This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference of information

Last night I was closing and since I was working with a friend who always drives me home when we work together when I was told I could close up and start cashing out I instead offered to stay until my friend was ready to leave as well.
    What a mistake.
    My last customers (15 minutes after closing) were a man and woman who had four wardrobe doors, two of which were wood and the other two mirrored doors.
    Ignoring the tackiness of mirrored doors the following took place:

Woman: We have a refund card, is that ok?
    Me: Sure. *processes refund card* Ok, your new total is $xxx.xx.
    Woman: Oh, and we also have this. *pulls out an old receipt*
    Me: Ma I see that?
    Woman: Sure. It's because we bought these doors when they were on sale for 20% off but the mirrored doors were broken when we got home. We refunded them but you didn't have any in stock at the time so a manager said he would honour the 20% when you got them in again.

Ok, sounds fair so far. Then I read the note on the receipt.

It went something like this:
    "Item was damaged upon opening. Please honour 20% on article number: xxx xxx xx. W(assistant manager)."
    I check the article number he wrote down, checked the old receipt to see they indeed did refund two items with that article number, then checked to see what they were buying to find that what they had did not match the note that was written.

Me: Ok the note he wrote down mentions an item that's different from what you have here.
    Woman: Well it's wrong then!
    Me: Well this manager isn't here right now so I won't be able to ask him personally but I-
    Woman: Well he wrote the wrong thing down! See, he even made an arrow to the item! *rips the receipt from my hand and in a jerking motion shows me what I've already seen, pointing hard at the receipt*

I notice that the manager, W, had written in light blue ink and the arrow was in dark blue ink.

Me: One moment, let me ask my manager about this.

I explain everything to my manager who is at my friend's lane helping her with something and she comes over.

Me: *to woman* May I see the receipt again?
    Woman: You're supposed to take 20% off! *tugging on the receipt not letting me take it*
    Me: Ok, but can I please see the receipt to hand to my manager?
    Woman: Look, right there! He even made an arrow to the item! *still pulling the receipt*
    Manager: Can I see that, please? *checks it over* Ok, the thing is we have to go by the note he left and since that doesn't match up with what you're buying now we have a problem.
    Woman: What's the problem? Just take the damn money of! *pulls receipt back AGAIN*
    Manager: The information on this receipt is unclear and I don't have to honour this 20%.
    Me: *thinking * YES! This woman is getting NOTHING!*
    Manager: *to me* Take the 20% off and I'll memo W in the morning about this.
    Me: *thinking: dammit dammit DAMMIT! She's NEVER spineless, what gives? Oh wait, we want to get out of here. But still, this woman shouldn't be getting anything.*

So I take the 20% off each door, which at $70 each comes to $28 and think to myself: You know, I bet the doors were fine and they refunded them for another reason and it was actually the $35 shelves that were damaged.

I ring everything through and what do I get?
    Woman: Let me see that receipt! *tries to rip it from my hand* I want to make sure you did this properly.
    Me: *pulls hand back and holds the receipt out and points as I speak* Here are the items, here is the refund card amount that was deducted, here is the credit which we did as a coupon for $28, and here is the final total that went on your Visa.
    Woman: Fine. *signs slip then says in that sickly sweet tone* You have a wonderfu--
    Me: *already started walking away*

I seriously believe that what was written on the receipt was correct, as W is a very thorough manager and wouldn't make a mistake like that.

Even if what was on the receipt was incorrect it doesn't justify her acting like a three year-old.

Oh and the kicker? The date on the older receipt was January 13th, 2008. You're telling me we didn't have anymore in stock between then and now? BULLSHIT!

I sense either stupidity or a scam.

Maybe I'm just cynical, though.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Just wondering how 20% off $70 is $28? Shouldn't they have been $56 each?
      "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
      "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

Quoth ZumZum View Post
        Just wondering how 20% off $70 is $28? Shouldn't they have been $56 each?
        $28 is the combined 20% from each door. They had two.
        So instead of overriding the price to $56 each we do a coupon for $28 ($14 for each $70 door).

Comment

Working...
        X