This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great way to kill your kid!

This is from quite a few months ago (think winter time), but just hearing about alot of sucky parents made me want to jump on hte bandwagon and tell this story.

As I said earlier, it was wintertime and SNOWING. There was ice on the roads and snow covering it. This is the type of weather I learned to drive, but I still wouldn't like to drive myself around this, let alone other people. I was working drive thru. This woman, with her young child in the FRONT SEAT pulls up ON HER CELLPHONE.

Ok. One, your young child (I would guess around the age of four) should NOT be in the front seat,even with a booster seat (which this child was not even in). Two, you should NOT be on your cellphone in this type of weather. After she receives her order,she speeds off.

I may not be a parent, but common sense tells us when a child should be in a booster seat, when it is appropriate to have them in the front seat, and that during dangerous weather when people who are going under the speed limit with both hands on the steering wheel lose control and die in a crash, you should not be on the phone, one hand on the wheel.

I wish I could have been able to say something, but I know it is not my place (regardless of my age or if I'm a parent) to tell another person how to take care of their kid. It just saddens me that these children are basically put in danger because mommy or daddy (usually moms. Not trying to be sexist. It's just what I am observing) MUST talk on the phone while driving in wintery hell instead of telling that person they will call them right back.

To any parent in this forum, was I justified in wanting to tell her off and wanting to steal that precious baby girl away so she wouldn't get hurt on the way home?
    "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

You were entirely justified in telling her off. There is not a single state in the US where it isn't illegal to lack a child safety seat.

When I worked where I could see into peoples vehicles, I always kept a pen and paper next to me. When I saw something like that (one of my biggest peeves even BEFORE I had kids), I'd write down a description, plate number, and call the police. At least then, if they spot him/her driving down the road, they get pulled over, and kid gets taken out of the car until they can get a seat together.
    Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.'

Comment

IMO, yes, you were justified. I probably would have said something. I have a 2-year-old, and I could not IMAGINE doing that.
      MySpace

Comment

I didn't tell her off, but now not a day goes by where I wish I had. I wonder if they even made it home ok.
        "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

Comment

I would of called the Police. That's child endangerment right there!

Poor kid!

Comment

I called the Police on a driver, on their phone, doing down the highway with their child standing up on the back seat, leaning out the open window.

I called 911 and tried to follow them a few car lengths back to get a really good description but Was only able to get the plate and color. I was going about 80 just to try to see the plate.

Comment

I can understand the frustration. Just yesterday I watched an SUV speed by the Huddle House (I was there with Mum and Dad) with a kid hanging out the back seat window holding open a big plastic bag from Wal-mart. I asked my Mum was the flying fuck that was about and she said she didn't know. She hoped that one of the local cops caught them but it would more than likely have been a State Trooper (our cops are still dealing drugs around here and so the State brought in the ST to do their job).
              Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth McGoddess09 View Post
                I wish I could have been able to say something, but I know it is not my place (regardless of my age or if I'm a parent) to tell another person how to take care of their kid.
                I think this mindset stems from overprotective morons screaming bloody murder and stuff like, "How DARE you tell me how to take care of my child!"

I'm of the opinion that these fucktards should have everyone telling them how big of a fucktard they are. Maybe after the 97th person says it, they'll learn something. Probably not.
                Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

A child can legally ride in the front seat of a vehicle as long as the proper restraints are used (child seat or booster seat) AND the air bag is turned off. At least in the state of Texas. The only real danger to a child in the front seat is an airbag.

I drive a pickup truck that does not have a back seat and my two year old son sits up front in a child seat, with the passenger side airbag turned off.

That said, people should use child/booster seats and never drive while talking on a cell phone, regardless of weather conditions.

Comment

Off topic a little, but I was wondering what an appropriate age/weight/height would be appropriate for a kid to sit in the front with the airbag on and with only the normal seatbelt?

Comment

I know that 4 foot something is the height for getting out of a booster seat. Weight...I think over 90 pounds. Age...I have no clue. I could be wrong on some of this, unless it is just something in IL.

Comment

Quoth Apallo View Post
                        Off topic a little, but I was wondering what an appropriate age/weight/height would be appropriate for a kid to sit in the front with the airbag on and with only the normal seatbelt?
                        i don't know height weight etc, but I know my mother's rule was that I had the back seat until I was large enough that without adjustment the shoulder belt would land on the shoulder with me sitting in the CENTER of the seat... that way the belt would safely restrain me and she figured by that time I could safely handle an airbag... and being in a wreck sucks... nothing quite as fun as being thrown into a belt at 50mph... I know how much damage that did to me when I was 17, I am terrified to know what that would have done to a 7 year old.
                        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

A child without a booster seat, especially in the front seat, is not a child, it's a projectile. ><

Natural selection is suppose to take these people out before they can breed. Stupid emergency rooms, safety helmets and warning labels.

Comment

Working...
                          X