This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Canarr View Post
    Seanette, I'm guessing from your name that you're a woman - if not, feel free to slap me.

Talking to lonely kids is a great idea in principal - I have a female friend who does it any time she senses even the tiniest possibility of trouble - but as a man, I won't do it. Just too many unpleasant connections to that. I'll keep an eye out to see if there's any danger of accident, or alert an employee of whatever place I happen to be, but I'm not going to approach an unknown child somewhere.
    Yes, I'm a woman, and my husband would have the same qualms you would about approaching unknown kids. For that matter, if he stops to check on a breakdown by the side of the road, I'm usually the one to walk up to the driver, since I'm less likely to unnerve a female driver.

Sorry mess of a society we have that "unfamiliar male" automatically equals "scary threatening danger".
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
      I don't get it! How do parents think kids get abducted????? ...No, I don't have children, so I maybe shouldn't be on such a soap box - but, to me, that makes no f***ing difference!
      Parent or not, you are absolutely right. Children should not be left on their own in a store or other public place. You don't know who is in the store, and you don't realize how quickly your child can be taken away, forever.

I am a parent, and I do not take my job lightly. My son is four, fast as lightning and does not comprehend how dangerous the world is yet. I know darn well that I have to keep an eye on him. I get panicked when he steps behind me and I can't see him! "SON! WHERE ARE...oh, there you are."

These parents who just abandon their children to play in the toy store, arcade, or wherever so they can go shopping elsewhere, what the hell are they thinking?! Of course, they'll be the first to scream about the state of the world when their child goes missing.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
        Sorry mess of a society we have that "unfamiliar male" automatically equals "scary threatening danger".
        Definitely, yes. Personally, I believe the danger isn't nearly as great as it's often made out to be, but I guess you can't blame people for being careful.

Still, even disregarding the level of danger from predators, children still shouldn't be left unattended in places packed with people and dangerous or breakable things. Children are easily capable of getting themselves in trouble, they don't really need a malicious adult for that.
        You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Working...
        X