Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Perhaps the quarters will rain from the sky...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps the quarters will rain from the sky...

Very rarely does a guest do something that makes me want to hit them or trap them in the elevator for a few hours.

We have one guest that has been staying with us for a few months solid. I'm not sure what he does, but i'm pretty sure he deals with very few actual people because his ego and his manners are awful. He insists on being a jerk about everything. For example, he wanted his room cleaned and after i told him it would be a half hour because the housekeepers were on their lunch break he replied with "That's not my problem, my room must be cleaned in 5 minutes or I take my business elsewhere." He has even been known to lecture my manager on the finer points of running a hotel properly when he has never done so. That would be like me telling an astronaut how to land the Space Shuttle.

This morning he comes up to the desk with bags of laundry.

Jerk: I need as many quarters as you can give me.

He hands me a $50. It was a busy weekend and our manager takes Sundays off so.. sure enough... I only had a $1.25 in quarters in the till.

Me: I'm sorry i've only got 5 of them, will that be enough?

Jerk: <snort> No it will not, I want two rolls of quarters.

Of course i don't have any

Me: I only have these. What i can do though is give you some fives and you can use the change machine at the car wash across the street.

Jerk: Ridiculous, you want me to go to a car wash for change?

Me: ...yeah.

You asshole, that is a perfectly reasonable suggestion

Jerk: No, i know you have a safe somewhere with money in it. Now i want two rolls of quarters... now!

Me: Look , i'm sorry but i'm out of change for today. Your best bet is going to be the car wash across the street and i'm sure the laundromat has a change machine too.

Jerk: I can't believe this place! This is worse than the last hotel i stayed at.

He reaches over the desk and snaps his fingers a few times and snatches the $50 from my hand. He points directly at me, with his finger a few inches from my face, growls something about how my manager will know about this and storms out.

Grr!!! Yeah that one really got to me. I was about to go into the back and punch the wall a few times. But our Bosnian maintenance man who saw the whole thing said to me "Do not worry brotha, when he check out we will beat him in parking lot for you."

I wonder what happened at the last hotel he went to? They stopped serving free coffee after midnight?

Comment

And he hasn't been thrown out yet why?

Comment

Quoth Getoutofmylobby View Post
        Very rarely does a guest do something that makes me want to hit them or trap them in the elevator for a few hours.

He reaches over the desk and snaps his fingers a few times and snatches the $50 from my hand. He points directly at me, with his finger a few inches from my face, growls something about how my manager will know about this and storms out.
        Kudos for keeping your cool. And to echo rerant, he's still allowed to stay with you because? I can't stand regulars with an entitlement complex.
        "So you think they named this ship the "Chimera" because there's a monster on board?" Tony DiNozzo

"They did not name it the puppy" Ziva David - NCIS, Chimera

Comment

He hasn't been thrown out yet because he is paying quite a bit of money to stay here for so long and our manager is a first-rate toady. Someone smart would have either rented a furnished condo or went to a hotel that specializes in extended stay.

I guess if he's paying (or more likely making some company pay) $90 per night he feels he can order the staff around like he was King Farouk.

Comment

He hasn't been thrown out yet because he is paying quite a bit of money to stay here for so long and our manager is a first-rate toady.
            I love how some managers can justify the mistreatment of their staff with dollar signs.

Comment

Good on you for keeping your cool and for the comment from your maintanence guy.

You will have to let us know whether you got introuble from your manager for him not leaving you with enough change to give the jerk two rolls of quarters.
              Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Comment

"That's not my problem, my room must be cleaned in 5 minutes or I take my business elsewhere."
                The few times someone has made the threat to take their business elsewhere or that this would be the last time they entered my store, I responded with "You are too kind." None of them ever caught what it meant.

I agree that you deserve praise for keeping your cool. It actually makes those types even madder to see they are not affecting you with their tirades.
                "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                  I love how some managers can justify the mistreatment of their staff with dollar signs.
                  Well, at least, this one manager justifies the abuse of his employees with profits, as opposed to the whole lot of morons who will have their employees take the worst abuse, and still give discounts, freebies and whatnots to the SC, thus making both their employees miserable and their business less profitable...

Doesn't excuse anything, but I guess it's some kind of a lesser evil...

That said, remember folks : vote Cthulhu.
                  "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                    Come work for me...I have no problem with tossing someone out of the hotel if they earn it. Got 2 yesterday!
                    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                    "What IS fun to fight through?"
                    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

oh I hate having to kick people out... but as my other post earlier attests, I will if I have to (and the people I kicked out last night felt kinda good )

Oh and with the safe comment I just point out the sign saying "desk staff do not know combination to safe"... and guess who the only people here are today... yeah, so bugger off.
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

But our Bosnian maintenance man who saw the whole thing said to me "Do not worry brotha, when he check out we will beat him in parking lot for you."
                        I LOVE that man. He's funny.
                        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                          I LOVE that man. He's funny.
                          Ditto. Huzzah for the Bosnian maintenance guy!

Maybe you could keep a sack of oranges prepared for the joyous occasion?
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                            Maybe you could keep a sack of oranges prepared for the joyous occasion?
                            OK, now im confused. ive heard of a sock full of sand, soap in a towel, and heater hoses... but a sack of oranges? sounds like it would only make a mess.
                            This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
                            my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Quoth SteeleDragon78 View Post
                              OK, now im confused. ive heard of a sock full of sand, soap in a towel, and heater hoses... but a sack of oranges? sounds like it would only make a mess.
                              simple lay out a tarp with a lip and have some fresh orange juice w/ blood of an asshole mixed in

Comment

Working...
                              X