This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Eben56 View Post
    "you know you're from Maine" lists that had:..
    #10: You've ever made a meal from 2 Jordan's red hot dogs, a bag of Humpty Dumpty potato chips, and a can of Pepsi.
    You missed Devil Dogs. kept in the freezer preferably.

The split top buns are great for lobster rolls too.
    I feel crazy. Like I'm drunk and trapped in a water globe and someone won't stop shaking it.
    -The Amazing E
    Zonies social group now open!

Comment

Quoth mayacat View Post
      I live in MA, and you can get another type of bun here. You can get this kind in all grocery stores: http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thu...ot_dog_bun.jpg
      To the best of my knowledge (I'm also from MA), that style of hot dog bun is called a "Coney Island Roll" or "Coney Island Style" in New England. The flat sided ones as pictured at the beginning of the thread are just "Hot Dog Rolls." This seems to be fairly consistent across brands in New England, except in the case of hot dog buns that are fresh baked on open pans, which inevitably come out as Coney Island rolls.

Personally, I prefer the Coney Island, at least from the brand we usually buy (Market Basket) because the other style is too soft and can barely stand up to its own weight, let alone the weight of a fully loaded dog, especially once they get a little damp from the moisture of the dog. Plus the Coney Island ones seem to taste better.

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
      To answer the inevitable question "moonpies" are these snackcakes. Two soft chocolate cookies, with marshmallow filling in the middle, all covered with chocolate. At least, that's what my memory is telling me they are. I have actually never had a moon pie.
      What you describe is closer to a Whoopie Pie (another New England term). Two cookie-sized cakes with creme filling in the middle, though not chocolate dipped. Although sometimes called "moon pies" they really aren't. In fact "Moon Pie" is a registered trademark of the Chattanooga Bakery, which makes the original MoonPie, which - as already described here - is two graham cracker cookies with a marshmallow filling which is then dipped in chocolate.

Whoopie Pies are awesome, though messy. I've never actually had a genuine Moon Pie, and have always wanted one. And, come to think of it, I realize now that I should have gotten one a few years ago when I was in Tennessee, but blew the chance.
      Last edited by Dave1982; 08-19-2008, 01:47 AM.
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth StormCMage View Post
        again I never understood that mentality, its food, people make it differently anyways, why fight?
        My thoughts exactly! Besides, eating the local food the way the locals prepare it is part of the fun! How else do you learn about wonderful things like knishes, moon pies, frito pies and the differences between New York and Chicago style pizza?
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

yum knishies, now you made me hungry
          http://dragcave.net/user/LadyMage

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
            To the best of my knowledge (I'm also from MA), that style of hot dog bun is called a "Coney Island Roll" or "Coney Island Style" in New England. The flat sided ones as pictured at the beginning of the thread are just "Hot Dog Rolls." This seems to be fairly consistent across brands in New England, except in the case of hot dog buns that are fresh baked on open pans, which inevitably come out as Coney Island rolls.

Personally, I prefer the Coney Island, at least from the brand we usually buy (Market Basket) because the other style is too soft and can barely stand up to its own weight, let alone the weight of a fully loaded dog, especially once they get a little damp from the moisture of the dog. Plus the Coney Island ones seem to taste better.
            Here in New York (not the city), we call the top-openers "New England Style", the side-openers "Hot Dog Rolls". We also call the white-skinned Snappies "Coneys".

My favorite is a Chili Cheese Coney with onions, or a Cheese Coney with Brown Mustard. Always on a New England Roll, and preferably with a Dr Pepper.
            Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

Quoth Arcade Man D View Post
              Here in New York (not the city), we call the top-openers "New England Style", the side-openers "Hot Dog Rolls". We also call the white-skinned Snappies "Coneys".

My favorite is a Chili Cheese Coney with onions, or a Cheese Coney with Brown Mustard. Always on a New England Roll, and preferably with a Dr Pepper.
              Makes sense to me.

Now you've made me want a chili dog.
              "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
              X