per US gallon
                (1.45 * 75) eur in usd
                (1.45 * 75) * Euro = 166.637625 U.S. dollars
                "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

For all that people whine about gas prices, we have it pretty good in the US. I used to have a friend in the UK that paid more to fill his bike's tank than I did my car.

Heh, I could tell that tweaker dude was looking for a hookup. I'm surprised he left a note. He must be pretty desperate.

My local coin laundry has magstrip cards for all of the machines, and a couple of kiosks for refilling them. To buy a card, you have to spend $5 on it. A great way to stop people from just stealing all the cards. They have machines from a $1.25 single-load, to a $5.00 8x loader. All but the single are front loaders. The dryers are $0.25 per 15 minutes.

Quoth Primer View Post
                  Yes, I know. But I want something BIG and relatively safe in case of an accident. I'd rather pay with cash than with my life.
                  Do some research. Don't only research what will happen if you have an accident, but how often different vehicles get into accidents. Many SUVs roll more often, either from having too high a center of gravity, or from hitting barriers and other cars that cause rolling. Also, you should never discount the possibility of your increased sense of safety leading to a reduction in safe driving practices. (that's what happened when everybody got anti-lock brake systems)

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin
                    The dryers are $0.25 per 15 minutes.
                    Where is this mystical land where you get so much time for your quarter? Around here, we're lucky to get 7 minutes per quarter. The laundromat that I was just to when I had to wash a blanket does only 5 minutes per quarter.

Comment

Quoth chops View Post
                      Where is this mystical land where you get so much time for your quarter? Around here, we're lucky to get 7 minutes per quarter. The laundromat that I was just to when I had to wash a blanket does only 5 minutes per quarter.
                      Even the cheap machines we have in the laundry rooms here at the apartment complex are about $1/hour. And the single load washers are $1.25. They're not all that great, however.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                        Even the cheap machines we have in the laundry rooms here at the apartment complex are about $1/hour. And the single load washers are $1.25. They're not all that great, however.

^-.-^
                        I see...it's more a matter of you get what you pay for. Maybe they know the machines suck and are trying anything to get people to use them.

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
                          SC: $1.50 a load now? I get it done for $1.00 a load when I go to my mom’s to visit.
                          ME: Really? My mom doesn’t charge me anything.
                          Next time I go to WI, I'll be able to do my laundry for free again.

For the most part, doing to the laundry at the future in-laws' house is free, but every couple of months we have to contribute a few bucks.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth chops View Post
                            I see...it's more a matter of you get what you pay for. Maybe they know the machines suck and are trying anything to get people to use them.
                            Welll, anyone who does their laundry at the complex is pretty much a captive audience. Because anyone who has transportation (and isn't being lazy) would just haul their stuff to the coin laundry which is literally around the corner. At a casual stroll, it takes less than 5 minutes to get there from our apartment, and our building is one of the ones furthest from the street, although we are on the near side.

As far as I can tell, $1/hour is the going rate on drying clothes in this area. Another laundry we used when we had a faulty dryer (before we had to move) would charge a dime for every 7 minutes, which works out to $1/70 minutes, but their washers (only heavy duty single loads) cost $1.50.

^-.-^

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              Do some research. Don't only research what will happen if you have an accident, but how often different vehicles get into accidents. Many SUVs roll more often, either from having too high a center of gravity, or from hitting barriers and other cars that cause rolling. Also, you should never discount the possibility of your increased sense of safety leading to a reduction in safe driving practices.
                              Let's see...I'm a short shit, and I hate lift kits. If a standard running board won't work, then it's too tall--and a standard running board IS almost too tall! I'm also pushing 48yo, and am a paranoid driver. I do NOT trust anybody else out there. I don't speed, I don't tailgate, I use my signals...always have always will (well, I used to speed, but I grew up).

The two wrecks I have ever been in: 1978 rear-ended by a dump truck while yielding for an ambulance; 2006 rear-ended by an 18-wheeler while sitting at a stop light.

Um yeah, knowing ME, I want something BIG (and stable!) cuz big things seem to be attracted to me!
                              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                                The two wrecks I have ever been in: 1978 rear-ended by a dump truck while yielding for an ambulance; 2006 rear-ended by an 18-wheeler while sitting at a stop light.

Um, how about a station wagon? After being rear-ended twice by oversize vehicles, I'd be looking for something where the rear bumper is as far from the driver as possible.
                                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                                X