This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puzzling Logic

I got an email from a customer who last bought software in January 2005. Her purchase entitled her to a year of additional upgrade at no extra cost. The last release she was entitled to occured in August 2005.

We just came out with a new version this month which she wants very badly, but she will have to pay for. Per our policies, she is entitled to a steep discount since her last purchase was less than three years ago.

Also worth noting is that she received a substantial discount on the upgrade she bought in 2005 well beyond what she was entitled to. Mark must have been feeling generous that day. <shrug>

Nevertheless she is angry that she will have to pay at all for the new version. Her logic of entitlement is truly fascinating. Let's take a look at it:
    So for those of us who purchased the product early we now have to pay again for the upgrade... Supporting the company/product early is obviously not a benefit.

I know it's a bit tangled. Let me interpret, if I may:

Because she bought something earlier than the people who bought something within the last year (and are thus still entitled to a free download), she was supporting our company and product better than than those people who bought something later. Therefore, we owe her at least what we are giving those people and probably more.

It's funny. I though people paid for our product because they wanted it, could afford it and like the way we provide service. I thought the timing of their purchases was based on their current desire to have the product and their ability to afford it right then.

I also thought our part of the deal was to make a product, provide good service and hope people would buy it.

I honestly had no idea that our customers were buying something they didn't really want right then, out of the goodness of their hearts and for no other reason than to "support" us and our product. <sniff> How could I be so unseeing?

I think I'm going to go over the my Honda dealer and demand he restart my warranty. After all, I bought my car in 2005 and am supporting his company better than people who waited until 2006 to buy a new car...
    Last edited by Dips; 09-07-2006, 05:06 PM.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Quoth Dips View Post
    Because she bought something earlier than the people who bought something within the last year (and are thus still entitled to a free download), she was supporting our company and product better than than those people who bought something later. Therefore, we owe her at least what we are giving those people and probably more.
    Er....? I'd like to know where people come up with some of this crap. This is truly mindboggling! For example, how does "supporting the company" equal getting something for free? Wouldn't that um, be *not* supporting the company?
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
      Er....? I'd like to know where people come up with some of this crap. This is truly mindboggling! For example, how does "supporting the company" equal getting something for free? Wouldn't that um, be *not* supporting the company?
      My sentiments exactly. I understand that in most things, people have a choice and they chose to come to one company or another...but just because you have chosen said company, why do you think it makes you the only customer who is entitled to things others aren't?

Not related to software, but the company I work for has been in business doing what they do for over 100 years! They have NEVER been in the red on their books and they make BILLIONS! We have over 45 million customers in the states alone...

...it cracks me up when someone gets mad at me and tells me they are going to put us out of business! It's all I can do to keep myself from laughing out loud in their ear.
      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Working...
      X