This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh, for...

I just spent more than an hour helping a woman choose her glasses. I don't mind, most people take somewhere between 30 minutes and an hour to choose- but most people taking that long to chose don't make you follow them around like a lost puppy, they let you pootle off and do other things and grab you to help them make a decision.

Already, our most enthusiastic and effective frame selector has been with her an hour, and given up.

You have to picture me, clutching on to about ten pairs of glasses she's 'not sure of', with my customer service smile on. You know the one.

By this point she's decided she really likes about six pairs, and suddenly she doesn't like them any more. At least six times I've thought she's finished, and then it's suddenly 'I don't like them any more.' She's made certain to mention she's 'head of a department' dealing with young offenders, (and I thought , yeah, do you knock them out with your perfume? Jeez.) And how our designer range isn't 'top range' and the other store has Chanel, but she doesn't want to go there, and she wants something that's wacky, but it can't have nose pads, because they get tangled in her hair and it HAS to be plastic, and she's not sure, and not sure, and not sure, AND NOT SURE.

She makes ME try on two pairs of the ones she likes, to see if 'I'd look at you and think I like your glasses', despite the thing I'm small, skinny, pale and redhaired, and she is tall, large, tanned and a brunette, and we have completely different face shapes.

All the way through it's
    'Oooh, I HATE choosing glasses, it;s horrible, it;s why I ut this off... does this have more bling, does this come in another colour, this isn't wide enough, this is too harsh, this isn't dramatic enough, Naaah, Naaah, naaah, NYAAAH NYAAAH NYAAAH!'

Just SHUT UP AND CHOOSE SOME F+CKING FRAMES.

She refuses to let me see her prescription, despite the fact I explain to her that it's easier to recommend glasses with a prescription handy. (it is, the prescription lets us know if, for example, they have a really bad - prescription that will look dreadful in a huge, rimless frame) but no, no prescription for me!

She finally (it is now 5:10, I go home in 20 minutes) decides on a pair (that admittedly are quite nice) enthuses about them for ages, and I palm her off on a dispenser.

Who, 15 minutes later ushers her out of the door.
    'That woman is a nutcase' he says, exhausted. All I can do is nod.
    Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post
    She refuses to let me see her prescription, despite the fact I explain to her that it's easier to recommend glasses with a prescription handy. (it is, the prescription lets us know if, for example, they have a really bad - prescription that will look dreadful in a huge, rimless frame) but no, no prescription for me!
    But...but...it's too EASY that way.
    "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

When I'm a customer at the optician, I just want to be left alone to find my frames. Now I will admit, one time the associate asked what I was looking for and pointed out a particular pair that I liked, but I wanted to look over all my options. I admit I was surprised that her first choice also became mine.

Usually though, I don't want people tagging along. It puts the pressure on me when I really just want to browse and/or poke fun at choices I would never dream of purchasing. For example, what does a $500.00 pair of frames that I would never ever buy feel like? It's just as well, I usually take most of an hour to choose my frames.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

but it can't have nose pads, because they get tangled in her hair
        I totally agree on that part, but not because of the hair. ... if you've ever had one of those pads fall off and you're not able to replace it... the damn things can gouge your face. I hate nose pads with a passion.

but... i don't need my hand being held when picking out glasses. i browse better when i'm left alone anyway.

Comment

Now, I really do need guidance on frames. I just get overwhelmed. I know a few things I want, but I get boggled. But it's never taken me more than 20 minutes or so.
          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I took my mom with me. Took us a while to go through everything, asked the employees for advice on shapes, looked some more, then wound up going with the first pair I actually liked enough to try on. (Also the most expensive of the ones I seriously considered, of course )
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I usually go in by myself to get glasses. Then again, I go to Costco (because they're cheap!) with my prescription and spend about 15mins to choose my frames and pay for everything. I'm sort of non-complicated like that.
              Do I dare
              Disturb the universe?
              In a minute there is time
              For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

T.S. Eliot

Comment

Oy..

Poor thing..

Yeah.. some people just can't be alone to be indecisive..

Comment

Heh - if I can see at the end of getting new glasses, I'm happy.

Rapscallion

Comment

If she's that fussy why doesn't she wear contacts...?

A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

It took me a while (but not an hour!) to pick out my very first pair of glasses, but after that I had a clue what I liked and didn't like (MUST have nose pads!) and the main thing I need to ask is "will my prescription fit in these?" That question is not as stupid as it sounds.

But what I most hate about buying glasses is that I can't see what I look like in the glasses without my glasses on. If you know what I mean. And it's even harder right after an eye exam, where they've put drops in your eyes and stuff. I wish they could set up something like a photo booth and let you take digital pix of yourself and view them on a decent-sized screen, like a laptop screen. You could put on your own glasses and look at them and then erase them all when you're finished. Wouldn't that be great?

By the way, not everyone can wear contacts.
                      Women can do anything men can.
                      But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                      Maxine

Comment

We have that!

We also have a digital version on our website.
                        Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                          If she's that fussy why doesn't she wear contacts...?

She hates contacts.

She told me that at least three times.

I feel oddly... naked... without glasses. I also look about 12.

Comment

That's why I have worn contacts since age 11. I always hated glasses. I refused to wear them in school, teachers called my parents, they figured I was old enough to have contacts. Never have gone back, never will.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

After having worn glasses for more than 20 years, I got my first pair of contact lenses last month. Love them.

That said - I always would drag my Mom along when I went shopping for new glasses because I had the same problem, and she could let me know what looked good.
                              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                              X