Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO! Rent doesn't work that way! (long)

Okay, there is a resident where I am working that has yet to pay her rent. Yesterday the supervisor called her and left a message wanting to know if she was going to pay, or was she going to go to court.

Today I get a call back from the resident.

Me-SuperTemp!
    SC-late payer/dumbass

Me- *spiel*

SC- "Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday, I wanted to let you know I have half of July's rent, but all of August, so I'm going to pay the July half today and then pay all of August on the first and the rest of July on August 15th"

Me- "You realize that in order to avoid eviction the entire amount for July must be paid prior to your court date. Did you get a court date yet?"

SC- "Yeah, it's tomorrow, but if I pay half, and then all of August it'll be okay right? I have $400 toward July and the $709 for August first."

Me- "Any money you pay will automatically go toward the outstanding debt, I'm afraid you cannot specify how much of X dollars goes where when you have an outstanding balance"

SC- "That's what I worked out with M and she said it would be okay."

Me- "I'm pretty sure what you're asking is impossible, but I can call the supervisor and double check for you."

SC- "Call me back at noon, I'm at work right now"

After calling the supervisor she confirmed my suspicion that the woman was indeed mathematically impaired. She has by her own admission $1109, she now owes $969, if she paid the $1109 she has, she would not be evicted, and would have a $140 credit towards August. When she gets her 5 day notice for the remainder, she could sign it, stating she would pay on the 15th and although she would still be charged a late fee, she would not go to court until after that date.

I call SC back, leaving her a message telling her this, and even though I try several times to call her back, she mysteriously doesn't answer her phone.

Finally she calls back, here's the gist:

SC- "But M said that what I want would be fine! *whine*"

Me- M is on vacation, I am here now, and no matter what M did or did not say I have to go by the info I have that was given to me by M's supervisor. If you do not pay the entire $969 today, you will go to court tomorrow."

SC- "But what about August? *whine*"

Me- *patience officially gone* "Ma'am, if you do not pay the full balance for July, TODAY, you will be evicted in court TOMORROW, and you will not HAVE an apartment to pay rent on here in August!"

SC- *huffily* "Fine. I'll drop the money order off tonight for the full amount."

Me- "Will it be here by 6 o'clock?"

SC- *bitchily* "No, I don't get out of work until seven. I'll put it in the drop box."

Me- *all smiles* "Great! As soon as I get in tomorrow morning and verify it's for the correct amount, I'll cancel court, now you have a great day now!"

Any bets on whether or not she pays, and if she does, if it's the full amount?
    "I've never had a heart attack, but it isn't for my son's lack of trying." - Me

Quoth TTAZ View Post
    Part of me wants to say she's just fucked in the head and will pay up now that she's had it hammered into her thick skull in simple words.

The rest of me, an overwhelming majority, is expecting a check for 1/2 the amount owed.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

How does anybody expect that kind of thing to work out ? And why would she want it to work that way ? If you got a debt, there are going to be interests, so the sooner it's cleared, the better for your wallet.
      "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth TTAZ View Post
        *Puts down 5$* I say she doesn't pay at all when she says she does and doesn't make her court date. When she DOES finally show up (2-3 hours late) she pays the 400$ towards July and tries to put down for August, but the Judge is sick of hearing it and evicts her, allowing TTAZ's company to keep the cash owed them.
        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

My brain feels slightly bruised.
          ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

I'm adding 10 in with Horse's idea.

Comment

She reminds me of a former neighbor, who I am still friendly with. She barely makes enough to live on, yet only works about 30 horus a week, so she has AMPLE time to get a second job...but she won't.

So, during one of her many times where she was having financial trouble, she couldn't understand why the finance co wouldn't accept partial payments on her car lease! Say her payment was $250 a month; she thought she could just pay what she was able to, by the due date, and make up the rest next payday. and then didn't get WHY she had to pay late fees, and WHY they were threatening to reposses the car! Um, if you failed to pay $5 of your monthly payment for a period of time, its considered late. Plain and simple.

Comment

I'll put a fiver down on the lady never paying. Period.
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I lay down $10 Aussie saying she won't pay and won't front at Court.
                  Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Comment

$5 on her spending $250 at a bar trying to get a sugar daddy to pay for her, and then not being able to afford the full amount any more.
                    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                    "What IS fun to fight through?"
                    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

If we're not careful we could pay her bill by all betting against her.

Comment

Well, the lady isn't getting our pooled money.

We'll just throw a virtual pizza party with the funds then.
                        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Sound good to me. I want sausage.
                          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Pineapple with Canadian bacon here...

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                              Pineapple with Canadian bacon here...
                              I love you.

Comment

Working...
                              X