This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sucky, but risky?

As some of you saw in my other thread, I got called in to work on my day off today.

Frozen looked like total crap - usually it gets fronted at open, and again around noon. Nobody had worked it all day - and admittedly, our upper shelves are pretty high everywhere in the store.

I was only 2 doors away from one customer... looked up and she had climbed INSIDE the freezer to reach something on the top shelf. I was so shocked that I couldn't even say anything for several seconds. I finally jumped up and offered to help her, and got the items down for her. Then tried to restart my heart.

Granted, I'm not much taller than her and had to climb in it myself, but if she falls while doing it, it's the store's ass on the line. If I fall and hurt myself, the store just pays the medical bills (they're self insured for workman's comp claims).

Usually I'm really good about the 10 foot rule that the store has - if someone is within 10 feet of me, I'm supposed to greet them and ask if they're finding everything they need. I happened to have my head buried deep in the freezer when she walked up and didn't have a chance to say anything before she hopped up.

The 10-foot rule=BS. We supposedly have that rule at my store, but nobody follows it.

Personally, I like to shop in peace, without somebody asking me every 10 seconds if I'm finding everything I need and I suspect most other people feel the same way, because whenever I did follow it, people usually either ignored me, told me no, or got confused, as if they thought somebody they knew was trying to strike up a conversation with them.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I've been known to step up on the bottom of the shelf to reach something, but I've never tried to climb into a freezer...

Sometimes I wish the grocery store would have step stools scattered around like we did in the bookstore (of course, people would just steal them to use for chairs, but still...)
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

10 foot rule ... best way to get me to swear at you on a really bad day.
        "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I only followed the 10ft rule a couple times, or when a manager was around. I figure if they need help, they can ask us. I usually say no when they ask if I need help. Unless I really do need help
          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

personally... yeah i know you'll get sued if she falls and hurts herself but...
            the common-sense side of me says... "it's her own damned fault if she hurts herself."

i mean she *COULD* have gotten someone to help her but chose not to... so ... her fault.

Comment

It amazes me sometimes what people try to take from our hotel lobby (for what reasons, I have no idea) or why they decided to try something that just wasn't smart (like climb ontop of the pool roof & expect not to get into trouble). I have seen parents "watching their children" start climbing on the cupboards, shelves, etc & not care. What is with that huh?
              When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

10ft rule?

I think a surprising amount of people follow that rule around here. They're always asking me if I can find anything to the point where I feel like they're looking for me(With this rule, I guess they are). I always thought it was because I was short.

Comment

Working...
                X