This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Big-box-retail-blues View Post
    It isn't even about a customer being a cheapskate. If a customer walks up to me as I wander my way around my store looking for people in need (associates or customers) and says, "I need a Playstation three." I have two options.

1) Hand them the PS3, say thanks, and usher them towards the check out lines.

2) "Do you mind if I ask a few questions first?"

a) How many people are going to be playing?
    b) Do you have children, if so how old are they; boy or girl?
    c) Do you have an HD television; if so are you planning to use the PS3 as your primary source of HD content (i.e. Blu-Ray)?
    VERY well said! Bravo!

It's exactly the same with computer sales except for the specific details. Most people I encounter think that new PCs include MS Office. While most do include a trial version, it's just that: a trial. And it's a trial of the home and student edition, so it doesn't include Outlook. Same thing with anti-virus/security software.

Many people also believe they can simply use their existing software library on their new PCs. Again, false, especially with Vista. I can't tell you how many people I've had to tell that Office 98 won't run. OR that unless they are planning to delete the copies on their old computer, or own multiple licenses, then legally they can't do that.

I could go on.

It's my job to at least inform people of these things and try to sell them these things, because although it may feel like a huge hit to the wallet, it's usually cheaper to get everything together, because I can offer bundle discounts. If you buy peacemeal, it's full price. Not to mention time consuming and frustrating.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
      Not to mention time consuming and frustrating.
      Gas is expensive, time is money, knowledge is invaluable.

Comment

Quoth Brightglaive View Post
        Ok, in a lot of the world (I'd go so far as to say a MAJORITY) haggling is a way of life. In some places if you don't haggle you will get fleeced or you will insult people. It's really the USA that is different than everyone else. We're the weird ones that don't haggle.

Now having said that, if I were to walk into a store with $2000 in hand and ask for a discount on some item I'm sure I could get a discount. Would it be 50%? Not likely. how about 30%? once again... not likely. 10-20%....mmmmmm...maybe. Electronics is the worst to try and haggle for. I wouldn't expect much more than 15% discount FOR CASH IN HAND. Credit card or check? No discount.

My whole point being.... how can you get a discount if you don't ask? However on the flip side you better be able to live up to your side ( buying in volume, IN CASH etc.)

(I'll probably have to duck the flying debris thrown in my direction. )
        you make a good point... and there are a lot of places where you can get a discount if you don't seriously try (be a douche and you pay full price)

good example is Jiffy Lube (I know, I'm getting screwed by having someone else do it rather than doing it myself, but hey at least if something done wrong I can blame someone else and my warranty is still in tact) today... we were talking about what I wanted done... I did signature service, with synth blend, fuel treatment, and wiper blades... the guy asked if I had any coupons and I responded "no, I didn't even realize there were coupons for Jiffy Lube... I guess I'll just do full price today" and his response was "no, you're buying enough that I'll do $5 off"
        it still came to just over $80 for all that I had done (synth blend aint cheap) but that's still better than $85.
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

coming from the other side (hotels have the same problem with worrying about margin)... we should be concerned... business doesn't make money, we don't have a job... then we can't spend money at the place that pays your paycheck and eventually you don't have a job either (this is why economic downturns are so hard to stop because it's a cascade effect).
          Yes, Smiley, I'm concerned about that. But, on a minor scale, I'm not. If a business is making negative profit on an item, they're being stupid. Loss leaders don't work anymore. The big box stores need to clue into that. They won't make up enough with $20 cables and other padded goodies.

It would probably be better said as "to get upset at people who aren't buying padding, I cannot sympathize."
          Yes, thanks for editing my post.

Also, I agree with recommending to customers that they get appropriate accessories. This is a very good idea.
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
            Loss leaders don't work anymore. The big box stores need to clue into that. They won't make up enough with $20 cables and other padded goodies.
            Don't tell W-M that -- you'll blow their whole infrastructure!

It's a real treat to be dealing with one of these nimrods who wants to buy a bike, say they haven't been on a bike since forever, used to have a 10-speed -- and why don't you sell them? -- and won't spend more than $70, because that's what they paid for their last bike, and it was wonderful!

Once -- just once -- I told a customer that $75 wasn't a lot to spend on a bike, my crankset cost more than that; she called my manager, reamed him, which of course was passed along to me.

When they look at a bike they like -- maybe (does this bike come in any other color? I really wanted XXX...) -- and see the price, they say, "It's that much? How come it's so much? Is it really that? Last week it was..." No, it wasn't -- NEVER was that price! "Wait -- the decal's coming off, this bike is defective...do you have another one in the back?"

Most of the time, the bike will be back inside of ten days, because they bought a PIECE OF SH!T that says in the manual, 'Do Not Ride Off-Road', and they proceed to take it dirt-jumping, bend a wheel, and get a new one free. Gotta love Wally -- give you a new bike every 89 days! 90 days is the limit on money back, finally some sort of structure....

Comment

Working...
            X