This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Man Plague

I have come to the conclusion that I am singlehandedly causing the sickness and deaths of my potential clients.

I work with a private investing company, buying land in my area. I live in Southwest Florida (aka, Limbo, Purgatory, or simply "the place where people wait to die"). I basically use a telemarketing program to make outgoing calls and make my sales pitch to people who have owned land here from anywhere to 6 months to 40 years, and have spent anywhere between $100 and $250,000 for their land... and the market average just crashed hard here since 2006, so I'm making offers at significantly less than the "intelligent investors" spent on the land back at the peak of the market.

Regardless, now that the backstory is set, time for my reasoning! People seem to be getting more and more creative with their ways of shutting me up so I can get off the phone. So far this week, I have had several calls where people couldn't talk to me because of a death in the family. This is a regular enough excuse that I now have to train new employees on how to properly handle that call. Today alone, I've had 2 seperate deaths, a case of lyme disease, a lady who couldn't talk for the whopping 45 seconds it would take for my call because she had to take her mother to cancer treatment later, and one final person who was on their way out the door to take their mom to dialasis.

It's good to know that I am single-handedly talking to the people who live nationwide and own land here, only to call each and every one while there is a death or medical emergency going on.
    Cole's Axiom: The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant. The population is growing...

Well, there ARE a lot of old people in Florida. It's probably not that unusual to have that many deaths.

Comment

You live in Naples, dontchya? That's where I live and I call it the same thing. :P

But that really sucks, it's unfortunate on their part.

Comment

Geez, whatever happened to just "I'm not interested thank you. Goodbye."? Works for me. I can't fathom why people feel strangers need to know their intimate personal details like deaths or major sicknesses in the family. Yuk.

Comment

Maybe it was only one death and they're all related!

Comment

Quoth jerkface11 View Post
            Maybe it was only one death and they're all related!
            no no no... that's Arkansas
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Maybe the people have become weary of sales calls, and are subtly trying to weary all the telemarketers into career changes.
              Just saying.
              Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

I absolutely loathe, detest and despise unsolicited sales calls of any kind. If you call me, you will likely hear a click as soon as I determine you are a pesty telemarketer.
                It's my damned phone. I pay for it, and it's for my convenience. Just be glad I no longer use the police whistle on those of you who bother me with unwanted sales calls.

Comment

I generally stop unsolicited salespeople as soon as they say who they are and ask for their credit card number.

When they query this I explain that my time is extremely valuable so i bill it £45 per hour or part thereof. It is amazing how many people choose to hang up on me.

The only exception was the man who asked if I was interested in double glazing. "Yes" replied I "I'm incredibly interested in the stuff and have collected many examples of it. My favourite is the triple glazed pilkington K exhibition panel. What's yours?"

He hung up before I found out the answer.
                  Good customers are as rare as Latinum. Treasure them. ~ The 57th Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                    Geez, whatever happened to just "I'm not interested thank you. Goodbye."? Works for me. I can't fathom why people feel strangers need to know their intimate personal details like deaths or major sicknesses in the family. Yuk.
                    For me it's, "Can I have the name and phone number for your company?" on the rare occasion I actually talk to the telemarketer.

If I do get the information, it's off to donotcall.gov to fill in a complaint form.
                    (no caller ID, you see)
                    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Working...
                    X