This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scam artist

Occasionally, management hands out emails warning cashiers about scam artists. I read over them very carefully.

Last night, I had a guy come in. A few seconds later, a lady comes in. The guy buys five dollars worth of stuff. Pays with a 50 dollar bill. No big deal. I've had customers pay for a 99 cent paper with a hundred dollar bill (any one ever heard of banks? People can actually exchange large bills for more managable twenties and tens). Anyway, I ring him up. He hands me his money. Finish the transaction. He looks at his money. Says something about not realizing he gave me a fifty. He needs it to pay someone. I refuse to open my register per corporate rules. He buys a lighter. Gives me fifty dollars, plus the cost of a lighter. He then tells me instead of a fifty dollar bill, he wants one hundred dollars back. It goes down hill from there. He starts talking loudly, really fast. Keeps shoving his money at me. During this time, I have no clue what is going on. Mean while, the lady behind him starts yelling at me. "He gave you the right amount! Just give him his money!" He leaves. She wants cigs. We don't seem to have the type she smokes. She leaves.

To make a long story short, we end the transaction. I still don't realize that we got scammed. After they left, I felt something was not quite right. Told the assistant manager that I think I gave a customer the wrong change. I ask for him to count the register. "I just did it an hour ago." But I gave him the wrong change. "I'll count it in a few minutes." Never got to it.

Fast foward to today. I asked the other assistant manager if the register balanced. She said it was way short. I talk to one of my regulars. He senses that I am a bit disturbed. I tell him what happened, that I cannot figure out what happened. It just did not seem right. Well, it happens to be that he is a former detective. He tells me exactly what happened. He even describes the guy. Told me that if needed, he is willing to talk to my manager. Says that he seen scam artists like that all the time.

I then talked to the assistant manager. Told her everything he told me. Apparently, one of my coworkers who I talked to sensed that I was not totally aware that I was scammed. She let the assistant manager know (bless her heart). I told her that I felt completely stupid and that if I had known what was happening, I would have stopped it. She told me that there is nothing they can do about it. However, if they come back into the store, the police would be called.

Anyone deal with something like this? I still feel upset about it. I do have a good description of the guy (not his clothing). Plus, the security camera above the register (while not the greatest) also got a good look at him.
    At the end of the day, customers are NOT always right.

Quoth blaubent View Post
    He then tells me instead of a fifty dollar bill, he wants one hundred dollars back.
    "No sir, I'm giving you the change you deserve, anything after that, you need to talk to the manager to get."
    *shut the drawer*
    Fast change artist. With an accomplice, apparently.
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Next time that happens just direct them to customer service or if that isn't an option direct them the nearest bank or offer to get a manager for them. They will leave.

Don't feel bad it's obviously worked before and will work again so you aren't the only one.
      Last edited by Blinky; 09-04-2006, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Quoth Blinky View Post
        Don't feel bad it's obviously worked before and will work again so you aren't the only one.
        Yeah, and then they start fast-talking you, yelling at you or giving you different notes to change out, rapid-fire, to get you flustered so that you panic and give them the wrong change. And it certainly didn't help that your AM dragged his feet about counting your till.

That's an old scam, and unfortunately, it works. They need to make training videos that show how to spot quick-change artists, counterfeit money and other scams instead of the stupid "customer is always right" brainwashing BS.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

If a customer tells me that I or one of the checkers didn't give them the right amount of change, I tell the customer that the drawer will have to be spotted. If the customer can't wait, I get their name and number and call them after the till has been spotted so I can let them know if they got their change or not.
          My Fanfic Page
          My Fiction Page
          My Social Group
          My Pet Social Group
          My You Tube Channel

Comment

Some guy tried to do that to my manager at my old job....almost the exact same thing happened and she was so nervous that her draw was going to be too short. She went in the back and counted it....then came out laughing. The scammer scammed /himself/ out of $20
            Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Another thing I can suggest is to learn all you can about how the quick change scam works. If you can keep a cool head you can start confusing the hell out of the scammer. You've got to learn how to keep cool during a rush though. They will only come in during a busy time of day. Don't get mad or frustrated! get even!
              Last edited by Blinky; 09-04-2006, 11:26 PM. Reason: 'cause I cant speel wright.

Comment

I've been there back in the days of the register. Scammers will try the above or similar anywhere they think they can get away with it.

I was always trained that in the event that you come across someone "insisting" that they gave you an X bill yet you know you received a Y, close the drawer and call a supervisor immediately.

Another important thing to try to remember: keep your cool. Scammers are looking to get your all nervous and upset. So take a deep breath and explain that you have to have a manager or supervisor come over and pull the drawer to have it counted.

If they still insist, and some scammers will, just simply say "I'm sorry Sir/Ma'am, but it's company policy. You can discuss the matter with the supervisor/manager when they arrive."

Most scammers won't stick around for a manger or supervisor to come to the register. They'll haul ass out of there quicker than you can holler "911."

Yep, it does sound as if the woman behind the guy was an accomplice, which is a slightly different twist on the ol' switcheroo.

I'm not sure how strict your company is on shortages, but I do recall when I was cashiering (back at the ol' WD) if a cashier came up $5 short or more, they received a write-up. Three of those and the cashier would be terminated. One of the many reasons why myself or any other cashier would need to call for management to come to the register any time a customer said we didn't give them the right amount of change back.

So try to be careful next time and don't lose your head - you NEED it.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post

I'm not sure how strict your company is on shortages, but I do recall when I was cashiering (back at the ol' WD) if a cashier came up $5 short or more, they received a write-up. Three of those and the cashier would be terminated. One of the many reasons why myself or any other cashier would need to call for management to come to the register any time a customer said we didn't give them the right amount of change back.

So try to be careful next time and don't lose your head - you NEED it.
                  They make us sign a paper stating that we were on the register at the time. However, many people can be on the same register. If they notice a trend, they take it to loss prevention. Only one person has been fired for it. Apparently he'd been stealing other items as well. I've been on the shorts/overage list a few times.

I am going to talk to my main manager. The only other person on the register shortly after myself was my co-worker (who is a complete sweetheart). I am going to ask my manager to leave my coworker out of it (and off the paper) being that she was not the one responsible for dealing with the scammer. Yet, coporate might not approve of that.

The regular (former detective) said that the scammer was unusual due to his partner, and the fact that the store was relatively dead at the time.
                  At the end of the day, customers are NOT always right.

Comment

Hey, it happens to the best of us. I was supervising in my old store and my colleague was finishing up a transaction. I happened to be there and saw the whole transaction. He then claimed that he had given her a $20 and not a $5. I saw the $5 (one advantage of having coloured bills). As the supervisor, I offered to count the till and sort out the discrepancy, which he declined. Haha, nice try, buddy.

I gave someone back $15 too much once. My head was feeling a little cloudy and I don't know if the guy was scamming me or just being useless. I counted the till after he left was discovered the shortage. I told my manager immediately and apologized. He was just happy that I 'fessed up to it.

-BusBus
                    -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                    -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

I got hit by a scammer like that, complete with an accomplice standing behind him, watching for management. Same deal, bought a small dollar item with a big bill. Then wanted change for $100, kept counting it out and then getting change again. All it all, I lost $400 out of my till and I never knew it until management and loss prevention showed me the tape.

I was 16 and it was my first job. Usually, they'll work in teams and they'll look for new or young cashiers, so I was a prime target.

Anyway, it happens to more people than you think. Just take it as a learning experience and be glad that your company isn't deducting it directly from your paycheck (I hope!)

http://www.bbbsouthal.org/news23.html Good link for quick change artist info
                      Last edited by Crawley; 09-05-2006, 01:00 AM.
                      If today is an indication of the rest of the week, I'm going to need to start drinking. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

I had one guy come back after I had given him his ticket and change, and he insisted he had given me a 20, not a 10, and I still owed him 10. I stupidly gave it to him. That's the only time I've had someone pull something like that with me.
                        I may have had quickchange artists try me, but I always insist, Wait until I give you your change from this transaction before you shove more money at me! I've even shoved the money back at them, give them their change from the purchase, THEN slide the money back to myself, leave it on the counter by the till, and hand them their change. Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on me.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I've had people try it. Never works with me. I tell them "Sorry, corporate policy, I won't open the register and I listen to the computer for what I give back in the easiest possible demoninations. No change outside of that may be given. There's a bank just outside the mall if you need it."

They can fool you, but if you always give change back in the easiest possible denominations (don't give out any other change) and listen to the computer, they're stopped dead in their tracks.

Comment

yeah, I got hit by it. Didn't realize it till after they left though. None of my managers blame me though. This guy was just too good. Gave me some advice for the next time it's tried though.
                            I AM the evil bastard!
                            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I think what should have happened, if my maths is correct, is that if he wanted a $100 bill, you needed to ask him for the $45 change you gave him in the first transaction, plus the first set of goods he bought for $5, plus the lighter and the change from the other $50 he paid with (you would have had to refund all the goods)

I can definitely see how that could be confusing when the customer is shouting at you. It wasn't your fault, so don't worry about it.
                              'Our brightest days are yet to shine'
                              'You see the depths of my heart, and You love me the same'

Comment

Working...
                              X