X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qua?

Here's one for you I had today.
    I was ringing front register during the breakfast rush. (Again, the Golden Arches of Hell) A guy orders some random food, decides to eat in. I finish up his transaction, and, as per instruction, slide his receipt onto a tray to my right. Guy picks up his receipt, looks it over, and gets really angry all of a sudden. Being the good little peon I'm supposed to be, I apologise before I even know why he's angry, and find out he's pissy about the "Eat-in Tax".
    M: "Excuse me?"
    G: "There's a tax to eat in?"
    M: *look at the receipt* "No, sir, 'eat-in' means you decided to eat here, the tax is a separate item that just happens to line up perfectly with the note that you're eating in." *thinking* "Jackass."
    "I call murder on that!"

Jackass? Seems like a legitimate complaint to me. I wouldn't want to pay extra to have to eat in.

Comment

Quoth CanadaGirl View Post
      Jackass? Seems like a legitimate complaint to me. I wouldn't want to pay extra to have to eat in.
      Since he decided to get angry about it first instead of just asking about it, I think the jackass label would apply.

Comment

Wow, too bad there's not a 'jackass tax,' then this country would be rich.
        This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Actually back in the 1980's when I got my first job in Rapid City..they actually had two different taxes for dine in and dine out. I remember it well because I was working at Burger King and I had to do the usual speil..is that for here or to go and noticed the price difference so I asked. I don't remember when it changed but I am sure it was pretty unpopular.

Comment

Quoth CanadaGirl View Post
            Don't come to Ohio. Believe it or not, carry out food here isn't taxed (although carry-out drinks are), but you have to pay for the privelege of eating under someone else's roof.

Confusing? Yeah, but just the result of what was supposed to be a merciful state constitution (the state governement may not tax food. But when budget shortfalls occur, they start looking for money somewhere. And nothing prohibits taxing services.)

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
              Don't come to Ohio. Believe it or not, carry out food here isn't taxed (although carry-out drinks are), but you have to pay for the privelege of eating under someone else's roof.
              Really? I just vacationed in Ohio (stop your snickering kids!), and did not notice that. Then again, I did not do much take out, other than on the road, and frankly, rarely look at a receipt that closely, unless I think the total is way out of line with what I ordered.

Interesting how they worked that one out.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

In Germany, VAT is 16% for most items. One exception is take-away food; there, the VAT is only 7%. Thus, McD's or BK or whomever make an extra 9% every time someone takes their meal to go - since the price of the meal is the same.
                You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post
                  Thus, McD's or BK or whomever make an extra 9% every time someone takes their meal to go - since the price of the meal is the same.
                  Actually, McD or BK don't get to keep either amount. So they're not getting extra money. Germany is.
                  I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth Blinky View Post
                    Since he decided to get angry about it first instead of just asking about it, I think the jackass label would apply.
                    I agree. I'll admit that I'm quick on the draw to point out something that seems odd to me on a recipt, but I've never been a jerk about it.

By asking nicely and being polite and patient you'll get on the good side of the person behind the counter pretty darn quick. As an added perk, when you question something else they don't roll their eyes and sigh loudly at you.

Mongo
                    I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

And here I am thinking that the measly 7% total we have to pay is a lot.
                      Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Working...
                      X