Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't appreciate your jovial attitude. (longish)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't appreciate your jovial attitude. (longish)

Yeah. You heard me, apparently me being happy actually offended this lady.

I'm a cashier, therefore, as the front-lines of retail I am required to have some extra points in the 'human interaction' section of my resume. I'm the kind of person who thinks that working in a happy environment is better for all, and I'm rather outgoing. When asked how I'm doing my favourite responses are "Fantabulous", "Amazing" or "Superb". That mixed with my dry sense of humor and even tone, causes most people to crack a smile when they talk to me. Hey, what can I say?

Anyway, as much as I talk or joke around with customers, I've never offended anyone, and I always know what to do or say to spark conversation and smiles from even the quietest of customers.

That being said, I hadn't done more than smile and ask how this customer's day was before she stopped me and told me that she didn't "appreciate my jovial attitude". Um, what? You don't appreciate my hearty, joyous humour and spirit of good fellowship? I'm sorry, your right. Since today was absolutely miserable for me, I should regale you with stories of exactly why I'm so stressed, and how terrible my day has been. Or better yet, I should just great you with a cold dead stare, so I may convey the way this store has ripped away my soul without having to worry about petty inconvienant things like 'words'.

Ugh. For what it was worth the couple after her told me they found me to be both enthusiastic and efficient, and they loved it.

A Mini Story

That reminds me of a woman I had the other day-

Me-
    SL- Strange lady

ME- Hi! How're you doing today?
    SL- *long depressing sigh* I'm alive....
    ME- Er...well that's always good....
    SL- *long depressing sigh* I guess.....
    ME- *gives up and goes about checking her out*
    SL- *finishes unloading her cart and moves up to register. Then begins to give sigh loudly. The kind of sigh that says " I want you tell you why I'm upset, but I want you to ask me*
    ME- *ignores as this lady is scaring me, and more importantly I don't even know her!?*
    SL- *decides sighing won't work, goes with the 'demonic, possessed gurgle/growl instead* Arggghhghghhgabalack.
    ME- *staring at her unsure what to say, as her eruption caused me to stop in the middle of ringing up her marshmallow peeps* Um.....So...Peeps are good?
    "I just figured you would be terrified, and I would be sarcastic about it."

I had a call from a customer who said the last technician had laughed at him and he was greatly offended by this, it should be illegal, and he was going to go to the FCC to get this tech fired because "us people" shouldn't be allowed to laugh at him.

The tech had laughed at him because the area was in an outage and the cust told the tech he would have him fired if he couldn't get him online right away.

Some people are just full of misery.

Comment

Yes, but why must they take it out on the rest of us? I like jovial cashiers ... or at least one that's pretending that Satan doesn't have their soul in a bottle somewhere.

Had I been in line behind that lady, I would have said "Lady, shut the fuck up. The guy's trying to be nice and you complain about THAT? What the hell is wrong with you, bitch?"
      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
        Had I been in line behind that lady, I would have said "Lady, shut the fuck up. The guy's trying to be nice and you complain about THAT? What the hell is wrong with you, bitch?"

-coughcough- girl -coughcough-

But yes, I think what really got me is that while she must have seen me joking around with the lady infront of her, all I did was greet her. T_T Haha.

Comment

Quoth Enigma View Post
          Um.....So...Peeps are good?
          Sorry, but I had to:

Peep Show

Eric the Grey
          In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Enigma View Post
            Yeah. You heard me, apparently me being happy actually offended this lady.
            That is because we're all supposed to play the Tin Man to their Wicked Witches of the West routine, with no heart and knees a'quakin' in fear of their righteous indignation. Thankfully, we can click our heels, or our mouse buttons and be home on CS.com in a flash.

Not saying a word about houses landing on people...
            "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

Quoth Snowbird View Post

Not saying a word about houses landing on people...
              If I could do that there are days that you would not be able to get out of where I work due to all the houses now in the parking lot

Comment

Quoth Snowbird View Post
                That is because we're all supposed to play the Tin Man to their Wicked Witches of the West routine, with no heart and knees a'quakin' in fear of their righteous indignation.
                OMG, the visual of that is hilarious! I'll remember that the next time a customer threatens me thru e-mail. Perhaps I should send a picture of the TIN MAN along w/ the e-mail as well! Wouldn't that surprise them!
                The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

-coughcough- girl -coughcough-
                  Um, like I would care?

Those who need a proper chewing out need it regardless of age. What's the snot going to do ... cry and make my day?
                  "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Um, like I would care?

Those who need a proper chewing out need it regardless of age. What's the snot going to do ... cry and make my day?
                    Maybe I'm completely wrong about this, but I think Enigma's saying that she's a girl, not a guy.

Comment

Um, like I would care?

Lol, thank you Sedorna, yes I was saying I was a girl. Not a big deal. ^^

And it would be amazing if we could just drop houses on the wicked sucky customers, or better yet....a very large register....or keyboard for our call center friends. ^^

Comment

Quoth Enigma View Post
                        Lol, thank you Sedorna, yes I was saying I was a girl. Not a big deal. ^^

And it would be amazing if we could just drop houses on the wicked sucky customers, or better yet....a very large register....or keyboard for our call center friends. ^^
                        Can I use my monitor instead? It's heavier.
                        Some people are like slinkies,
                        They don't really serve a purpose,
                        But they still bring a smile to your face
                        When you push them down the stairs.

Comment

*mind still trying to comprehend that woman's idiocy*

i appreciate a friendly face, regardless; retail is misery, and it takes a strong soul to deal with it and all that is dished out.

keep smiling, and the hell with those misery nuts.
                          look! it's ghengis khan!
                          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
                            Sorry, but I had to:

Peep Show

Eric the Grey

Hehe!! That was on Cute Overload the other day. Here's more fun ones: http://photo.twincities.com/index.ph...peeps-diorama/

BTW, Eric, your link is freezing my Internet Explorer when I try to open it. Don't know if it's just me and my crappy computer but...
                            Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 03-22-2008, 09:30 PM.
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth LambChop View Post
                              Can I use my monitor instead? It's heavier.
                              You could, but why punish the monitor that way?
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X