This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    So I am going to enjoy your country's Scotch, sir (ma'am?). But stop stomping on New Mexico. It's a lovely place. And besides, making fun of it is the job of all of us Zonies!
    Hehe, I've been in NM twice. Sure, it is pretty desolate, but the northern section is actually green in places. Not as green as, oh, Pennsylvania...but it's still green. Still has a desert climate though. Other than Raton, Cimmaron and Philmont Scout Ranch, I really don't have much experience traveling around NM, other than the scenery is freaking awesome

Still, before I went, I at least learned a bit about the area--its Spanish influence, what brought people to the area (copper and gold), etc. Interesting stuff, IMHO. I didn't want to look like the ignorant tourist we all complain about here
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

What our tour guide was astonished at had absolutely nothing to do with population....she had no idea just how big New Mexico was areawise.

Quoth Jester View Post
      The woman was displaying her ignornace not by asking about the milk in the bag so much as if they had refrigeration, which is, in fact, ignorant.
      See, I didn't see it that way, because there is some non-refrigerated, shelf-stable milk out there.

Quoth Jester View Post
      And far be it from me to stop anyone from making fun of New Mexico (which I often refer to as "a poor man's Arizona").
      Watch it buster!

Quoth Jester View Post
      But I have to step up for my Southwestern brethren here. Can it be much longer before people start looking elsewhere for their new home? Say, Albuquerque? Santa Fe? Las Cruces?
      As a native New Mexican, thank you Jester.

Santa Fe is the longest, continuous capital in the US, since 1609 (which makes it as old as Jamestown).

Albuquerque is the 25th fastest growing city in the country. And you wanna talk technology? The world's fastest computer, "Roadrunner" is at Los Alamos National Labs (Manhattan Project anyone?). Not to mention all of the missile system testing that goes on at White Sands Missile Range. Which is not too far from Spaceport America (yes, it's not much now, but give us time).

The Columbia landed at White Sands Space Harbor in 1982 and is still the Primary AOA on many launches.

On less technological note, if it wasn't for Las Cruces and NMSU, there wouldn't be all of the chile varieties that we have now. There's also a lot of development of agriculture for arid lands that goes on at NMSU. Also has one of the country's top Engineering schools. I could go on, but I digress. (If you couldn't tell, I'm an Aggie!)

Quoth protege View Post
      Hehe, I've been in NM twice. Sure, it is pretty desolate, but the northern section is actually green in places. Not as green as, oh, Pennsylvania...but it's still green. Still has a desert climate though. Other than Raton, Cimmaron and Philmont Scout Ranch, I really don't have much experience traveling around NM, other than the scenery is freaking awesome

Still, before I went, I at least learned a bit about the area--its Spanish influence, what brought people to the area (copper and gold), etc. Interesting stuff, IMHO. I didn't want to look like the ignorant tourist we all complain about here
      You didn't look over the Native American part of our tri-culture did you? Try being an Anglo (even though I don't have an Angle blood in me) native New Mexican. The comments I've gotten from ignorant tourists....I could write a book.

It's not desolate! There's green all over, it's just not the overwhelming, suffocating green that you get in other parts....when it's not on fire. >.>

Yes, it might not have that large of a population, but New Mexico is a beautiful state with an incredible history. There's a reason that our license plates say "Land of Enchantment". I'm going to miss it a lot when I move to Scotland.
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

The company might not be based in the US but they may have employees who ARE. Those employees may be pissed off if the boss says, "Well we don't support this holiday so *cracks whip*, you work NOW." So it's likely to be easier to just give them the day off instead of fighting unhappy people.

And they may also realize "well not much is going to get done today anyway, so let's take a break and have a holiday too." I mean really, who'd be mad about getting a day off from work?

And, if they're located in the US, they might also be taking into mind that driving conditions could be sucky for the holiday.

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
          On a somewhat related note, if any of you American fellows want to drop by this side of the pond, keep in mind that our Blowing Stuff Up and Barbecue Day is ten days after yours.
          Indeed it is, and I've been invited to a celebration the evening before by a local French social club my wife is a member of. I have also been told I will be taking my cheese puffs (Gougere Bourguignonne) since no one in the group seems to be able to make them as well as I do. They thought I had sabotaged the receipt until one member watched me make them one time, and verified that the recipe was correct.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
            It's not desolate! There's green all over, it's just not the overwhelming, suffocating green that you get in other parts....
            Gotta side with my friend from the Poor Man's Arizona (aka New Mexico, or whatever they're calling it this week)....desert flora is not the same as the stuff most people think of as greenery, but it IS there, and it IS beautiful. It's just different. I challenge any of you to go to the Phoenix Desert Botanical Gardens and not be blown away.

Yes, from an airplane it looks like a big ole thing of kitty litter. It is not lush, and it is not all green. But the difference is what makes it great. Cactus flowers are among the most beautiful in the world, and cactus juice has more uses than most of you can possibly imagine. Having had Prickly Pear Margaritas, I have to tell you....the stuff rocks. (What?!?!? Naturally I am going to point out the use of it that *I* like the most!)

The desert may not be for everyone, but it does rock, and it is NOT just a barren wasteland of dust and dirt, as many people seem to think.

And considering that the three fastest growing metropolitan areas in the U.S. are all desert cities, Pagan and I are not alone in our appreciation of the desert.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
              And dumb tourists? We get them too here in the states. Ever try watching someone eat a steamed crab that never has before? Yeah. My aunt watched people use the mallet to crack the shell then pull out what they could. They were eating lung, etc. All the stuff you're not supposed to be eating.
              That reminds me of an experience my wife had before we met. She was in college and had a date with a guy to go to a crab feast. He figured he was going to gross her out with all the steamed crab mess. He went off to get some beers for them, and when he returned, she was up to her elbows in crabs showing everyone else how to eat them. He was dumbfounded. He didn't realize she was born and raised in Baltimore, Maryland, (crab central) and had been eating crabs since an infant.

All the talk about New Mexico reminds me of the time I was driving through the wide open and empty spaces of the desert in New Mexico. The sun set, and we were driving in the dark. All around the horizon were lights from houses. It was a sight to see.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                All the talk about New Mexico reminds me of the time I was driving through the wide open and empty spaces of the desert in New Mexico. The sun set, and we were driving in the dark. All around the horizon were lights from houses. It was a sight to see.
                There's nothing as gorgeous as our sunsets....especially with the thunderstorms around right now. I'm really going to miss that when I move across the pond.

There's nothing better that coming into Las Cruces from the west (especially after driving between Lordsburg and Deming, one of the most boring stretches of road) and having the Mesilla Valley open up and see the lights of Las Cruces.

Another welcome sight was coming to land at the Sunport coming back from the UK. Tire and jetlagged (we had been up since 3am in Dublin and it was 9pm in ABQ), looking our the window, seeing the lights of Albuquerque. But the best was when we crossed the Rio Grande and I-25 on the approach. Had a great trip, but it was nice to be home (well, Albuquerque anyway!).
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                  Indeed it is, and I've been invited to a celebration the evening before by a local French social club my wife is a member of. I have also been told I will be taking my cheese puffs (Gougere Bourguignonne) since no one in the group seems to be able to make them as well as I do. They thought I had sabotaged the receipt until one member watched me make them one time, and verified that the recipe was correct.
                  Update: We went to the Bastille Day party Sunday evening, but were 2½ hours late because of a commitment my wife had. I made a double batch of the cheese puffs. As soon as we walked in, the hostess took the container with the cheese puffs from my hands and announced that the gougere had arrived. She made a round of all the guests, and I was lucky to get one when she came back.

Comment

I get a lot of stupid questions when people find out I'm from South Dakota. These questions are from fellow Americans.

I was asked why I didn't have a southern accent. This made me want to smack the person with a map of the United States.

I have been asked if we had paved roads.

If we have running water.

If we still fight the Indians and/or worry about Indian raids.

If I get confused by all the advancement that PA has over South Dakota. This made me laugh, since compared to where I am from, PA is the backwards state. I just point out that back home I can go to the grocery store and get a bottle of wine with my groceries, instead of running all over heck to find the separate store that sells it.

I'm asked if we are behind in educations. My high school boyfriend is an honored physicist who dated me because he admired my intelligence. Yup, we sure are stupid!

I get told I have an accent a lot, which I don't think I do, but even my husband says I have one and that it gets stronger the madder I get.
                    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
                      If I get confused by all the advancement that PA has over South Dakota.
                      Would this be Philly? I have a friend from Philly - apparently that's where all the gold and ambrosia in the world is.
                      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I have to wonder about the people from Philly who seem to think the world revolves around it.

Sure, there is a lot of remarkable history there and trust me I made sure to see all the historical things that are there, but Philly is not heaven on earth. Don't tell them that though, they get all kinds of pissed off.

Comment

If you REALLY want to piss off someone from Philly, tell them you got a Philly Cheesesteak at Subway. You can literally see the steam coming out of the ears.
                          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                            If you REALLY want to piss off someone from Philly, tell them you got a Philly Cheesesteak at Subway. You can literally see the steam coming out of the ears.
                            People from Philly are crazy. Especially Philly sports fans. A friend of mine went to a Redskins/Eagles game at FedexField and got punched in the head by some Eagles fan.
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
                              I was asked why I didn't have a southern accent. This made me want to smack the person with a map of the United States.
                              Actually, you'd have had to smack me upside the head with a map of the USA, because I thought Dakota were somewhere around Nevada and Arizona.

Then again, I'm French and I managed to mistake Angoulême for Grenoble, so I guess I'm a lost cause to Geography.
                              "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

AdminAssistant, the Philly cheesesteak thing is often debated around the office where I work. I don't like Philly cheesesteak so I stay out of it.

Samaliel, I wasn't talking about people who don't live in the United States. I was talking about people who are born here and should have found out by 3rd grade where the different states are.

People from other countries get a pass on the smacking.

Comment

Working...
                                X