This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning Ventriloquism

Until yesterday, I worked in an electronics store. I've never been much of a ventrioquist, but within two weeks of getting the job I learned how to say "The warranty doesn't cover stupidity." without moving my lips.

Example:
    Cust.: I'd like to return this phone. [The cheap one I made you spend 90 minutes selling me yesterday.]
    Me: What's wrong?
    Cust.: The Caller ID doesn't work.
    Me: Did you call the phone company to subscribe to caller ID.
    Cust.: No, I thought you were going to set it up.
    Me: Caller ID is a service that has to be set up through the phone company. To make the caller ID work you need to call your phone company and tell them you want to subscribe to caller ID.
    Cust.: Why didn't you tell me that yesterday when I bought it from you.
    Me: I did tell you. I remember hearing myself say, "Now, in order to get caller ID on this phone, you need to subscribe to caller ID through the phone company."
    Cust.: But you told me you could set that up for me.
    Me: No, you asked me if I could set that up for you and I said, "Unfortunately not, it has to be done through the phone company." Which is a nice way of saying, "No."
    Cust.: Well, I still want to return it. You should be clearer about these things when you're selling things.
    Me (beginning to ring the return): -The ooarranty doesn't cother Stootidity (The warranty doesn't cover stupidity.)
    Last edited by boffomusic; 09-24-2006, 06:19 AM. Reason: emphasis

Whenever a customer says, "You should..." to me, I always stick it back to the customer.

In this case, I would have said, "So you're saying that there's nothing wrong with the phone; you just don't want to take the time to set up caller ID service." More or less verbatim. The customer really needs to be called out on his bulls**t.

I think it might be just as well that I don't handle returns at my store....
    "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
    -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

Quoth boffomusic View Post
      Until yesterday, I worked in an electronics store.
      Why until yesterday? Did the customer hear you and complain?
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

No, I quit as I start school soon and won't have the time for 2 jobs.

Comment

**********English to Suckycustomerese Translator**********

English:"Unfortunately not, it has to be done through the phone company..."

Suckycustomerese: "Why yes! I would be eternally thrilled to set up the Caller ID for you! "

Mike
          Meow.........

Comment

Working...
          X