This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let one slip

Now, from my introduction post, I told you all I worked in Tax Credits in the UK, most (if not all) of the UK people here will know what this is and will either love me or hate me

But I get stinky customers too, and today was a bad day.

The Idiot Fraudster

okay, at the end of each tax year, we send out form call Annual Declarations to people claiming tax credits, this needs to be completed by a specific date (31st of July) otherwise the claimants claim is terminated, we are able to restore claims as long as they call within 30 days of termination and everything is good. But then, you get idiots like this guy:

IF: Hey I'd like to know why I didn't receive my declaration this year
    Me: Okay, hold on I'll check through your account and see if it was issued

*Checking through his account I can see that his last application was in 06 and it had been rejected, much like that other 9 or so he had sent in. That means he wouldn't have been sent an annual declaration out

Me: Okay, checking through your account I can see there was never anything paid to you as all your applications have been rejected, this is why you were never issued a renewal pack.
    IF: Rejected? But I've been receiving Tax Credits from you for three years! £140 a week!
    Me: Well, I'm sorry sir but you must be mistaken, there is no record of you ever having a claim with us.
    *rinse, repeat about 40 times*
    IF:You what it may be, the money may be coming in under my partners name.
    Me:

This is very bad, if someone is single, the claim as a single person, and if someone is in a partnership be that marriage, living as a couple, civil partnership whatever, they claim as a joint claim. Therefore, for three year, knumpty and his partner here haven't been entitled to that money. Now, I'm not allowed to disclose much information over the phone, data protection act and all, so I tell him to go and have his partner call and check the payments.

This is where I get to send a compliance refferal to the compliance department as this is a breach of the rules.

Do the math, £140 x 52 x 3 = £21840 money that will be owed to us. No chance of disputing it either...

No wonder some people hate Tax Credits.

I may tell more later but sheesh, he was terrible.

I filled mine in on time!
    "Light a fire for someone and he will be warm all day,
    set light to someone and he will be warm for the rest of his life" Sir Samuel Vimes

Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.

Comment

Working...
    X