This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
    Fortunately, at our Gaming Store, all the CCGs are behind the counters on shelves. The kids/adults players have to point or tell me which CCG they want. It's so easy.
    That's how it is at my old place, but there was/is nothing stopping anyone from waltzing back there (I would lock the reg and take the key with me if I had to go to the bathroom) save shipping detritus on the floor and even that wasn't a deterrent. I tried to put a rope up, but was told it looked messy The case with the pricy singles/semiprecious dice sets isn't even locked and it's obvious.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
      The dumpster diving thing is tricky for me.

Legally once it hits the can in the street it's fair game, police can look through it without a warrant, etc.

You should see my neighborhood when it's bulk trash pickup night, people just wander the streets, or drive up and down looking through what's been put out. This year we had the trucks with people looking for metal pieces since the price of scrap has skyrocketed.
      My brother and I (along with a few of our neighborhood friends) used to go over to the UltraWheels factory that was only 6 blocks from our house and raid their dumpsters. We founds pairs and pairs of in-line skates in there that were obviously not perfect, but otherwise worked. Even in-line hockey skates that only had cosmetic defects but otherwise worked perfect. We would sell most of them to kids we knew. Any other skates that weren't useable, we just took the wheels off and sold them.

Then the company started putting chains and bolts on the dumpsters, so no more free skates. This was over 10 years ago though. I don't even think the company is in that location anymore.
      "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Well, I guess I'd be watched like a hawk in your store then. because I will stand there for an hour agonizing over which pack to choose.
        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I'm rather in favor of dumpster diving, and not because I do it myself (I don't). It's because America (at least) wastes enough stuff without perfectly servicable products being added to the pile.

Frankly, if a company wants to throw away perfectly good merchandise, or even simply serviceable merchandise, I think they should be willing to face the dumpster divers about it. I think it's stupid that they say, "Well, this skate's ugly, we're tossing it, but don't let someone else take it from our dumpster! We need to fill those landfills, dangit!" If you don't want someone else taking it for free, sell it! Donate it to charity or something! Open up an outlet store where you sell the less-than-perfect products! Or at least try to find some way to properly recycle it!
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Precisely. I used to dumpster-dive at college (you would not believe some of the stuff departing students tossed out, I scored a bunch of manga that wasn't my bag but which I ended up selling for $100).

I saw an article on "outlet stores" once...at one time they used to sell the imperfect stuff cheap (I remember going to the mill outlet stores with my grandmother back in the day), but now they're just as expensive if not more so than the mall locations.

I don't quite understand the people who dumpster dive for food though, sealed goods on a pallet out back is one thing, but actually rummaging through trash bags... yikes.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Tee View Post
              Friends kids did that, apparently he'd try to sell them at school.

When she found out, he was slapped by her, grounded, all electronics taken away, then everything else for good measure.

Dad found out, HE slapped him, was about to do everything else above, found it already done, so he canceled and deleted every account he had (Myspace, WoW, AIM, etc.), then told him that till told otherwise, school, transportation between school and home were the only locations he was allowed at. If found elsewhere...

They wouldn't even tell me what the last part was.

I love her though, and her husband, that's just one of many reasons. :3

But even her idiot kid didn't do it a second time...
              I'm going to school and then into the academy to end up (hopefully) a state trooper, so if I ever catch my kids doing that, I'll explain to them that it's part of my job to enforce the law no matter who it is that does it, be they my family or not, and then let them squirm while I do the paperwork to bring them up on criminal charges, before burning them, and let the kids figure out that I was just screwing with them at their own pace.
              "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

Working...
              X