This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Further Tales from the Resale Trade - Book buying annoyances

I work in used books and I need to vent.

Today it's about buying across the counter.

I still find it amazing how you can judge the quality of books by the container they are brought in. I can see no sense in the pattern maybe someone here can.

This is the quality of books guaged by the container they come in, in ascending order.

garbage bags.
    plastic tubs.
    plastic laundry baskets.
    clothing/department store bags (ritziness of the store is an independent variable).
    luggage
    supermarket bags
    old cardboard boxes, excepting those that baby paraphenalia came in, those belong much higher on the list.

Yes, I mean it. when people bring the books they're selling in an old cardboard box the books are usually better than what people bring in anyother container.

This pattern is about 90% reliable.

If the books are just thrown in the container they are almost always crap.

If the seller keeps yammering at you about how good the books are when you are going through them they pretty much always crap.

We also tend to work on what my boss calls the contaigen theory. The more junk books we have gone through from a given seller the more likely we are to assume that a borderline book is junk.

The variations from this pattern are pretty much down to noise level.

One guy hit all four. He came in with a box that a stroler came in (1st strike) with books just loosly tossed in (2nd strike). This box had a base about an arms lenght by an arms lenght and was waist high. I quickly scanned the top and decided that the chance of having something worth my time deeper in the box was about nill (3rd strike).

Unfortunately these rules are not 100% so you have to look at everything. As I was mining my way towards the bottom he kept talking up the books (4th strike).

I finally reached the bottom of the box and found (drumroll)
    Nothing.

Another thing I hate is when people bring in several containers and throw all of them on my counter. I don't have nearly enough counter space (a complaint the boss is tired of hearing). People need to put their purchases there. I need to be able to move the books from one pile to another while I am tallying them. People need to put their purses and bags there while I am ringing them up. I need space to place the books I want to buy as I remove them. None of this can happen if the counter is covered.

A minor annoyance is people stacking the books in the boxes face up. For long term storage you want to to that, but for selling, spine up is the best . I can scan the titles quickly and get you out with your money much faster.

Another minor annoyance is people who are oblivious to condition. Look at the stacks of a used book store. That is the conditon we like.

One reason I'm posting this is that a lot of this is stuff people who aren't in the trade could reasonably be expected to know. So tell your friends when selling books to a used book store:
    Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

What do you mean by plastic tubs? I've always transported my books to a bookstore in rubbermaid tubs that aren't much thicker than the books themselves. It's a pain to get them ready, but I can put them as you suggest, spine up, and in a single layer so they can take a quick look at them and get me an idea on price.

I know what you mean about junk books though. I'll go to a yardsale to find books, but I only submit things like Tom CLancey, Steven King, and other decent authors. The computer generated romance novels I toss and any of the decent romance novels (J.D. Robb, etc) gets put up on a online book swap I'm subscribed to.

Mongo
    I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
      If the seller keeps yammering at you about how good the books are when you are going through them they pretty much always crap.
      This is what gets me the most. When people come in to pawn their stuff and you're trying to look at the item that they give you, they'll tell me how much they paid for (usually some insane amount for no-name brand small tool set). - And these are the people who want a lot of money for the item (and they forget they have to pay all that back plus interest if they want their item back. . .)

We get our prices mostly off eBay, which'll give us a rough idea how well the item is doing in the market, 2nd option is to google, see how much is going for new, 3rd option is to deny it (it's too old) or wing it (if it's really cool).
      This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Mark, question for ya about an old book I have

The Illustrated War News

Volume 2

Dates covered:
        From Nov. 14 1914 to Jan. 20 1915

Just a ballpark figure
        "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Quoth Mr. Rude View Post

Mark, question for ya about an old book I have

The Illustrated War News

Volume 2

Dates covered:
          From Nov. 14 1914 to Jan. 20 1915

Just a ballpark figure
          You just hit another one. We need to have it in our hands to make an intelligent evaluation. There's no getting around it. Sorry.

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
            What do you mean by plastic tubs? I've always transported my books to a bookstore in rubbermaid tubs that aren't much thicker than the books themselves. It's a pain to get them ready, but I can put them as you suggest, spine up, and in a single layer so they can take a quick look at them and get me an idea on price.
            Single layer isn't that important. We can take out a handfull from the top layer and shift the rest around to look at the bottom.

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
            I know what you mean about junk books though. I'll go to a yardsale to find books, but I only submit things like Tom CLancey, Steven King, and other decent authors. The computer generated romance novels I toss and any of the decent romance novels (J.D. Robb, etc) gets put up on a online book swap I'm subscribed to.

Mongo
            It sounds like you may be passing on some gems.

There are two types of used book stores.

1) The paperback exchange. They're usually in shopping centers with a grocery store. deal primarily in popular fiction, are looking for fast turnover and aren't interrested in out of prrint stuff.

2) The conventional used book store. You'll find them in neighborhoods with a high ratio of education to income (I actually downloaded census data and tested this for San Diego and LA.). They carry the popular stuff but really like to carry the niche stuff and will hold on to things for years.

Publishers do wierd things. They will do a run of a niche title and remainder it quickly. Some books can fetch twice their cover price within a couple of years of going out of print.

If you're selling to the first type of store you are probably following the best strategy. If you are selling to the second type think narrowly focused non fiction.

Comment

Some books can fetch twice their cover price within a couple of years of going out of print.
              I like to collect comic books of independent and syndicated comics that I read on-line or in the paper, from the obscure ("Eyebeam", "Bruno") to the mainstream ("Get Fuzzy"). You would not believe what old paperbacks of early "Funky Winkerbean" bring on the used-book market. This comic is a very good one today; back in its early years in the 70's it was pretty lame and corny. Those cheaply printed inexpensive compilations of the old corny strips now go for hundreds of dollars. No other newspaper comics that I'm interested in go for anywhere near these prices. Very odd. "Funky Winkerbean" just doesn't seem to me that it would be near the same collectibility league as the old superhero comic books, but there's no accounting for this sort of thing. Witness the Beanie Baby craze of the '90s.
              Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
              TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Publishers do wierd things. They will do a run of a niche title and remainder it quickly. Some books can fetch twice their cover price within a couple of years of going out of print.

If you're selling to the first type of store you are probably following the best strategy. If you are selling to the second type think narrowly focused non fiction.
                I can attest to this. I study historical European weapons and warfare (primarily late middle ages, German), and there are a lot of books on the subject that can sell for over a grand in the right condition that sold for fifty when they were printed. Old museum catalogues (which were generally sold originally in the gift shop for a few bucks) can be high demand collectors items if it's from a good collection and they had the right pieces on display that season. Part of the problem is until very recently anything with the type of information that modern hobbiests like myself want would have only appealed to a much smaller group of specialized historians fifteen or twenty years ago, so a lot of the books were printed in very small runs.

Comment

Quoth laughingfuzzball View Post
                  I can attest to this. I study historical European weapons and warfare (primarily late middle ages, German), and there are a lot of books on the subject that can sell for over a grand in the right condition that sold for fifty when they were printed.
                  I can attest to that too. Even though I model one of the larger railroads (well, at least until it became part of Conrail in '76...) books aren't readily available. Try finding a copy of Yanosey's "Penn Central Power" sometime. It was printed in 1990, and hasn't been reprinted since. Supposedly, the demand isn't there--the recent PC stuff (the freight/passenger car color guide, and the "Sampling of PC" photo books) haven't sold very well. Yet, even poor condition "PC Power" books are going for ridiculous prices (rougly $100-200, 2 to *4* times what the book originally sold for!) on Ebay lately. If that's the case, you'd think that the publisher would jump at the chance. But, so far, they haven't. Oh well, at least I got lucky with my copy. I found a mint copy for $100 at a convention some years ago...and pounced on it. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but seeing as it was still shrink-wrapped (and with the original ad insert still in it!) I'm not complaining
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                  X