This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brothers first retail job (Long)

So, through a family friend, my younger brother by 5 years got his first job as a cashier/cook/manager of sorts at a major theme park in California.

No, not Disneyland.

He gets picked up for the car pool at around 5-8 depending on the day, and gets home between 5-8 later in the night.

He's been at it for a week, and he already has had some "Issues".

Thankfully though, he has great coworkers, a great manager (Family friend) and a great environment. Though there are problems with the park, he has no worries there cause the family friend's uncle is running intercept, and this guy is a frikking bulldozer, obstacles in his path don't last long.

And apparently it's park policy that the customer is by no means "Always right"

His one thing though, is that he is by no means patient. He has been a SC a couple times because of it. If reminded of what is going on, he will back down, and apologize, but if not, he gets lost in his own concerns, and he just loses it. He's learning to not do it, but I know that being in food service at a theme park is going to be trying, especially when summer hits.

In the mean time, he gets valuable patience training.

B: Brother (And in one case a coworker, but I can't remember which one it was XD )
    C: Customer
    E: Another park employee, any of them

B: Hello, how can I help you?
    C: Yes, I'd like a sandwich
    B: ...
    B: Which kind?
    C: Kinds?
    B: We have over 20 different kinds.
    C: (Steps back to take a look at the sign with all the different types of meaty sandwiches)
    B: (Gee, thanks for looking while you were in line for 10-15 minutes...)

They deal in meat products almost exclusively, only things non meat are things made in meat stuff, and made to go with the meat. They're semi-famous for it, and had a place there years earlier and they're using the same recipes now.

B: Hi, what would you like to order?
    C: Yes, do you have anything vegetarian?
    B: No. If you look at this guide map (Hands her one) it'll have vegetarian listings.
    C: Oh, but you don't?
    B: No

B: Hello, how can I help you?
    C: Do you have the time?
    B: Uh... yeah, it's XX:XX
    C: Thanks (Walks off)
    B: (Wtf? he waited in line to ask THAT?)

B: (On break)
    C: Do you work here?
    B: (Has on a shirt with large lettering with name of park, and an ID badge with Park ID) Yes
    C: Oh, okay, I was just looking for the bathrooms.
    B: (Points behind him at the easily identifiable bathrooms, labeled with the universal mens and womens stick figures)

B: (Walks into an employees only area where his stuff is at)
    E: Sir! You can't go in there!
    B: (Turns to face him) Why not?
    E: Only park employee's can go in there.
    B: (Still wearing park uniform and ID) Oh, I'm sorry, is there a door i can use if I don't work here, but still happen to be wearing a park uniform and have a valid park ID?
    E: No need to be rude, if you don't have it easy to see, I may have to report you. (Walks off)
    B: Cause you know, it's impossible to see it when I'm not blocking it...

Most of these were my brothers some his coworkers whom I also know. If I ever let him know about this site, I may need to delete parts of this, for obvious and not-obvious reasons. :P

On, and off-topic, where might I find a copy of the rules? Not the ones that I read to join, but the ones that cause people to post that they "Broke rule number one"?
    Last edited by Tee; 03-21-2008, 06:16 AM.
    I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
    In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

the last one kills me

Comment

Aww he popped his retail cherry. The same happened to my little sister. She used to be a real until she was forced to start working. Now that she deals with SC's she's so ashamed of how she used to act.

Comment

Quoth Tee View Post
        On, and off-topic, where might I find a copy of the rules? Not the ones that I read to join, but the ones that cause people to post that they "Broke rule number one"?
        You'll have to take that up with Raps. According to Ree, he ate them.
        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
          Yeah, he ate all of them but one . . .and I have to keep that one under lock and key.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
            Yeah, he ate all of them but one . . .and I have to keep that one under lock and key.
            That wouldn't be Rule 34, perchance, would it?
            I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

Quoth jb17kx View Post
              That wouldn't be Rule 34, perchance, would it?
              Nope...
              Long LIVE Rule L-X-I-X!
              F*ck rule L-X-I-X!
              </for clarification>
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

*Burp*

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Tee View Post
                  B: (Points behind him at the easily identifiable bathrooms, labeled with the universal mens and womens stick figures)

Was this a subtle clue as to which park he works in?
                  "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

Quoth JuniorMintz View Post
                    Was this a subtle clue as to which park he works in?
                    If I answered that, I'd either pin-point the park, or shave it down to 2-3 major theme parks in CA. :P

JK, no, it's not Universal Studios.

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                    *Burp*

Rapscallion
                    Darn, gonna have to use google to sift through the archives XD

And hope it wasn't erased from one of the hacks I've heard of.

Unless... someone takes pity on me? /cute
                    In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

I believe the same question came up in the Off Topic forums awhile ago if you feel like dumpster diving for it, it had some interesting tidbits from the more tenured members IIRC. You may also want to check out the stickies over there, common sense really, but still good advice.
                      "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

Quoth Tee View Post
                        Darn, gonna have to use google to sift through the archives XD

And hope it wasn't erased from one of the hacks I've heard of.

Unless... someone takes pity on me? /cute
                        I think there's only two rules that have survived from Mr. Slugger's day.

1.) Don't eat and drink while reading the forums.

2.) Don't blame the poster if you break #1.
                        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

[QUOTE][B: Hello, how can I help you?
                          C: Yes, I'd like a sandwich
                          B: Which kind?
                          C: Kinds?
                          B: We have over 20 different kinds.
                          C: (Steps back to take a look at the sign with all the different types of meaty sandwiches)
                          B: (Gee, thanks for looking while you were in line for 10-15 minutes...)
                          /QUOTE]

Ah yes, the wonderful world of amusement park food service. Actually I loved it, because I do love food service, but I had my own variation of the above in regards to beverages. We had about seven or eight different fountain drinks. So at least once a day I got:

SC: And I'll have a drink.
                          Me: Okay.
                          SC: ......
                          Me: ......
                          SC: I said I'll have a drink.
                          Me: Okay...what did you want to drink?
                          SC: What do you have?
                          Me: *Gestures at the soda fountain*

And yes, there were also plenty of folk who came up to the stand and ordered something we didn't have, then acting surprised that we didn't have it, seeming to go on the assumption that every food stand in the park carried every type of amusement park food there is.

I don't understand how people find their way back home sometimes.

Comment

Quoth dispatch View Post
                            I believe the same question came up in the Off Topic forums awhile ago if you feel like dumpster diving for it, it had some interesting tidbits from the more tenured members IIRC. You may also want to check out the stickies over there, common sense really, but still good advice.
                            I already did check the stickies, I didn't think it prudent to bring this up (Considering the forums topics) without checking first. That said, I may have missed it (Probably did, I sucked at those Waldo books), and am checking again, thanks for a pointer too the section though. ^_^

It'll make the Google searches quicker.

I think there's only two rules that have survived from Mr. Slugger's day.

1.) Don't eat and drink while reading the forums.

2.) Don't blame the poster if you break #1.
                            If there's more, I'll find em. >:3

Thanks though. ^_^

Comment

Working...
                            X