This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walk THIS!

So, we've had a slow night here with (for once) no SC's! Amazing. However, we're looking at a situation this next week that reminded me of a wonderful story. The characters in this one really weren't classic SC's, since it was really our fault that they got so pissed...and they did apologize to me, and thank me later on...but it's still a fun story to pass the time.

For those outside the hotel industry, there exists a certain practice amongst most hotel chains of overselling rooms. Basically, reservations sells more rooms than we have available (so if we have 100 rooms, we sell 110) going on the assumption that people will no-show for different reasons. Hotels love no-shows as well, since they charge them 1 night stays, and spend $0, thus making pure profit. However, if too many people show up, we run out of rooms, and have to "walk" guests to other hotels in the area...and sometimes, "in the area" is a bit of a general statement. Now, normally being walked isn't too bad...you get a room still, and you get it for free...and most hotels will give you some other stuff as compensation too, so it's actually pretty nice IMO. However...flash back about a year ago...

The hotel, and city of Denver, is highly oversold...we're hosting a citywide conference, and every hotel in downtown is booked. Solid. Every hotel just outside of downtown is booked too. In fact, every hotel within 20 minutes of us is booked...and every hotel has oversold their rooms, standard practice. However, this group has incentives for its attendees, and every last one of them shows up, which means every hotel in Denver starts scrambling for rooms. On top of that, the most hated companies ever (Expedia.com, hotels.com, etc) did not close their reservations...so MORE people kept reserving for the hotel!!! This puts us in a wonderful situation on the graveyard shift, because now we're left with the following problem: the only hotels we can find with any openings are in Fort Collins and Colorado Springs. For you non-Colorado folks, that means they are roughly 60-90 minutes away. Shit.

Now, I'm a security manager, but on graveyards I become the MOD, which means I get called whenever someone is pissed...and the majority of my conversations during the night consisted of the following:

(SC has already been told that the hotel fucked up, and they have no room...they then ask to speak to Yours Truly)

SC: I want to know why they're saying I have no room.
    Me: I apologize sir/ma'am/asstart, they unfortunately are correct. Due to a matter outside of our control, our hotel was overbooked tonight, and all of our rooms were filled during the day.
    SC: That's bullshit, I want my damn room, and you gave it away? We've been travelling all day to get here, now get me a room.
    Me: I'm sorry sir, this is not the news I want to give you, but unfortunately my hands are tied...our rooms have been filled already, I have no beds left in the hotel.

Now, this conversation happens every time...after a certain point, the radio in my head just goes off, and I enjoy the music until the person calms down and realizes there's nothing we can do...we're just the messengers getting slaughtered by the angry generals. The last one I had this night, however, was a real doozy.

I get called back up to the desk, and when I walk out the first thing I see is a couple, and I know I am screwed. The man is wearing nothing but New Jersey Devils gear, he is beet red, and his hands are clinched. I can see the blood vessels bulging from about 15 feet away. The woman is pregnant, and fairly well along, so now I not only know that I am screwed, I feel like a dickhead too since I'm walking a very pregnant woman. Great.

Now, we have the above conversation almost word-for-word, and things start to get progressively worse. Here's the way the rest goes after my last comment above.

SC - Obvious
    Me - Why me? Oh yeah, see signature...
    SCW - SC's Wife
    (Note, I know their suckiness was brought on by what the hotel did, but hey, I've already used the acronym )

SC: Look asshole, we've been having problems getting here all day. Now either you get me a room, or you and I are going to take a walk outside.
    Me: (Appraising...I'm not a small guy, but hockey fans are always a bitch in a fistfight...this could be a problem) Sir, I realize you're upset, but what would you like me to do? Our rooms were filled completely, every one of them. I know you want a room, but there is nothing left here.
    SC: Then you go up to our room that you gave away, and you take the people in there out and kick them to another damn hotel.
    Me: I can't do that. The rooms are filled, there is nothing I can do to change that.
    SCW: That's crap, jackass. You get them out of our room, or we'll call the damn police right now and force you to do it.
    Me: (Heh lady, the fact that I know the overnight officers by name and feed them coffee nightly makes me doubt that) I'm sorry, I know you don't believe a word of it, but I really am. If I could do anything with a room, I would, but I have no options; the hotel was unfortunately over-sold tonight, and I have nothing left to give.
    SC: Well we're not leaving. You get us a damn room, throw someone out, and do it now.
    Me: Sir...
    SC: Right fucking now!

I'll stop for a moment and note that, once again, I'm not a small guy (about 6'3", 200, and a fairly good build). I do some wrestling and Jujitsu, so I can defend myself if needed, but I'm a very defensive-minded guy and I would never punch someone unless I had zero options left, and it was a matter of saving my health. That said, I am on my toes at this point: he has made one threat early on, and as of his last shout, he looked like he was damn near ready to jump over the counter and have a go at it.

Suddenly I become aware of just how much attention we're gathering, since I've been focused 100% on him and his wife at this point. I see movement and notice that my entire security staff has heard the commotion from 3 hallways away, and come out to make sure nothing's getting violent. This makes me less nervous, until I notice that a line about 6 deep has just formed...and SC and SCW catch my eye movement, and notice them as well.

SC: I hope you're not checking in, because they gave your rooms away.

Shit. The entire line has just turned hostile, and I can see them getting out their torches and pitchforks, and I die a little more inside. Anyway, the back-and-forth between Me, and SC/SCW goes on and on, and generally repeats what it says above numerous times. This goes on for, truthfully, long enough for the front desk folks to get through the ENTIRE line that formed, and get them sent off to their hotels. One of the night auditors, S, passes me a note that they found a hotel 20 minutes away with a room (as opposed to the one 90 minutes away that they were going to originally), and I relay this. We go back and forth some more, but I can tell SC is running out of steam. SCW is now crying (and I feel like even more of a dickhead), and I'm doing everything I can to make them realize that I really am honestly sorry about all of this.

Finally, after 1 hour of arguing and placating, I manage to calm them enough to get them sent off to their new hotel. They end up getting an entirely free stay, free food and beverage, free amenities sent to their room, the whole works, and they actually end up sending me a thank you and an apology, which I guess redeems them from any SC-ness to a certain degree.

It was one of those encounters that just left me drained...and I could sum it up easily: Who really wants to walk a man and his pregnant wife after they've spent 13 hours travelling due to airport delays? Not me!

I hate the oversell policy.
    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

It doesn't redeem them. I really don't blame the reaction, but threatening physical violence means a trip to the police station. GTFO NOW!!!

Comment

I was actually waiting for the asstard to call the police and see how far that got him.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
        I hate the oversell policy.
        If it makes you feel better, so do the customers.

My husband and I had a trip to Virginia. 1st off my husband somehow managed to lose our plane tickets. We had to get new tickets for a later flight. Flight is due at 7:00pm and then we'd have a 2 hour drive in our rental car when we get to Virginia. All that with a 1 1/2 year old.

We get to the airport on time and our flight is delayed, by 3 hours. It's now a 10:00 flight. Mind you my minion's bed time is normally 8 at this time. So the minion is bored out of his skull at the airport and cranky from not getting bed time.

We finally get to our hotel and guess what. No rooms. All I can say is thank god my husband was the one that talked to the guys. After chasing my son everywhere in an airport and snapping matches with my husband due to both of us being pissy, him coming out and saying "They're out of room" had me seeing red. Specially since we had to drive 30 more minutes to get where they put us up and I had called the place a number of times that day to make sure they had a room for us. Last call had been when we landed.

My husband actually had to grab me cause I was getting out of the car while he was starting to put it in gear. He kept going "Drae it's not their fault! Breath honey!". Not sure how he got my seatbelt on again and the car moving before I could escape though.
        "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

I've never worked in a hotel and did not know they did that. It seems like a very stupid, greedy policy to me. Because of situations just like that. If I was that man, I probably would have been cussing too. He still sucked for wanting to fight you, but OH MAN would I have been pissed.
          I hate expedia too. I'm sorry that happened to you.

Comment

Hotels have always overbooked. It's even in the Bible just ask Mary and Joseph.

Comment

Re: thread title
              ...way!
              Talk this way!
              You tol' me to...
              Walk this way!
              </screechy guitar>
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

It sounds like you guys lose a lot of money doing that over-selling thing. Free stays, free food....Does your hotel have to pay for that if they get walked to another one? How is it profitable?
                Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

I have to say, our inns are better than most on the oversells. Normally we only do 1 or 2 at most. Which is, in my opinion, 1 or 2 too many. But, I'm no longer in Reservations (woo hoo!) so it is now officially someone else's problem. And the guests' problem.

Comment

Khiras, by virtue of being both hilarious and local to me (I'm a Lakewoodian), I think you're among my new favorite posters.
                    My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

Wow I don't know. I almost would have had the same reaction as him, save for the "let's walk outside". I would have been royally pissed.. damn that's the worst policy ever.

Comment

Quoth jerkface11 View Post
                        Hotels have always overbooked. It's even in the Bible just ask Mary and Joseph.
                        Now I have stopped giggling, and reminded myself to pass this to my co workers in the morning; I hate overselling too. I think it'd be my only redeeming quality in this kind of situation (I hope) I know it's not the fault of the person who's telling me this.
                        "So you think they named this ship the "Chimera" because there's a monster on board?" Tony DiNozzo

"They did not name it the puppy" Ziva David - NCIS, Chimera

Comment

It's really one of the worst situations you can be in. I really can't blame their reaction, because after that amount of travel, with a pregnant wife on top of it, and to find out I'd have to drive another 90 minutes to another hotel? I would be tearing my hair out and crying. The only problem is, there's nothing you can do about it. I know that if you could have possibly found a way to get them a room in that hotel, you would have done it in a heartbeat. Hell you managed to find them a room a third of the driving time. If you'd said that to me, I would have been crying and thanking you. But that's mostly because I cry a lot.

I honestly feel so bad for you and cringe whenever I read stuff like this.
                          It's like the people in Vegas who have sex in video-monitored elevators.. -MoxisPilot
                          The elevators are monitored?!!! OH CRAP!!! -Sheldonrs

Comment

My hotel always tried this, and I always fought back. I usually won, too. The boss would be calling every fifteen minutes throughout the night asking if the lingering reservations had checked in, I'd say no, and she'd scream at me to sell the rooms. I'd refuse.

Then, usually around three or four in the morning, the last reservation would get in. I never overbooked. If she did, then she got to deal with it, including one time when I called her at a wedding she'd gone to, and let the guest howl at her about selling his room.
                            Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
                              It sounds like you guys lose a lot of money doing that over-selling thing. Free stays, free food....Does your hotel have to pay for that if they get walked to another one? How is it profitable?
                              If you look at it in the long run, the hotel usually ends up ahead...basically, for every night we do walk, there's usually quite a few where we don't, and get a perfect fill. Those nights equate to a lot of profit, since we re-sell the rooms to fill completely, and then we have a certain number of no-shows who will pay anywhere between $150-$300 depending on the night (more, if they get a really nice room, less if they use Expedia or someone). This means that, if there are 20 no shows and we fill all but 3 rooms, and no one shows up to walk, we make thousands of dollars in the short run.

By miscalculating, they lose some of that back in comp rooms, but the majority of the time the house comes out ahead. That said, there are some nights that are just idiotic, and we have one coming up that (thank god) I'm off work for.

Generally put, being 30-40 rooms oversold with 500 arrivals isn't too bad...odds are, we'll only walk a couple. Being 30-40 rooms oversold with under 60 arrivals means someone screwed up, and I seriously feel sorry for my co-workers who have to deal with that one

Edit: Also, as for being walked, there are a lot of people who enjoy it, and will actually volunteer for it. This may sound insane, but you have to look at the perks again: by walking to another hotel, you get at least 1 free night, maybe 2, free travel (most hotels will pay for your taxi, and if you had to valet/self park, they will cover that as well), and you'll probably get some free food too if you get a nice manager. By being walked, you can instantly save hundreds of dollars off your bill, so some people will leap at the opportunity. As a result, our hotel does have ONE "saving grace" practice, and that is offering voluntary walks to some people earlier in the day. The kind-hearted, money-saving types absolutely love it, believe it or not.
                              Last edited by KhirasHY; 07-24-2008, 11:24 PM.
                              "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                              "What IS fun to fight through?"
                              "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Working...
                              X