This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...But It's Not Mine

So my mom was at Fred Meyer today and there was a price discrepancy on some perfume she bought. She thought the shelf said it was $5 off or something but it rang up full price and she only noticed after she'd paid. They directed her to the Service Desk to either correct a possible error or to refund her money.

She finishes and as she's walking out, realizes the kid had given her $10 too much back so she goes back to the desk.

Mom: I'm sorry, you gave me back too much change.

Sales Guy: I--I did?

M: Yes, you should have given me $x.xx and instead gave me $yy.yy.

SG: Thanks so much. (give her correct change)

SC (to Mom): Wow, that was really nice of you.

M: It wasn't my money. He gave me back too much.

SC: Yeah but you didn't have to do that

M: But it was $10 too much.

SC: (blank look of incomprehension)

It's called Honesty, people. We need more of it.
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Honesty is always the best policy.

One time i was at Popular Canada Coffee Place. (The canucks know what I mean) for lunch. I ordered my food and they sent me down to grab my bagel with out getting me to pay. I debated this throughout my meal, but decided it would be best if I told them what happened.

I got a free ten pack of bits because I was kind enough to be honest. It's kind of sad when People are shocked by people doing the right thing.

In the end it makes my job () harder.
    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Mmm love those bits and love "Popular Canada Coffee Place" too

I had a lady today who gave me $20 more dollars than she should for her order. I always count the money before hucking it in the till, hello! everyone should. When I gave it back to her, she was astounded. I could have made a $20 "tip" but what did I do? Just my job.

And good for your mom for giving it back.

Comment

It's nice to see there are still some honest people in the world.

The one time that I made a mistake and gave back too much change, the customer gave it back. I'm pretty sure that was the only time, because the manager tended to come down pretty hard on people whose drawers were short, and I never heard anything from him.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I always have to chase people out the door to give them back extra money they have gave me. They always seem surprised that I didn't just keep it.

Now one of my co-workers, he will put the extra aside and not say a word to you and if you don't come back by the time he leaves he keeps it. I told the owner about what he is doing and he told my co-worker to start leaving it in the drawer so if they do come back later or the next day we can give it back. He still does it.

Comment

I love customers who do that; they help make up for the $150 that have vanished on my watch due to douchebags pulling a change scam. (author's note: 100 of that came from a bank employee when I was buying change. That was a fun week )

Heh, I still remember one time in high school the people gave me an extra dollar in change for one of my meals. Judging by their expressions, I think I made the day of the entire cafeteria staff when I corrected that error
            Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
            --Unknown

Comment

I'd do the same thing cause after all you have to live with yourself & IF you keep money that's not yours then sooner or later you'll have to look in the mirror. You may not like what you see. In other words, your conscience WILL bother you.

Comment

Of course there is the attitude that the corporation has way more money than I do, they can afford to lose a few dollars. (Not that I'm advocating dishonesty).

Which doesn't take into consideration that the cashier might get into trouble for his/her mistake.
                "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

On the rare occasions something like that happens to me, I try to put myself in the position of the cashier and picture them getting into trouble for their drawer being short.

Oh, and it racks up good karma points. I can use all the help I can get.

Now one time, I got all the way home and it was hours later before I realized I got too much change. And I happened to have been at a Target on the other side of town while visiting a friend. I didn't return it then.
                  "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

There are two people in this world: Those that would have returned the money, and those that wouldn't even think about it. Neither group gets where the other is coming from.

That kid would have spent a long time counting and re-counting his drawer that night, and wracking his brain over where the money had gone. He might have been written up or otherwise disciplined. Is $10 worth ruining someone's evening? Of course not. The OP's mom understands this.

It's not that people are bad, it's just that they haven't taken a minute to think of someone other than themselves.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Working...
                    X