This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No deal for you!

I deal primarily with Game consoles, games, etc. Now we sell consols pretty much at cost, with maybe 1 or 2 dollar markup. This customer happened to come in while I was having a real bad day. (T-storm blew out my old UPS, co-worker phoned in sick, big release day)

SC = moron a
    SB = moron b
    ME = ready to scream

SC: Can I get a 360?
    Me: Sure, I'll go get one.
    <comes back with 360>
    SC: Can you give me a deal on a free wireless controller?
    Me: No.
    SB: I'm sure another place will give us one.
    SC: <to SB> should we go somewhere else?
    SB: maybe
    SC: <to me> maybe we'll go somewhere else.
    ME: Your choice.
    SB: Why won't you give us a free controller?
    ME: Because we make no money off game consoles (there is no Gross Margin on them at all, I know), If I give you a free controller, we lose money on the sale, not make money on it.
    SB: Oh, you make more than 50 dollars on the console.
    ME: We don't even make 5 dollars on it.
    SB: That's what every salesman says.
    SC: <after a few more seconds thinking about it> Okay I'll get it.

I take the console up to the till and leave it with the cashier (didn't even try for a service plan with these two) and went back to my department. I got a hold of my supervisor and she came in for a few hours to help me out and let me go for lunch. While I was going for lunch(about an hour after I talked with these two wastes of space), the cashier tells me the 360 is still there and he thinks SC and SB left. I told him if it's still there after my lunch break, I'll take it back an lock it up. Sure enough, no sale so back it went. Wonder if they went to the place in the malll that has them for $650+? Every manager I talked to wonders why I didn't just cut off the sale. I wonder that myself. I couldn't have gotten in trouble, our numbers were strong enough without it.

Meh, If I wasn't having such a bad day, I would have laughed at the two when they asked for the controller.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

I sell games too.

I can't believe all the people that come in wanting me to throw in "extras" if they buy a console. Ie "If I buy a PS2, two controllers and two memory cards, can you throw in a game or two?"

No I can't, I'm not a pawnshop. I appreciate the business if you would like to buy more items but I am not authorized to offer deals or otherwise cut prices, prices changes come from corporate head office.

If they want to go somewhere else fine, but they wouldn't find deals anywhere else either, at least on new items.

Comment

Can one of you guys send me a 360? I'll even pay shipping.
      Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Sorry KN, got no money to get one for you. Can you order from the FutureShop Website? I think they ship to florida.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Oh man I get this too. I sell cell phones, but people have this mentality because some indirect stores will give away accessories with a sale, that EVERYBODY does. "I'm getting this phone, so how about ya throw in a car charger and a leather case?" Dingbat, you are getting the FREE phone. I only give crap away to people who are activating more than one line. It especially gripes my ass when they are upgrading. The carriers already pay us close to nada on upgrades, we barely make profit. Sometimes if someone is insistant, I'll explain that to them, and they're cool. Those folks I'll generally give a Boss-approved deal (car charger and case at 2 for $15, instead of $25 for charger and $20 for case) but others just don't seem to understand that a business has to make money. That's kinda the point.

UGH freebie people drive me up a wall. I could go on about the dude whose phone was deemed unfixable, so he went rooting in the "Old Cell Phone" donation box (the phones are sent to be refurbished, then donated to a battered women's shelter) for a new free phone for himself. I was in shock. But that wasn't the only freebie this dude tried to get off us. He's another post entirely.
          I may be free from retail, but the nightmares still linger.....

Comment

Quoth Myra View Post
            But that wasn't the only freebie this dude tried to get off us. He's another post entirely.
            We await said post with baited breath.

Quoth Myra View Post
            UGH freebie people drive me up a wall.
            There used to be a bar down here that, in huge letters on their outside wall facing the major thoroughfare had these words:

FREE BEER TOMORROW

And yes, people fell for it. Every. Single. Day.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
            X