This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want your name man.

This happend to me a few weeks ago, the "I WANT YOUR NAME" guy visits my arena. We give receipts to people who come in too early and want to get something to eat without paying again.

I was a cashier for the women's basketball game and it was a slow day. Most of the people arrived late for the game like always. Other than the people thinking they were at the right place for a concert which they weren't things were fine until this so-called "gentleman" showed up.

"Hello, welcome to the Arena, it is $10 to park."

"Uh, I had a receipt and it's in my other car, I was here earlier today."

(Oh boy, here we go.) "I'm sorry but you have to pay $10 unless you have the receipt."

"I was here EARLIER!!!"

(I've been out here all day, I would've recognized you.)
    "Well unless you have a receipt or $10 I'm not allowed to let you pass."

"Listen IhatetheNBA68, I do not need this *BEEP*. Where's your supervisor?

"He's helping someone out right now."

"Okay then, can I get your last name?"

"I don't give out my last name sir."

"I just want your last name. I'm not going to stalk you."

"Don't worry, they know who's out here."

"I just want your last name, that's all I ask."

"Nope. I'm not divulging my last name."

"All right then IhatetheNBA68."

My supervisor heard the whole thing and he said he'd vouch for me if I got into trouble. Haven't heard anything from him.
    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Quoth ihatethenba68 View Post
    "I just want your last name. I'm not going to stalk you."
    Why didn't you trust him? If he was going to stalk you, he would have told you, right?
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Too bad you can't ask for the customer's last name . . .

Plus, what kind of damage will he do with your last name? Add you to his mailing list? Seriously, he claimed he was there earlier . . . in a different car . . . and he thought he didn't need his reciept? A reciept isn't a token of appreciation there buddy . . .
      This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

I can't remember if I posted this story on this board or the last board...

I was talking with an irate caller... all of a sudden, he started sounding like Hannibal Lecter

Caller: I need your name.
        Me: T.
        Caller: Your last name?
        Me: Um... no. I'm the only T here.
        Caller: T, I need your last name.
        Me: Um, no.
        Caller: T, I really need your last name.

A couple of things bothered me. One, the caller's tone of voice. Two, and maybe worse, he only lived a couple of blocks from me.

It's only cable, dude.
        I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
          Plus, what kind of damage will he do with your last name? Add you to his mailing list?
          With his full name, the SC could look him up in the phone book, find his address and phone number and make his life a living hell. Stalker city. It has happened before.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post
            Me: Um, no.

A couple of things bothered me. One, the caller's tone of voice. Two, and maybe worse, he only lived a couple of blocks from me.
            Hello, Clarice. Seriously, that was creeping me out just reading it. I could totally imagine it in Lecter's voice.

Comment

There is never any reason for them to need anything other than "sufficient to identify you". Employee ID number, first name, location working, etc can all be sufficient to identify you should they wish to make a complaint. Anybody demanding more information than that should immediately be suspected - after all, they already have everything they need to lay a complaint. If they're not after laying a complaint (since they "need" more info), then what are they going to do?

Comment

Doesn't matter what kind of damage he can or can't do. He said no, he's not giving out his last name. He has a right to keep that to himself.

I don't give mine out, either. There's only two of my last name in the book here, and the other one's my parents. I'm WAAAAY to easy to look up. People are lucky if I give them my real first name.

Comment

especially in todays society, no way, no how! some of the things I've seen and heard, if my boss or company required it they'd be looking for a new employee faster than you can say "John Doe"
                  "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post

It's only cable, dude.
                    That's our slogan too, it's ONLY cable. These ppl think they can just throw themselves around and STILL we'll bend over backwards b/c they're just SO powerful. Whatever.
                    The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

There is no reason for a customer to require your last name, if they have an issue with you they can speak to a manager/supervisor who knows who you are, even if multiple employees have the same name, it's probably not too difficult to figure out who was doing what when.

Like Kinkoid, I too have a very uncommon last name, there are I believe less than 50 other people in this COUNTRY (Canada) who have my last name.

So you can be damned sure I won't be giving it to some snotty customer.

Comment

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father prepare to die."

Rinse and repeat.
                        "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Love that movie. On a related note:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0348.html
                          You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
                            Like Kinkoid, I too have a very uncommon last name, there are I believe less than 50 other people in this COUNTRY (Canada) who have my last name.
                            You'ld think that... I have an unusual (and incredibly rare) first name, and an unusual last name-- but I managed to find that someone who served in WWII had matched both.

Granted, the guy was born in something like 1917, but I'm fairly certain that my parents had no idea he existed.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                              People are lucky if I give them my real first name.
                              I have an alternate nametag at work. I should try to get a few more. (Considering that I have a common first name, yet I'm the ONLY person with my first name in the whole 400+ employee store... )
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X