This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first sucky customers post... sort of

I just finished my first day of formal work ever today; a Trial Work period for one of the local Goodwill stores. Fortunately, I was in the back sorting clothes, so I didn't have to deal with any potential SCs... but I had to deal with the leavings of some decidedly sucky donors. I've compiled a list of some:

Trash: Not that bad compared to some of the other things, but still sucky. Goodwill is not a garbage dump.

A battery-powered shower CD player with leaky batteries -- and judging by the state, they had been leaky before it had been donated: Goodwill isn't a hazardous waste disposal center either. So glad I opted to wear gloves.

A package of clothes... that had glassware packed in the top: My supervisor tossed it in the bin... and the misplaced glassware immediately shattered. Think a little, please? Another good reason for me to have worn gloves.

Used thong panties: I don't care how much you think the disadvantaged might need them. I don't need to be handling your used slutty undies to check if they have stains or tears.

A yellow garter belt: Why is this one sucky? I'm fairly certain it was white when it was new. It was like a train wreck -- I couldn't stop staring at it, and one of my supervisors finally had to take it from me and put it in the salvage.

Quoth Devilot View Post
    Used thong panties: I don't care how much you think the disadvantaged might need them. I don't need to be handling your used slutty undies to check if they have stains or tears.
    Reminds me of a Golden Girls episode in which a priest caught Blanche dressed up as a nun with those kinds of things in her hands. She said she was collecting clothing for poor, sexy people.

Welcome to the board, Devilot. It has been a while since a thrift store perspective has been posted.
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Does it make me sucky that I sometimes get together a fairly large load of used things and give it all to Goodwill, including a few things I think they *probably* will throw away, but figure I might as well give them a chance to use if they can? For example, I recently donated several boxes of things-- an electric blanket, some towels, some clothes, some shoes, and some of the clothing and one pair of shoes was pretty well-worn and I couldn't really imagine anyone buying it. But then, maybe they could sell it very cheaply and someone who can't afford much else would want it...

Do you mind a few "iffy" items with a donation of lots of saleable stuff? I hate to throw something out without at least TRYING, you know?
      My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

Quoth Saydrah View Post
        Does it make me sucky that I sometimes get together a fairly large load of used things and give it all to Goodwill, including a few things I think they *probably* will throw away, but figure I might as well give them a chance to use if they can?
        I haven't really been working there long enough to have a meaningful response to that, Saydrah, although I'd personally lean towards "no". There's a difference between "items we may not be able to use", and "items that are dangerous, disgusting, or literally just a waste of time." I saw a few things there that were in such poor condition I wondered why they even bothered with donating them, rather than throwing them out... but there's a reason none of those made it onto my "sucky items" list.

Comment

Scary... /shudder

Oh...and...ZOMG NOW I MUST PLAY PUZZLE FIGHTER! D:

Devilot = the best character to use. She's just so evil~
          By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Used. Thong. Panties.

Three words that should never be seen together. I personally believe donating used undies at all is in bad taste. I mean... *shudder*

Now I need to clear my head.
            Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
            Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

These days most thrift stores, if asked, will decline bedding due to the recent prevalence of bed bugs and scabies.
              I have several times taken bedding from friends, vacating tenants in my building, or CWs, washed it in HOT water, dried it at High Temperature, put each item in a clean plastic bag with an orange and clean socks and taken it to a homeless encampment and given it away. The recipients were always happy to have them.
              (Plastic bags are very handy when you're houseless)
              "What did you have for breakfast this morning? Carnation Instant Bitch?"
              -Eric Foreman That 70's Show

Comment

What the hell was that donor thinking that they can donate a USED thong?!!! Not only is that gross, but a health risk since God knows if the donor had VD among other things. *Shudder* Welcome to CS, Devilot!
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Devilot View Post
                  Welcome Devilot!

People are so gross. I used to see that kind of thing (used undies/other gross things)often when I worked at another thrift store . I took to taking showers after work, instead of before.

(I really liked the people I worked with. Had Sundays off too. There's always perks in these things somewhere.)
                  1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                  -----
                  http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
                    Used. Thong. Panties.

Three words that should never be seen together. I personally believe donating used undies at all is in bad taste. I mean... *shudder*
                    While used clothes are regularly donated in my home, used undies are most likely to hit the the trashcan if they no longer fit. Other clothes that are clearly out of shape even for donating might be recycled into dusting cloth.
                    "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Saydrah View Post
                      Does it make me sucky that I sometimes get together a fairly large load of used things and give it all to Goodwill, including a few things I think they *probably* will throw away, but figure I might as well give them a chance to use if they can? For example, I recently donated several boxes of things-- an electric blanket, some towels, some clothes, some shoes, and some of the clothing and one pair of shoes was pretty well-worn and I couldn't really imagine anyone buying it. But then, maybe they could sell it very cheaply and someone who can't afford much else would want it...

Do you mind a few "iffy" items with a donation of lots of saleable stuff? I hate to throw something out without at least TRYING, you know?
                      I think a good rule of thumb to follow with this would be the same one with donating food.

If it's something that you yourself wouldn't wear (I don't mean fashion-wise, I mean practical-wise), then you probably shouldn't donate it.

Comment

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
                        I think a good rule of thumb to follow with this would be the same one with donating food. If it's something that you yourself wouldn't wear (I don't mean fashion-wise, I mean practical-wise), then you probably shouldn't donate it.
                        My mom used to buy "potted meat product" to give to homeless people/hitchhikers, along with cheap hats, gloves, toiletries, etc. I wouldn't eat it myself*, but if stores continue to sell it, somebody must buy it, right?

*If I was down enough on my luck to hitchhike the long stretches of cornfields around here, I would probably eat it, too.

Comment

Working...
                        X