This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You gotta love common sense...

Well some of these weren't really SCs (Some can kinda be considered Brain burps I guess) they just made the day sucky. I was on overnights for the third week in a row (so much for rotation huh?) and the following happened...

Uh it doesn't work like that

This guy comes up to UScan with a case of beer. He stands there a while unsure of what to do. I watch trying to figure out what was wrong. He pressed the start button, but wouldn't scan the beer. Odd. Then he pushes the Alt. ID button (It's so you can enter your Phone # for the Kroger+ card thing) and he enters a number. I think ok he's just trying to enter his card no biggie, and I go and help other customers. Then he calls me over.

He had been trying to enter his DL number so the machine would know he was old enough I told him to go ahead and scan it and I have to check ID.

Seriously when have you ever had to enter a DL number for beer? Yeah I'm sure people would love it if a grocery store can look up your Driver's License. And I'm sure the TABC has never required a PERSON to check the id. Normally I would understand a customer being unsure of how the process at SCO works with age required items. But still he's the only one that has ever tried entering in the information himself (after all we trust the customers to be honest right? )

Brandless

So a couple of guys come in and head for the register that has the cigarettes. Now you'd think people by now would realise that when that register is closed we can still sell them cigs. After all we have legs, we can walk over there and grab some for you. But none seem to think this and often people will stand there expecting either someone to be there (which there isn't) or expect someone to appear there. Then they whistle and yell for me to come over there. No sorry come wait in line like everyone else. Usually it ends there but not this time.

Me: What can I get ya?
    SC: I need some Cigarettes.
    Me: (No shit sherlock, Oh and for the record you don't need you want)
    Me: What can I get ya?
    SC: Some cigarettes.
    Me: (sigh) What kind?
    SC: 3 Menthol Milds.
    Me: What kind?
    SC: 3 menthol milds.
    Me: Marlboro?
    SC: 3 Menthol Milds.
    Me: (Do I hear an echo? so I grab 3 MALBORO menthol Milds)
    Me: These?
    SC: Yes!
    Me: (Finally!)

Um hello I can't read your mind and automatically now what you want. There are other brands you know. You do know that right? If not take an Economics course and read up on the section about competition and monopoly's and find out why there will always be a competing brand you numbnucks. Go back to school and stop smoking away all your brain cells.

Side note

And to all people who do get in the line at first don't cut it and head to my station. Wait in the freaking line you asshat. I'll get your cigarettes but even if I wanted to ring you up (which I don't) I can't because guess what the attendant station is not a register. That is why I don't have a number over my station. Instead I'm running 4 at once and I can only ring you up by using one of the four, but I can't access one if someone is using it. You'll have to wait till a register opens up, don't drum your fingers like that, you cut in line, so now I'm going to wait until everyone that was in front of you is done so that I don't multiply the number of SCs at that moment.

Now wait your gods damn turn. jeeze how hard is that.

Follow instructions

Excuse me lady but when the machine informs you in a nice voice as wells as pretty pictures and words on the screen to "please remove all objects or items from the scanner..." then do so. Don't stare/listen to it for 5 minutes wondering what's wrong. Do what it says, it's telling you what to do why are you wondering why it's "not working". I'll help you in a minute but I'm in the middle of helping someone else and you have already been given instructions so just wait a minute and then I'll come over there and repeat what the nice lady in the machine is saying. Of course you won't understand. OK, Look that thing that 'scans' your items is called a 'scanner'. And the limes sitting on the scanner are 'items'. So maybe if we 'remove' the 'items' from the 'scanner' we will succeed in "removing all objects or items from the scanner".

Oh and to top it all off we had a beer run. Guy ran straight past me with two cases of beer. Of course we have it all on tape. You see those black round things all over the store sir. They're called "cameras".

And that was just half a shift. gotta love overnights.

Pfft. Everyone knows "Common sense" is an urban legend.

Go check on Snopes.com, it's in the "Fraud & Scams" section.

Comment

Quoth Golden Phoenix View Post

Go check on Snopes.com, it's in the "Fraud & Scams" section.
      What does it tell about me that I totally tried to look it up ?
      "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth SG15Z View Post
        I was on overnights for the third week in a row (so much for rotation huh?)
        Someone's naive. (j/k)
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

nope it died I have the obituary-posted in jokes(once approved) under "today's obituary"
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
            That i should tell you about this bridge in london i need to sell...

Comment

Quoth SG15Z View Post
              If not take an Economics course and read up on the section about competition and monopoly's and find out why there will always be a competing brand you numbnucks.
              Unless you're the cable or the gas/electric company. (We've only got a selection of one each around here and it's been that way as long as I can remember.)

Quoth SG15Z View Post
              Go back to school and stop smoking away all your brain cells.
              You sell those kind of cigarettes?

Quoth Samaliel View Post
              And I've got some beach front here that's available....
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth SG15Z View Post
                Well some of these weren't really SCs (Some can kinda be considered Brain burps I guess) they just made the day sucky. I was on overnights for the third week in a row (so much for rotation huh?) and the following happened...

Uh it doesn't work like that

This guy comes up to UScan with a case of beer. He stands there a while unsure of what to do. I watch trying to figure out what was wrong. He pressed the start button, but wouldn't scan the beer. Odd. Then he pushes the Alt. ID button (It's so you can enter your Phone # for the Kroger+ card thing) and he enters a number. I think ok he's just trying to enter his card no biggie, and I go and help other customers. Then he calls me over.

He had been trying to enter his DL number so the machine would know he was old enough I told him to go ahead and scan it and I have to check ID.

Seriously when have you ever had to enter a DL number for beer? Yeah I'm sure people would love it if a grocery store can look up your Driver's License. And I'm sure the TABC has never required a PERSON to check the id. Normally I would understand a customer being unsure of how the process at SCO works with age required items. But still he's the only one that has ever tried entering in the information himself (after all we trust the customers to be honest right? )
                I guess he was trying to play it safe If anything, he sounds like he had a little too much common sense, if there is such a thing of having too much. It would be nifty if you could enter in or swipe your DL number, scan, then pay. Along the lines of the system scanning/not letting you pay until it reads the magnetic strip on the DL. There are places that do swipe your DL so they can check to see if your ID is legit. That's probably what he was thinking.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                  And I've got some beach front here that's available....
                  Ooh, sounds nice. Unfortunately, I wouldn't have room to store them, and I highly doubt they will fit in my current room. Sorry.

However, if you look up "Common sense" on snopes.com, you do get some results. Most are along the lines of "Common sense should be enough to know this is not true, but..." So I'm going to go with BlaqueKatt. Common Sense existed, but it died some time ago...
                  "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Working...
                  X