This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "But I have diabetes"

This just happened. I was working the service desk on the second floor. There was a couple that were just being loud enough to be annoying, but not loud enough cause complaints. Anyway one of them went to go grab something to drink. He came back with a Mt. Dew (regular not diet) and a bag of cheezits. He does not have a bookbag of anytype. We have a no food policy and he starts to open the bag.

Convo goes like this
    ME: "Please don't eat in the library. Please go outside and eat that."
    SC: "But I have diabetes!"
    ME: "I'm sorry, but you still need to go outside at least to the atrium to eat."

What I really wanted to say "REALLY?!? So why the hell are drinking a regular Mt. Dew. I hope your pump is upto the challenge or you have your insulin needles handy. Now you are either A. Stupid because you can't read at which point you shouldn't be in college, or B. Blatantly breaking the rules at which point I can kick you out. So which one is it?"

Come on! Don't use a legitimate disease to try and con me into letting you eat in the library.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Ridiculous!! As somebody with Type II diabetes (and my Mom is Type I - insulin dependent) you don't just go drinking full-sugar sodas and eating cheez chips because you're diabetic. Now I could see if he was going low, (that's no fun) but even such - people don't automatically become entitled to breaking the rules simply because of their medical condition. It couldn't have been that bad, and as any diabetic knows, high sugar drinks are the worst thing - then he'd start going HIGH.
    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

That's just stupid!

I'm hypoglycemic and sometimes my sugar starts to crash... so I carry crackers around for a bit of quick sugar until I can get real food. Or worse case, if I can't get juice or something, regular soda (a little) will up my sugar enough, but I have to get REAL food in me again soon so I don't crash worse.

Of course, I'm also allergic to aspertame and splenda, so I can't have diet anything.

But still... you know what you can & can't do. And even if I NEED something, I do it where I'm allowed!
      "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

Don't do splenda anyway. I've been diabetic (Type 1) for 23 years and Splenda has almost the same effect on us as sugar. When Diet Dew switched to splenda I could tell there was a difference and had some problems with my blood sugar for a while until I did the research and found out about the splenda problem.

Broke my heart not being able to drink Diet Dew anymore.

Comment

I always thought any sugar replacement eventually broke down to the same thing as "real sugar".

I never knew that about diabetes and Splenda as opposed to the old stuff, though. Interesting find.
          Osoroshii kangae nimo osoware masu...

Comment

Diabetic my ass....I know a few diabetics and they don't drink REGULAR sodas. That guy used that as an excuse for you to bend the rules for him.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
              Diabetic my ass....I know a few diabetics and they don't drink REGULAR sodas. That guy used that as an excuse for you to bend the rules for him.
              He might if his blood sugar was low and juice wasn't available. I do. Being high (blood sugar) is far better than being low for the short term. Being low can lead to blackouts and that can cause havoc.

There are times when for various reasons there is no other option available but a regular coke (I'm Southern it is all coke) and as a diabetic you take what you can before the level gets too low.

Comment

No. From what I saw of him, I highly doubt he was actually diabetic.
                Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Comment

No offense to any diabetics- but I am reminded of a certain comic...

Comment

my blood sugar crash around 2 every day, not because of diabetes but PCOS, so i try to eat around 1, if i cant yes i will drink a high sugar drink through out the morning/afternoon to keep it up. Because when i crash I CRASH, down to as low as 30 once. and until i eat something with protien as well as sugar its going to tryo to stay around 70 tops.
                    but most diabetics i know would never drink something with as much sugar and mt dew unless they got as low as i do, and only then to get it up to a high that will allow them to leave to get real food.

Comment

Quoth Big-box-retail-blues View Post
                      He might if his blood sugar was low and juice wasn't available. I do. Being high (blood sugar) is far better than being low for the short term. Being low can lead to blackouts and that can cause havoc.

There are times when for various reasons there is no other option available but a regular coke (I'm Southern it is all coke) and as a diabetic you take what you can before the level gets too low.
                      I'm Southern. It's all soda (or sweet iced tea). -.-
                      "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

Had a post about another story here, but I moved it to its own thread to avoid any derailing: LINKY
                        Last edited by JustADude; 08-06-2008, 10:31 AM.
                        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth bardicwench View Post
                          That's just stupid!

I'm hypoglycemic and sometimes my sugar starts to crash... so I carry crackers around for a bit of quick sugar until I can get real food. Or worse case, if I can't get juice or something, regular soda (a little) will up my sugar enough, but I have to get REAL food in me again soon so I don't crash worse.

Of course, I'm also allergic to aspertame and splenda, so I can't have diet anything.

But still... you know what you can & can't do. And even if I NEED something, I do it where I'm allowed!

Actually something that works very well for diabetics or hypoglycemics who have problem's with their sugar bottoming out, is to carry a couple honey packets with you. When you feel yourself getting low, squeeze it in your mouth, but don't swallow the honey. Try to swish it under the tongue and let it sit there. You will get fast results with the absorption through the mucus membranes in your mouth.
                          Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.---Bullet Tooth Tony

Comment

Yea, regular pop will spike you in a hurry. I used to work in a bank and had this lady come in to cash some sort of assistance check. She was whining about how horrible diabetes was and that she couldn't work, nobody with diabetes could. So I showed her my pump and said, "Is that a fact?" The look on her face was priceless. DON'T use the disease as an excuse to be a lazy welfare mootch!! People at work will see the tubing sticking out every once in a while and ask what it is. My standard response is; "My $6,000.00 beeper."
                            If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
                            --Woodrow Willson

Comment

Quoth QASlave View Post
                              ...She was whining about how horrible diabetes was and that she couldn't work, nobody with diabetes could. So I showed her my pump and said, "Is that a fact?" The look on her face was priceless. DON'T use the disease as an excuse to be a lazy welfare mootch!!
                              My diabetic mother worked in a department store up until the day the diabetic retinopathy forced her out, and if you have an hour or three to spare, get her going on the subject of people using diseases and disabilities to justify lying around the house on the dole all day.

She recommends glucose tablets or maple syrup packets for a quick boost, by the way.
                              Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 08-06-2008, 03:22 PM.
                              Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Working...
                              X