This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    This is where Mapquest driving directions come in handy. They give you the exit number plus the streets that exit goes to.

That is, assuming your state assigns numbers to exits.
    Sorry, but Mapquest has on a couple of occasions provided me with incorrect instructions. One time, I was looking for an insurance company off a certain road, and the directions took me way out east to the beaches, ten miles from the destination. Turned out the building and road they were on were new (although they'd been there six months!) and Mapquest did not have the address built in properly. I had to call the place, and the person on the other end let out a puff of air, like he was annoyed at having to give the directions over and over again.

My state has numbers for exits, but that was another headache long ago. They use to have them in numerical order, from south to north until you entered another state. Now, they are numbered depending on how many miles apart they are. For example, if you see exit 51 and it's eight more miles to the next exit, that next exit is called exit 59. It got confusing, until the DOT put up signs that had the old exit numbers next to them.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      This is where Mapquest driving directions come in handy. They give you the exit number plus the streets that exit goes to.
      Laughing quietly inside at the thought of a SC who doesn't have the sense to turn the radio down to listen to directions actually being prepared enough to pre-map their drive.

If it makes sense . . .

(P.S. IPF - this redbirds fan misses the brewcrew sigs. You were always so spot on.)

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
        Corporate (dr) is the same way; we have three of them and NONE of them connect. That's fun.
        Ellison's like that. Confused the hell out of me the first time I came up here. Looking for my friends place just off of Ellison and across from Cibola High. Took the Ellison exit and couldn't find Cibola to save my life. Then I found out that not only are there two of them, I was on the wrong side of the river!

Quoth greensinestro View Post
        Sorry, but Mapquest has on a couple of occasions provided me with incorrect instructions.
        Tell me about it. Without fail, it will send me around the block. I'm thinking because nobody's bothered to program in that Coors and Corrales are the same damn street.

Quoth greensinestro View Post
        They use to have them in numerical order, from south to north until you entered another state. Now, they are numbered depending on how many miles apart they are. For example, if you see exit 51 and it's eight more miles to the next exit, that next exit is called exit 59. It got confusing, until the DOT put up signs that had the old exit numbers next to them.
        Huh? As far as I know they've always been numbered like that in NM. At least on the interstates, north-south and east-west. The exit numbering makes sense, though. It goes off of the mile marker that it's nearest.

Although we do have an Exit 0, mainly because it sits smack on the NM-TX border in Anthony. (Funny story, years ago the State Line restaurant down there got robbed. They didn't know if they should call NM or TX police!)
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
          Corporate (dr) is the same way; we have three of them and NONE of them connect. That's fun.
          oh ours is worse... North Temple is connected to North Temple... what happens is the road splits and part of it stays grid North Temple and part of it goes off grid to go to the airport... and sense the one that goes off grid doesn't have any addresses off of them they just kept both of them named North Temple... So yeah, there are two streets, less than a block apart, with the same name... oh yeah... it confuses the tourists to no end.
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post

Huh? As far as I know they've always been numbered like that in NM. At least on the interstates, north-south and east-west. The exit numbering makes sense, though. It goes off of the mile marker that it's nearest.

Although we do have an Exit 0, mainly because it sits smack on the NM-TX border in Anthony. (Funny story, years ago the State Line restaurant down there got robbed. They didn't know if they should call NM or TX police!)
            Sorry, forgot to mention I'm in Florida, and this is the new way our interstates and the Turnpike are numbered. I guess I forgot the fact that other states may not have started this practice yet.

Comment

My favorite part of giving directions is people arguing with me about what state I'm in:

"So Kansas City...that's in Kansas, right?"

Well, to be fair: Yes and No. But I personally would not recommend wandering KCK after dark without a can of mace and a baseball bat.

Oh, my other favorite. I was telling a family friend (who lived in KC 30 years ago) that I was living up here.

F: "So, where are you living?"
              Me: "Kansas City"
              F: "No, no, where, like Raytown, Prairie Village, Lee's Summit...
              F: "Mission, Shawnee, Mission Hill, Independence..."
              Me: "Kaaansssaaasss Ciiiiittttyyyyy, Missouri"
              F: *continues to babble off names of random suburbs*
              Me: "No, I live IN Kansas City. Missouri side."
              F: *acts as if I just told her I built a new condo on Mars*
              Me: *sigh* "Near the Plaza" (Not really, but it shut her up)
              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                My favorite part of giving directions is people arguing with me about what state I'm in:

"So Kansas City...that's in Kansas, right?"

Well, to be fair: Yes and No. But I personally would not recommend wandering KCK after dark without a can of mace and a baseball bat.

Oh, my other favorite. I was telling a family friend (who lived in KC 30 years ago) that I was living up here.

F: "So, where are you living?"
                F: "No, no, where, like Raytown, Prairie Village, Lee's Summit...
                F: "Mission, Shawnee, Mission Hill, Independence..."
                Me: "Kaaansssaaasss Ciiiiittttyyyyy, Missouri"
                F: *continues to babble off names of random suburbs*
                Me: "No, I live IN Kansas City. Missouri side."
                F: *acts as if I just told her I built a new condo on Mars*
                Me: *sigh* "Near the Plaza" (Not really, but it shut her up)
                sadly I get the exact opposite

sc- so where do you live
                me- in Millcreek
                sc- Millcreek, never heard of it.
                me- it's one of the townships south of downtown
                sc- wait what is a township (for those who are asking the same question on here, it is legit, I'll explain)
                me- a township is any area large enough to have its own governing council but not large enough to be incorporated as a town or city.
                sc- well that still doesn't explain anything.
                me *sigh* It's South Salt Lake...
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                X