This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But I Wanted......

I work as an office assistant for a catering company. I deal with the SCs on the phone and when they have pickups. The phone calls are quite interesting.

Me- xxCatering
    SC-I'd like to order some food.
    Me-What date will you be needing this?
    SC-Today
    Me-Well, the only thing I can offer today is cabbage rolls (we make these ahead of time)
    SC-But I wanted <insert name of item here>. Can't you make it?

I want to say, No we can't make it. We are cooking food for people that ordered ahead of time. If you wanted it that bad, you would have called earlier.

Then you have the one that whines because you are leaving. We are closed on Monday. My boss was out of town and I set up a roll order for a big job on Tuesday morning. I had to be there on Monday to wait for the bread man. SC comes in wanting a pan of cabbage rolls. OK, I can sell you a pan of cabbage rolls, but they are frozen.

SC-Can I just put these in my car until I get off work.
    Me-Uh, Ma'am, I wouldn't put those in your car. (it is 96 degrees)
    SC-Ok, then I will just pick them up when I go on break, I just work down the street. It will be around 2.
    Me-I don't know if I will be here around 2. We are closed today and I am only here waiting on a delivery.
    SC-<whining> But I need those cabbage rolls.
    Me-Ma'am I am leaving when the bread man comes.
    SC-What time is that?
    Me-I don't know. We don't have a scheduled time.
    SC-Will you call me when you leave?
    Me-Give me your number. I will call you at work before I leave and you can pick them up then.

Talked to the boss about this. Turns out those cabbage rolls were *needed* for her anniversary dinner with her husband. She wanted him to think she cooked. And her working "just down the street"? She lives "up the street". She couldn't take them home when she was there the first time?

And now we have the brain child.

SC-How much is a pound of macaroni salad?
    Me-It is $2.50 a pound.
    SC-OK, how much would 2 pounds be?
    Me-$5
    SC-How about tossed salad?
    Me-$15.00 for a small tray.
    SC-How much would 2 trays be? I don't have my calculator handy.

And finally we have the last minute holiday shoppers. We are open on major holidays so people can pick up their orders in the morning. Orders must be picked up no later than noon.

Phone rings.....at 11:30 am.

SC-What food do you have left?
    Me-We have 4 pounds of potato salad.
    SC-Is that all?
    Me-Yes
    SC-Why didn't you make more stuff?
    Me-We will be closed for 3 days. Any food left over will have to be wasted. It won't be consumable.
    SC-Well, I wanted chicken!

Back to the thought-Well, if you wanted it that bad, you would have called in earlier. NOT on the Holiday!

So, the hoildays are right around the corner. I will definately be back to share the madness that I will be putting up with.

And you will hearing from me before then. I know there are more to come.
    Last edited by notthecook; 09-06-2006, 12:13 PM.

Whoa, you think these ppl have the ability to think ahead? It's just not in their genetic makeup or something.
    The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

Quoth notthecook View Post
      SC-I'd like to order some food.
      Me-What date will you be needing this?
      SC-Today
      <snip>
      I want to say, No we can't make it. We are cooking food for people that ordered ahead of time. If you wanted it that bad, you would have called earlier.

At the store I work at, the UNENFORCED policy is that orders have to be places at least 24 hours in advance. In actuality, if they want something that will be picked up at, say noon, they next day, they can order it as late as 9 pm that night.

Only rarely will we do a last minute order, and it's usually either for the owners or a last minute call for someone who's holding a wake.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Again, my all time favorite statement could apply to these situations:

"A lack of preperation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!"
        "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

OR as I learned from my drama director:

"Poor prior planning produces piss poor performance"

I just like the aliteration.
          The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Working...
          X