This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But i'm (insert nationality here)

:: DISCLAIMER::This is not a post against any one specific nationality :::::

A Whiskey Tango Fox-trot moment... This one is short and sweet.

SD: (sucky dealer) Ok We'll just call that in tomorrow then.

Me: We won't be open tomorrow sir.

SD: What?!?! How am I supposed to do activations tomorrow?

Me: It's a national holiday tomorrow sir.

SD: But I'm (insert non US nationality here). And the owners of (the company I work for) are (insert same nationality).

Me: But they still choose to observe the Holiday sir.

SD: Well I'm gonna call (the VP of the company) to ask him about that.

Me: Knock yourself out sir....

SD: *click*

I mean don't get me wrong here. I realize not everyone in the country will celebrate the holiday, but yeesh.
    Last edited by Chanlin; 07-03-2008, 11:41 PM.

My first thought on reading the title was "Either they think drinking/smoking/whatever laws don't apply to them, or they think that closings due to the 4th don't apply."
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

In retrospect i suppose its not as surprising as I first made it out to be, but its the first time I've ever encountered such logic. I had to bit my tongue to keep myself from sarcastically going "And...."

Comment

Nahh, it's pretty stupid. Were I to move to another country, I would assume that national holidays there still applied. 'Cause, y'know, most people living there are from (gasp!) that country.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

When you're in a country, expect that country to have its own holidays. Heck, the US embassy in Manila follows BOTH sets of holidays. Lucky gits!

* rant mode on *

Hint to travellers: when you're in another country, IT'S NOT THE FRACKING UNITED STATES. That's right you shining examples of Ugly American Tourists. You're NOT in the US anymore. You are in the Philippines (in my particular case). So, STFU about how things should be done and just accept that this is how they are done here.

* rant mode off *
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Marasbaras I couldn't agree with you more. I've never been out of the country but damn sure if I ever do (I'd like to see Germany or maybe Japan some day) I intend to at least be a good guest unlike so many of my fellow countrymen that give the rest of us a bad name.

For what its worth I'm sorry for the idiots that ruin things for those of us that have manners.

Comment

Living in the rural Philippines, I sometimes see some of the worst we have to offer. It's sad. These jerks seem to think that just because the people working are poor that the Americans have the right to be SCs.
              "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
                For what its worth I'm sorry for the idiots that ruin things for those of us that have manners.
                New Zealand is a beautiful country, attracting many tourists and working holidayers from all over the world. In my experiences, Americans come in two flavours.

1 - Typical brash, camera-weilding, rather obnoxious souls who are stunned things aren't exactly the same as home and complain bitterly about it (if you liked home so much why are you here?). The ones that give the rest of you the bad name.

2 - Salt of the earth, friendly, cope-with-anything, willing to DO anything, outgoing and fun people. These Yanks are friendly to EVERYONE and have an awesome time doing absolutely anything.

I don't know why you only seem to come in these two flavours. I guess there are more moderate ones, they just don't stand out. But yeah, Americans do seem to be either the 'typical tourist' type or just really great people, nothing in between.

It is my firm hope that the second type outnumber the first. Surveys have not been done. I remain firm in the conviction that it must be true, because if it's not ... I weep.

Comment

Ah yes. I find the differences between countries amazing and fascinating. I reserve the right to be confused if something doesn't work the way I'mused to it working- but after that initial confusion I'm going to love the fact it's different. AFter all, that's why I go on holiday.... It's cause it's DIFFERENT.
                  Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

On a somewhat related note, if any of you American fellows want to drop by this side of the pond, keep in mind that our Blowing Stuff Up and Barbecue Day is ten days after yours.
                    "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

If it's a NATIONAL holiday, and you LIVE in the nation, then the holiday DOES apply to you. It's a stat. If you work on that day, legally you should be getting at least time and a half, or is it double time? (unless they give you an extra day off).

As for the American thing... I used to see a lot of Americans. I lived right on the border, so we'd get a lot in at Tim Hortons. And I always found them to be the most rude people.
                      "You're not gone five minutes, Agent Scully, and I'm already starting to feel like a stranger in my own office-"
                      -Agent Doggett

Comment

Quoth Kogo Shuko View Post
                        If it's a NATIONAL holiday, and you LIVE in the nation, then the holiday DOES apply to you. It's a stat. If you work on that day, legally you should be getting at least time and a half, or is it double time? (unless they give you an extra day off).
                        Nope, legally, you get minimum wage, unless it's over 40 hours for the week, then it's time and a half, unless you're exempt salary, then you're screwed.
                        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Around here, you have a bonus if you work over hours, on sundays and holidays, and at night.

At some jobs, if you work overhours on a sunday night, you can get up to 3 times your hourly wage.
                          "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Perhaps it depends on the country.

When my brother worked at Wal-Mart (in Canada), he got paid time and a half to work a stat.

When I worked Canada Day last year, Tim Hortons HAD to give me an extra day off for it, otherwise they would have to pay me more.

Tis the whole point of a statutory holiday, no?
                            "You're not gone five minutes, Agent Scully, and I'm already starting to feel like a stranger in my own office-"
                            -Agent Doggett

Comment

most American tourists here have been nice, a bit odd... but pretty nice, so the typical demanding ones ain't that typical really

but traveling as a tourist TO America, i've heard is a bit strange XD

i mean... being asked by an American, with a straight face, looking into your eyes, and meaning this completely honestly "do y'all got Internet in Norway?"

kinda makes ya scratch your head, and wonder if they learn anything about the world outside of the US at their schools.
                              Rawr

Comment

Working...
                              X