This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get Out! (Long)

So, a couple of nights ago everything is going quite smoothly in the restaurant. Everyone's calm and having a bit of a laugh. I leave the bar area conversation to check on the two tables I'm taking care of. When I walk back towards the bar area I can see one of the customers in the bar area shouting in the face of one of our employees about the terrible service. Now I'm not being funny, but no customer should EVER come in the bar. There's glasses being passed around, cutlery being cleaned. It is OUR area, get out of it now. Understandably, coworker refuses to continue serving them and leaves them to muggins here lol.

So I figure, I wasn't in the bar at the time, I'll just play it like I don't know what's happened. I go up, nice and smiley and ask if they want desserts. They order 3 and then ask if they can have their cakes warm. The conversation goes as follows:

*PD - Me
    *SC - An abbreviation we know all too well.
    *SC #2 - Backup.

PD: I'm terribly sorry about this but we can't warm it, as we don't have a microwave.
    SC: But we've had it done before.
    PD: Not here I'm afraid... I've worked here since we opened and we tried warming cakes on top of the oven for a while but its not really safe and melts the cake far too much.
    SC #2: I'm not lying. Stop calling me a liar!
    PD: I never said you were lying. Its quite possible they do it in other stores, but we don't here.

The order decreases from 3 cakes down to 2. I ask another worker to make the cakes for me while I deal with other customers. More bad news....only one cake left. The urge to throw it in the centre of the table and declare a fight to the death was overwhelming, but nevertheless I went back and explained. I realise that running out of anything is a bit of a bitch, but still, its quite late on a Sunday night and such things are to be expected. I offered other desserts. Was even going to offer the substitute dessert for free....

SC #2: Well everything since we arrived has been a total mess.... *rattles off a list of issues, ranging from stretched truths to outright lies* Everytime we come here we get terrible service....

At this point I figure I'm not paid enough to deal with people too bloody minded to accept that life isn't always fair and if you get "bad service" everytime, stop coming here. I go get a manager to talk it through with them and go back to a table of regulars who have taken a lack of what they wanted in good grace.

They left with a hefty discount I believe . But if they do come again I definately want to be the one serving them. I find the way to deal with people continually trying to get free meals is to be far too reasonable and aggravate them with the fact they cannot complain.
Working...
X