This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two from the Bakery

My husband is a baker at a local grocer.

1. Customer comes up and wants to order a specialty cake for a birthday. Hubby takes all the information down and ask the customer what time she will be in on Saturday to pick the cake up. Customer says she will be in at noon. Hubby writes on the order form 12:00. Customer then gets all concerned as to if the decorator will know that she means noon because hubby wrote down 12:00. Note store hours are 7am to 10pm 7 days a week.

2. Customer calls this morning at 8am to see if the two cakes she ordered are ready. Hubby replys no. Customer (in slight panic) then wants to know if they will be ready by noon which is when she stated she needed them. Hubby: yes they will be ready. Both cakes were still in cooler at 1:00 pm when hubby left for the day.

I can relate to that. So many people place a special order, call frequently to make sure it will be ready, then never show.

That happened to us once and we put the cake in the freezer just in case the cust. wanted it later. A week passed and we thawed the cake and marked it down 75% off. It sold. A few days later the cust. complained that we sold their cake (which they never paid for) and they still needed it. Yeah, could have called us, LAST WEEK. They wanted a free cake, but the MOD refused their demand.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
      I can relate to that. So many people place a special order, call frequently to make sure it will be ready, then never show.

That happened to us once and we put the cake in the freezer just in case the cust. wanted it later. A week passed and we thawed the cake and marked it down 75% off. It sold. A few days later the cust. complained that we sold their cake (which they never paid for) and they still needed it. Yeah, could have called us, LAST WEEK. They wanted a free cake, but the MOD refused their demand.
      I wish I had an MOD like that. The ones I have would tell us we could get rid of the cake. Then give the customers a free one and yell at us for getting rid of the first cake >.>
      Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

That technique is probably on some consumer "advocate" site somewhere.

HOW TO GET A FREE BIRTHDAY CAKE

1. Order a special-made cake.
        2. Be sure to call them frequently. This will let them know how important it is.
        3. Don't pick it up.
        4. Wait until it's on sale. If you need it now, buy it.

Or, even better ...

5. Wait until it sells than complain to every manager until they agree to give you a free one for selling yours.
        "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Here's a better one. Customer orders a $50 custom birthday cake shaped like a train. Picks it up; no apparent problem with the cake. A couple of days later, we hear from the area DM. Customer is unhappy because the picture on the store's website of the cake appeared to be a bigger cake than they received. How did the DM make the customer happy?

A. Refund the customer's $50.
          B. Make a new cake for the customer at no charge.
          C. Issue a $50 gift card to the customer.

If you answered A, B, or C, you are wrong. The correct answer is:

D. All of the above.

Yes, the DM gave the customer a $50 gift card, another (free) cake, AND a refund. All because the cake didn't "appear" to be as big as the picture on the website!

--Dave

Comment

Quoth Dave0523 View Post

Yes, the DM gave the customer a $50 gift card, another (free) cake, AND a refund. All because the cake didn't "appear" to be as big as the picture on the website!

--Dave
            Double your pleasure, double your bucks.

SC
            "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Items in pictures may appear larger then in person.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                Items in pictures may appear larger then in person.
                Thats a given and besides what size monitor does she have if its looks bigger than in person. must be awfully big

Comment

Quoth Dave0523 View Post
                  Here's a better one. Customer orders a $50 custom birthday cake shaped like a train. Picks it up; no apparent problem with the cake. A couple of days later, we hear from the area DM. Customer is unhappy because the picture on the store's website of the cake appeared to be a bigger cake than they received. How did the DM make the customer happy?

A. Refund the customer's $50.
                  B. Make a new cake for the customer at no charge.
                  C. Issue a $50 gift card to the customer.

If you answered A, B, or C, you are wrong. The correct answer is:

D. All of the above.

--Dave
                  That is sad. And you know next week that same customer will be visiting another one of us.
                  SC Motto "I am more important than you and others and don't you ever forget it"

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                    That technique is probably on some consumer "advocate" site somewhere.

HOW TO GET A FREE BIRTHDAY CAKE

1. Order a special-made cake.
                    2. Be sure to call them frequently. This will let them know how important it is.
                    3. Don't pick it up.
                    4. Wait until it's on sale. If you need it now, buy it.

Or, even better ...

5. Wait until it sells than complain to every manager until they agree to give you a free one for selling yours.

I am sure that such a suggestion has been already made on such a site. Usually it is titled "how to pull one over on The Man".
                    SC Motto "I am more important than you and others and don't you ever forget it"

Comment

Quoth Dave0523 View Post
                      Here's a better one. Customer orders a $50 custom birthday cake shaped like a train.
                      Was it a Thomas the Train birthday cake or just a regular train?

I'm seriously thinking about shelling out the $50 for that cake for my son's birthday.

Comment

Working...
                      X