Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do people really think we're that stupid.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do people really think we're that stupid.

Guy comes in. Wants smokes. He gets carded. He's born 1988. He legal age.
    So he pays, gets his smokes and ID back. So what does he do? He goes to beer cooler, and has his hand on the beer. I tell him get the F away from the coolers, your not even 20 yet.

He tells me he didn't think I'd remember, and just assumed he was old enough.

He really didn't seem like he was joking ether. (Legal Age is 21 here in the states!)

Later, its 2:40 am. Phone rings. I answer. The guy on the other end TELLS me, not asks, TELLS me Beer sales stop at 3 am, right?
    Me: No, 2:30 am man.
    Him: No its not. Its 3:00!!!
    Me: ... No. Its not.
    Him: *hangs up*.

Oh wow! Mysterious voice on the phone, you are right! It's always been 3:00 am! We just tell people its 2:30 for shits and giggles! We've been keeping that lie on for YEARS! Ether that or I'm a deaf/blind monkey that was never trained at this job.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Maybe he's calling every single gas station in the state to try and convince/will them into being wrong.
    You don't know what Hades is until you've worked at least one Christmas Season in a toy store that offers free gift wrapping.

Comment

Heh, I was sitting here thinking "What's the problem?"

Then I realized where you were from.

I'm pretty sure they do think we are that dumb. Problem is they're usually that dumb as well.

Comment

I don't think that customers think you're dumb. Just that they don't think you're any smarter than they are.
        "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

My favorite is underage kids trying to act older when they buy beer. Here's a free tip: real adults don't spend 1/2 and hour trying to build up the courage to walk down the beer aisle.
          -John
          www.piecomic.com

Comment

Yes. Yes they do.

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
              He tells me he didn't think I'd remember, and just assumed he was old enough.

OK, now that's a really stupid person!!!

Comment

The problem with your post's title "Do people really think we're that stupid" is that:

Yes, customers really think that you're as stupid as they are.
                Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                  We just tell people its 2:30 for shits and giggles!
                  Exactly, lol.

My co-worker had a man repeat the same question at least ten times. And we still don't think he believed her answer.

Comment

Quoth trench2k View Post
                    The problem with your post's title "Do people really think we're that stupid" is that:

Yes, customers really think that you're as stupid as they are.
                    Much like 419 scammers, SCs think they're smarter than everyone else.

In both cases hilarity ensues... 419eaters get the scammers to wear shirts that say "That's MR DOUCHEBAG to you!" and SCs get laughed out of the store.

Comment

Quoth mcjohnwcheese View Post
                      My favorite is underage kids trying to act older when they buy beer. Here's a free tip: real adults don't spend 1/2 and hour trying to build up the courage to walk down the beer aisle.
                      i have to admit, the first time after I was old enough to buy alcohol it did take me nearly half an hour (i had turned 21 the day before and while I was legal this was something completely new)...

that said most people who know what the hell they're doing doesn't take half an hour.
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

It's easy to spot the men who are of-age: they're buying alcohol, tampons and condoms ... and aren't even the slightest bit nervous or embarrassed.
                        "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                          i have to admit, the first time after I was old enough to buy alcohol it did take me nearly half an hour.
                          You know it was strange. I was 21 by about two months. I was buying christmas gifts. Friend of family was coming. He loves beer. I got beer. I was NOT carded for beer. I however, WAS carded for an rated R movie. I tried to tell the Customer service. Not trying to be a sucky customer, just letting them know I'm BARELy 21, and the guy didn't even bat an eye. Manager didn't see the problem as I was 21.

Just.... trying to be nice. Ya know, the whole getting caught selling underage getting fined thousands of dollars and thrown in jail possibly. Whatever.
                          Military Spouse Support.
                          http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                          Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Is it really that strict there?
                            I mean, here you can get beer underage pretty much everywhere. Sure, it's not legal and I know a few stores that have lost their liquor licences over this, but most clerks don't care.

Hell, this reminded me. When I was still 17 my mother started joking with me every time I went shopping by asking me to get beer/cigs for her. One time I did. Hehe.
                            Music: Last.fm
                            Pwetty pictuwes: DeviantArt | Flickr

Comment

Quoth PaRaGaS View Post
                              Is it really that strict there?...
                              Yes. Most places have a strict rule of carding everyone who looks under a certain age (eg 35) or carding every customer. Liquor laws vary widely by state (50+ sets of rules), but the one thing they all have in common is the drinking age, 21. I live in Pennsylvania where wine & spirits are only sold in government-run stores ("Wine & Spirits Shoppes", aka "state stores) and the way beer is sold is even more bizarre. Ironically state stores are the only place I don't get carded (then again the Liquor Control Board can't very well fine itself).
                              Mon aƩroglisseur est plein des anguilles!"

Comment

Working...
                              X