This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa troubles

I was working on the customer service desk one morning when i get a call about 5 minutes after we open at 8am, it was this frantic women looking for her credit card, claiming that i had stolen it. (i never even worked the day before). What happened was she was too stupid to remember to take it after the cashier gave it back to her. So i inform her that we do have the card at the service desk and that she would need a photo id to pick it up.

About 4 hours later i get this lady running over to me and interrupting me while I'm trying to do a return saying i stole her visa and she wants it N.O.W. So i tell her she has to wait until I'm finished with another customer, which doesn't go over well. Finally it's her turn, so i ask if she has any id to pick up the visa. Which of course she none. When i tell her it's company policy that i can't releases the card unless there is photo id to prove that she is the owner of the card. This is when she starts to get REALLY mad and calling me every name under the sun, and demands a manager, who does agree with me, no id no visa. Next thing i know the lady had grabbed the store phone from me and said she was going to call the police. Luckily by this time another manager had shown up and he was able to handle her.

But seriously why would she think i could just hand over a credit card to her, not having any clue who she was or even if she was the owner of the card.

Btw the second manager gave her back the card with no id (i hate when management gives into sucky customers and goes against store policy it makes them think all they have to do is yell like a brat and they will get what they want)

Too bad, in a way, that she didn't get the opportunity to call the police. Could have made an ass out of herself in front of them, and then been given a stern lecture of how they couldn't force the store to give her the card without proper I.D. and she needed to abide by store policy, and how she had wasted their time. Then she'd have to leave the store minus the card.

Would have been even funnier, if she happened to have some warrants out, the cops somehow recognized her, and they haul her sorry ass in!

Mike
    Meow.........

Comment

when people left cards on the counter after the cashier had handed it back to them, they had until the end of the business day

then they were cut up (on the banks orders no less)

haha no one appriceated our "attempt" to keep them safe from theift....gee wonder why
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Cole View Post
        Btw the second manager gave her back the card with no id (i hate when management gives into sucky customers and goes against store policy it makes them think all they have to do is yell like a brat and they will get what they want)
        I suggest you report this flagrant violation of company policy (not to mention leaving the company wide open for a lawsuit if it turned out that really wasn't the lady's card) to your DM.
        "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
        "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
        My MySpace
        My LiveJournal

Comment

Slightly OT, but I remember one Black Friday (about 3 years ago) some woman left her credit card behind. We had a ton of new employees and I really didn't trust any of them to handle it properly, so I slipped it into my pocket intending to take care of the situation when I had a moment to spare-which, of course, didn't happen until well after my shift when I got home and realized it was still in my pocket.

I was nice enough to go back to the store, look in the phone book, and track down the owner, and call them to pick up their card. (I made her ID the type of card it was and what the number was before I told her where to come to get it back).

And let me tell you, she made me regret ever making that phone call. No good deed goes unpunished.

She *told* me to meet her out near her home, which was located about 45 minutes out of my way, and got pissed when I said no and hinted that I had stolen her card in the first place. PLEASE. If I stole it, why would I be going to so much trouble to get it back to her? And so quickly after her dumb ass had lost it in the first place?

She then whined that she was tired, she didn't want to go back to the mall because of the holiday crowds, and bitched when I said "Forget it, I'll just mail it to you!" because I was "putting her card at risk of being stolen again." (Again?!?)

I finally said "FORGET it, you ungrateful bitch! I should have just left it on the damned counter where your dumb ass left it in the first place! Your card will be at the mall security booth in five minutes-deal with it yourself!" and hung up.

What the hell is wrong with people?!?
          "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

That is exactly the reason I am sooooo glad we don't even have to touch a customers credit card. They are supposed to swipe it themselves. Sometimes they just shove it at me and I gasp and take a step back like they are shoving a turd at me. No way do I want to touch it. I'll scan peoples club card for them and even then, I get accused of not giving it back.
            WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

I've lost track of the number of people who come through the drive thru and hand me their card, and I slip it between the sheets of the info flier stapled to their baggie o' pills along with their reciept, make sure the card gets into the car fine without slipping out onto the ground, and who then proceed to call me later and claim that *I* "lost" their card.

Usually after I inform them where it was placed (prominently, I might add, I put it in front of the reciept and sticking out 1/3 to 1/2 way out), they usually find it on the floor or under their carseat where they dropped it

It is still annoying to me that their first reaction is always to think that I or my other techs, in a fit of malfeasance, hung onto their precious credit card.

I've also lost track of the number of women who let their credit cards be loose in their purses, instead of having a specific slot for it in their wallets like I do. Maybe I'm just more anal that way, but I like to know EXACTLY where those cards are.

Comment

Quoth Cole View Post
                What happened was she was too stupid to remember to take it after the cashier gave it back to her.
                Oh man, I did something like that once a few years ago.

I was still finishing my basement, and stopped by Lowes for a few supplies. I went to pay with my credit card, and it was not in my wallet. The cashier seemed understanding, but the guy in line behind me got all pissy -- rolling his eyes, huffing, shuffling his feet -- the whole nine yards. The cashier voided out my order and had someone put my stuff aside, while I frantically tried to remember where and when was the last time I used it.

I thought back to the day before, when I stopped by the used CD store. I bought a few discs, paid with my card, they gave it back -- no problem. But I had a card for a free disc, which they forgot to ring it, so I gave them my card again so they could refund one of the discs. And after that, I didn't remember getting it back. Either they forgot to give it to me, or I forgot to take it. Who knows?

I hauled ass back there, and sure enough, they still had it behind the counter. I retrieved it and went back to Lowes so I could get the stuff I intended to buy.

I didn't think my card had been used for anything bad while it was out of my hands, but just to be safe, I went online and checked my account as soon as I got home.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Now I remember why I prefer to pay with cash.

(I have a tendency to be forgetful sometimes...I think...)
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

If I can't find my card and I've looked everywhere I believe it could be (which usually takes no more than a couple of hours tops, I would call my CC company and report the card stolen. No reason to take chances.

Oddly, where I work we have more debit cards left behind than credit cards.

Comment

I had a similar problem way back at Nordbum. This woman claimed I had her American Express card. That I stole it.

The frikkin' topper was that she was a known, regular thief, who was on our special alert list. I had not directly challenged her on a return the night before. I just noted when she wanted to return two expensive robes, exactly the same, including the size (easiest to pull off our colored and sized racks), that it was odd that she'd gotten both of them for gifts.

When questioned later, I remembered placing the card on the counter, because she was busy with her handbag, and I remembered her quickly grabbing the card (her accomplice was in the back, stealing stuff off another rack), realizing that I knew she was a thief and in a hurry to get out. She must have thrown it in her bag, then lost it somewhere on her way home.

My belief is that the ones who accuse you of stealing are either thieves or have regularly considered theft as a possibility.
                      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                      HR believes the first person in the door
                      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                      Document everything
                      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Cole View Post

*BOOM* oops, sorry, that was my head exploding! Excuse me while I clean up the mess...

I loathe when management does something that is in direct contrast to the store policy that the employee is trying to follow - WHY EVEN HAVE A FREAKIN' POLICY!

*BOOM* shoot, there goes the other lobe.
                        "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

I work in the back office where we keep the money. It's a secured area so we are also responsible for lost/left behind credit cards in our store. Our policy too, is that if a card gets left behind the cashier is to immediately send it back to us (though sometimes they don't, they just put it in their till and send it up at the end of the day)

I had this old guy call up because he had left his credit card at our store (his words). We checked but didn't have it in the office.

old guy: Can you just check the register where I was and see if they have it?

me: I'm sorry sir, but we move our cashiers around. If have your receipt and can tell us the cashier ID we can ask. (keep in mind we have about 25 cashiers on duty that day and weren't about to ask every single one if they had a lost credit card, plus several had gone home for the day and their tills were untouchable until the next day.)

OG: I don't have my receipt. And your head cashier told me you guys would have my card if I lost it.

me: Normally we do, but sometimes the cashiers leave it in their cash drawer. You're welcome to call back in the morning when we go through their tills. We should find it by then.

OG: (spluttering) BUT THAT'S TOO LATE! Someone might use my card! I've already contacted several other stores and they haven't seen it either!

me: (wait, you said you "left" it at our store?) Yes sir, fraud is a possibility. Since we don't have it you may want to consider contacting your credit card company.

Rinse, lather, repeat about 3 times. After the third time he makes some statement about how since we're being soooo unhelpful he's going to just have to contact his credit card company and report the card lost. He then hangs up completely pissed at us for losing his card.
                          My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Working...
                          X