Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you can't reach an item on a tall shelf...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is why I'm dating someone who stands a nice, tall 6'4". If I can't reach something he definitely can.

Comment

Quoth sarahj View Post
      PLEASE ask an employee to get it down. Even a short employee can quickly grab a little step thing-y from out the back and reach something up the top. Please ask! We are here to help!
      Except at my store, you never can find a step stool when you need one. They always tend to get hidden by people trying to keep them for themselves.

So instead you have to stand on basedecks or climb shelving in the backroom. Haven't had an accident yet, knock on wood.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I must admit that I very occasionally use the bottom shelf as a leg-up to reach the back of the top shelf. But only when absolutely necessary (and that is very rare) and I'm always careful to keep an eye on the shelf's balance. If it started to tip, I'd be ready to get off sharpish.

Then again, I'm an engineer (in computers, admittedly) and my dad was the "tame engineer" in a physics lab. So this kind of thing got instilled at an early age.

Comment

Yeah, I'm 6'2", and about 190 so I get to carry anything heavy, I have to clean alot of stuff most people can't reach even with a step ladder, I burnt my hand on a heat lamp because due to my height I could not see the caution hot sign. And we have a recipt printer that only me and 3 other people can reload with paper because the rest of the employees can't see how to put the paper in it. The sink however was designed for dwarves so I end up with back cramps when i'm on fountain and have to clean all of the containers.
          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!
          What does it mean?
          I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Comment

Being about 6'2" myself, I get asked to get stuff off the high shelves at work on occasion, but more often I get asked to do it for my Mom at home. (She's about ... 5'7"? I'm terrible at estimating these things.)

She's always amazed that I can reach stuff on the top shelves in our kitchen without having to stand on tiptoes.

I'm also the go-to guy in the house for moving heavy stuff. As my Dad always likes to put it, "Yup. Strong back, weak mind."

To which I always reply, "I get them both from you, Dad."
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

We had a lady get hurt when she slipped off the 2nd shelf, trying to trach the back. This was not the regular grocery/dry goods shelves, which can hold a lot of weight, but the wire freezer shelving. The shelf edge bent, sending her falling to the ground. She was not hurt and we never heard a word from her or corp. about the incident, besides the initial e-mail, "We have received report number 12345679, regarding a SLIP/FALL in STORE #000 on DATE. Should you have contact with the customer, <insert legal stuff here>. "

Comment

Working...
              X